FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time buyer what you think?

Post Date: 2019-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chriside420 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First time buyer what you think?
    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 at 4:22pm
First time buyer. Already purchased. Just added what i thought i wanted in configurator. And would like to know anyones thoughts on the build. (Nice build dude) or (dont do that dummy) all thoughts welcome.   

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Sub-Total: $4,485.00
Tax (0%): $0.00
S&H:
Grand Total: $4,884.00
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 4:15am
Assuming your budget allows for your build to be consistent quality across all systems, there are some significant gimps.

The mobo is the cheapest one here on a high-end build. At minimum, you would want the Asus ROG Strix. MSI Gaming Pro Carbon is better.

For a mere $11, you step up to Corsair RAM. Your warranty goes from 1 year to lifetime.

The DS power supply also carries just the one year DS parts warranty. The Corsair RM850x is warranted for 10 years, and will give you around 150W of overhead in that monster Aventum. Better, of course, would be the Corsair 1200W, but quite a premium.

You MUST NOT get the DS M.2 SSD. It is a mere SATA drive bound to disappoint you with poor performance. You should select at a minimum the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO. The 500GB 970 EVO PLUS is newer, faster but not by a lot. BOTH of them are ~5x faster as the DS SATA, and come with 5 year warranties.

If these quite necessary upgrades are not in your budget, I suggest you consider a Lumos case, which would save you over $400 and make everything affordable, including a CPU upgrade, a Stage 2 overclock, and maybe a case fan upgrade. If you did that last, you wouldn't need a module to control them, Corsair iCue software could do that.

Alternative to that, you could consider if you really must have the RTX 2080 Ti. If you're not trying to game at 4K, the 2080 SUPER will be killer at 1440p for something like $580 saved.

We don't advise disabling and tweaking Windows.

Hope it helps.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:49pm
Alright. Thanks for the response. If ive already made my purchase, how would i go about makeing cha ges to my order?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:53pm
Call DS directly with your order number.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 12:58pm
Ok so will they just recharge me the difference during the order change?

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Cretae

and maybe a case fan upgrade. If you did that last, you wouldn't need a module to control them, Corsair iCue software could do that.

Hope it helps.
    Are you saying if i get the corsair ll series (for instance) i won't need to buy the corsair airflow control board?

Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:17pm
If your budget allows, I would suggest the Corsair Magnetic Levitation fans (quiet). They come with RGB color and are controlled with the free iCUE software download - no need to buy the control board. That would certainly complement the DS Internal RGB lighting that you are getting.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Bob100

If your budget allows, I would suggest the Corsair Magnetic Levitation fans (quiet). They come with RGB color and are controlled with the free iCUE software download - no need to buy the control board. That would certainly complement the DS Internal RGB lighting that you are getting.
would it also complement the remote control rgb advanced led lighting?
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:13pm
Your configuration lists "Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System".

On my order I selected the "Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)". Yes, the Corsair Magnetic fans would look nice with this Advanced option. That is the route that I went.

The remote would control those LED lights, while the Corsair iCUE software would control the fan lights. I also ordered the Corsair Vengence RGB Pro RAM sticks, which are also controlled by the iCUE software.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:35pm

Your configuration lists "Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System".

On my order I selected the "Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)". Yes, the Corsair Magnetic fans would look nice with this Advanced option. That is the route that I went.

The remote would control those LED lights, while the Corsair iCUE software would control the fan lights. I also ordered the Corsair Vengence RGB Pro RAM sticks, which are also controlled by the iCUE software.
you are correct sir. My order does indeed list the DS lighting. However as suggestions have come in i keep changing little things and noticed that i could upgrade that as well. Might as well make all changes now before i talk to DS. I think ive just about got it all figured out. Thanks for all the suggestions.
ShrikeArghast View Drop Down

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 6:54pm
You're going to regret getting anything less than a 1 TB SSD.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 1:55pm
Ok all done mucking about. Changes and upgrades done and ordered. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

And now to the waiting...
Here is my final build.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair HX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (14 Fans Total) (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (3x Boards)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Sub-Total: $5,946.00
Tax (0%): $0.00
S&H:
Grand Total: $6,345.00
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 5:29pm
That is a very impressive configuration. Congratulations!

Curious as to why you opted out on the Advanced Remote Control Interior LED Lighting?

Edited by Bob100 - 03 Oct 2019 at 5:30pm

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 6:31pm

That is a very impressive configuration. Congratulations!

Curious as to why you opted out on the Advanced Remote Control Interior LED Lighting?

Well i dont completely understand myself. But its somthing to do with the lighting being programmed through the remote instead of the control module. However i asked and the DS internal lighting is still multi color and effect-able.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 3:42am
So, it wasn't clear whether you had the budget for all the bells and whistles that just seem appropriate if you're going to go Aventum. You do, and now, you have them! Very well done, Chriside420, you will have no regrets about the performance or the look of your new beast. All the best!           

