Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gavink View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gavink Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First Time Build
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:15pm
Budget:
Under $3000

Expectations:
Just like most people, I'm hoping to get the best available performance, support and upgradability for years to come, given my budget. I'm close to purchasing, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible. I've seen some thoughtful feedback on this forum, so I'd hoped to get an opinion on this build. Specifically, there seem to be myriad combinations of components and manufacturers out there and I'm most concerned with what I don't know.   

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Usage:
Gaming, Photos, Web, Algorithmic modeling in Excel

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 2828381     1     
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Black - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair HD Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: Microsoft Office 2019 Home & Student (PC Attach Key PKC Only, No Pre-install)
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Digital Storm Devastator Bundle (RGB) Keyboard & Mouse
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:03pm
Welcome to the forum Gavink !

You have made some good choices here on the excellent i7-9700K 8-core CPU and free Stage 1 Overclock, nice SATA III SSD for Drive2, solid Corsair 850 W PSU, excellent all around midrange NVidia RTX 2070 Super GPU.    There are other components that I think would benefit you greatly from some improvements... A few solid tweaks only adds $356.

Velox build2. Config # 2828869   $3,656 minus DS Sale $300 Off = $3,356 Total + Free Shipping

* Upgraded to full featured ASUS ROG Z390 Strix-H ATX motherboard.....Supports SLI....stronger (Realtek) ROG SupremeFX S1220A Audio codec...

* Upgraded to 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz RGB RAM...Corsair lifetime warranty, RGB LED

* Upgraded to Corsair H100i 240 mm AIO Stage 2 cooler...longer 5 yr warranty, RGB LED, better performance

* Upgraded Drive1 to a Samsung Evo 970 Pro 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD.....NVME SSD are 5 X faster than standard SATA III SSD.   An important feature of Z390 mobos, your board has two ports for M.2 NVME SSD drives.

* Upgraded case fans to Corsair LL Series fans.....stronger performance, 2 yr warranty, Dual light loop RGB LED in both fan hub and fan guard ring for 16 individually controllable RGB LEDS, and includes one Corsair Lighting Node Pro module that links and syncs all Corsair RGB components of your build and any Corsair RGB peripherals.   You would use Corsair iCUE software to control all fans and to design endless RGB lighting effects...including off...lol.

**We don’t recommend GPU Overclocking on air cooling alone...Not enough added GPU performance compared to the extra heat and stress on the card.

These small changes result in a stronger faster higher quality build that should last you a long time.    See what you think...

Edited by HockeyBuck - 14 Jan 2020 at 8:07pm
gavink View Drop Down

Quote gavink Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
Thanks so much for your reply, HockeyBuck. I'd like to take some time to consider your recommendations and tweak the build. Would you be willing to take another look and talk more about it once I do that?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
Sure.   We on the forum try to offer suggestions based on what we ourselves have learned.    I have ordered four DS rigs since 2011 and they all run great.   Sometimes a customer needs someone to help them refine their build a bit.   We just want you to get the best rig you can put together, like we have done.   You choose what works for you!
ArnoldKMB View Drop Down

Quote ArnoldKMB Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:32am
Don't get me wrong you've made nice choices in most cases but building a $3k pc and buying GTX 2070, really?
I also agree on buying EVO 970 instead of your first SSD of choice.
Edit: also consider kb&mouse choice again, I'm not a fan personally but this is mostly personal preference.

Edited by ArnoldKMB - 15 Jan 2020 at 3:34am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:24am
Originally posted by ArnoldKMB

Don't get me wrong you've made nice choices in most cases but building a $3k pc and buying GTX 2070, really?

And what's the objection? It's a $600 card considered THE price/performance pick at 1440p. We don't even know his resolution. His budget is stretched pretty tight as it is. The implication he might NEED another 8-12 frames per second doesn't seem helpful IMHO.

@gavink: If it's at all necessary you get back closer to the $3000 budget, you don't have to have 32GB of RAM for gaming now, if ever. The Corsair fans are a "nice to have" and a righteous light show no doubt, but not a "must have". Or, the 2TB Samsung SSD is less expensive elsewhere and easy to install. I do recommend you stay above the $3000 mark for the extra discount, so not all these have to go. If you're okay with stretching the budget, by all means go for it! Just sayin'.

Edited by Cretae - 15 Jan 2020 at 4:38am
gavink View Drop Down

Quote gavink Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:46am

I also agree on buying EVO 970 instead of your first SSD of choice.
Edit: also consider kb&mouse choice again, I'm not a fan personally but this is mostly personal preference.

Thanks for the feedback. I threw in the KB & mouse just to have something to get going, given the price. I plan on doing some more research on those once I get the rig squared away. As far as the 2070, I understand it to be a good option for 1440, which is the monitor I plan on using. Am I going in the wrong direction?
gavink View Drop Down

Quote gavink Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Cretae

And what's the objection? It's a $600 card considered THE price/performance pick at 1440p. We don't even know his resolution. His budget is stretched pretty tight as it is. The implication he might NEED another 8-12 frames per second doesn't seem helpful IMHO.

@gavink: If it's at all necessary you get back closer to the $3000 budget, you don't have to have 32GB of RAM for gaming now, if ever. The Corsair fans are a "nice to have" and a righteous light show no doubt, but not a "must have". Or, the 2TB Samsung SSD is less expensive elsewhere and easy to install. I do recommend you stay above the $3000 mark for the extra discount, so not all these have to go. If you're okay with stretching the budget, by all means go for it! Just sayin'.

Thanks, Cretae. Definitely helpful, and I'm with you 100% in trying to get to just over $3k to take advantage of the discount.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:17am
Sienna351 View Drop Down

Quote Sienna351 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:39am
I'd like to take some time to consider your recommendations and tweak the build. Would you be willing to take another look and talk more about it once I do that?

mybkexperience

Edited by Sienna351 - 27 Jan 2020 at 12:52am
digitalstorm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:50am
Sure we would. It would be best if you start your own thread in "Configuratio Discussion", though.
 Post Reply Post Reply