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 3:21pm
Well technically i didn't. Sort of stumbled onto a order now and upgrade in a few days sort of loophole.
So i had enough money to build a nice machine. However... it was spread across multiple cards. And you can't split a payment over multiple cards. Eh.. sigh..
So in steps BREAD. Sure... we will finance 2500 of that build. Awesome. I thought i can push that pretty far since i can split payment between card and bread....and so my first build was ordered. And i posted it here. Got some suggestions for making it a better build. Ok well then i guess ill call and see about upgrading it. Oh double awesome, i can now use a whole new card. Sweet. So i tweaked the build to the current one, used my new payment method and viola. The machine i wanted and was able to split the hell out of the payment.

Moral of the story is... if you need to split a payment for your builds just order under your first payment limit then Call and upgrade using another. Hope this helps anyone wanting to split payments to get a better build.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 2:20pm
Is it normal to spend 10 days in stage 2? (Swore i wasn't gonna post about waiting) but i entered stage 2 on oct 5th. And it says 2-5 days. Not 5-10 days...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 4:14am
It's not uncommon. Many times one might see two or three stages in a couple of days, once it gets going. It's been said elsewhere that a calendar month overall seems to be how it shakes out, but I've also seen that the back to school rush has tapered off. They do their best to ship in 20-25 business days.

You can always e-mail management if you're concerned. Your build is a good deal more complex than average.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:48am
Nope.good enough for me.
Thanks for the response.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 11:38am
DING, Stage 7. Sooo exited. ~(^_^)~
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 3:10am
    Congrats!

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 10:04pm
Well shipped finally. Unfortunately R+L won't have it
To me until the 6th... But the wait is almost ovee. Im so stoked.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 10:38pm

Remember.... When you take delivery, we usually recommend you take careful photos...as shippers can sometimes cause issues or damage.    DS knows this well and they will have Quality Control photos and test records to show it was all perfect when boxed for shipping out.     Document everything for your own use either way.    Make sure connections are snug, and video card is firmly seated down in its PCIE slot before you power on.   Let us know how it goes...we do like seeing pics of new rigs getting to their home base!    

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 11:23am
Ok. Arrived yesterday. Checked it out. Everything seemed fine. Nothing seems loose. To be completely fair and honest i didn't "reseat" anything as it all seems snug as a bug. No leaks that i can tell. However.... got 2 windows bsod crashes in the couple of hours i had it running. It wasnt under stress... just downloading cod. Twice it crashed during the download process. Also there's a huge air bubble in the gpu cooling block . And the processor cooling block seems to be an 8th from being full. Im kind of angry. Also not sure if they overclocked my cpu...dont know how to tell. When i right click this pc properties it shows cpu at 3.6 dont know if it shows overclock there. However i paid for a stage 2 overclock. And it looks to just be stock clockspeed. Anyway.. not sure what now. But could use some help. P.s. will upload pics later.
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Chriside420

Also not sure if they overclocked my cpu...dont know how to tell. When i right click this pc properties it shows cpu at 3.6 dont know if it shows overclock there.

That Properties window only shows the stock clock speed, it's not actually measured.  To know for sure, set your system to High Performance (right click on the battery icon in the system tray, select Power Options, and select High Performance) then download CPU-Z and see what it says under "Clocks" in the lower left.  Note that if you don't set the PC to High Performance you'll see much lower speeds because the CPU will not idle at its highest MHz.

As far as air bubbles, those definitely can cause problems and can even block the flow of liquid.  Check your temperatures using Corsair Link and see if they are reasonable.

Even if the temps are OK, two BSODs while doing nothing special doesn't sound right for sure.  I would definitely get on the phone with DS.

Edited by Setitimer - 07 Nov 2019 at 12:42pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 1:10pm
Sorry you are having BSODs. Just as a precaution, connect the pc's psu directly to the wall outlet, no surge strips, no ups. It could also be related to the oc and quality of electricity flow between what is available at DS and what you get at home. Ds will correct this.

As to the bubbles, tilt the system so that they flow out. The reservoir will show some air as the system bleeds itself out of all the little air bubbles everywhere. Check out with DS what coolant they used and get a couple of bottles.

Keep us posted and good luck..

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:38pm
Ok about tilting the machine to bleed air bubbles. I assume you mean while it is powered off? Yea? And plugging directly into the wall is supposed to tell me/us what exactly? If my electricity quality sux? And how can ds correct that? Also keep in mind that i am tech savy but my no means am i a tech. Or tech lvl user. Thanks.
Whthawke66 View Drop Down

Quote Whthawke66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:08pm
Chris, I had a similar problem with the plugging in years ago. The high draw of the power supply makes a problem for many of the apc/surge strips, especially older ones - they don't supply the correct amount of power at the correct amp. plugging directly into the wall means the device draws exactly what it needs at the amperage it needs, and may be a quick fix for your power issue.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:26pm
Alright. That makes sense. I bought a new surge protector. Its all plugged in and so far i havent had a bsod. But i havent let the machine run very long since the first crashes. Played codmw last night for about an hour. Had no problems other than some screen tearing during cutscenes. Wich im sure is because of the extremely cheap vizio tv im using at my desk untill i purchase a/some 4k display/displays. But on day 1 i had 2 crashes in about 3 hours under pretty much no lode. And so ive basically been unwilling to run the machine for more than a few mins to an hour.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:29pm
Also i am prone to power outages and brownouts where i live so i dont really want to run it without surge protection.
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Chriside420

Also i am prone to power outages and brownouts where i live so i dont really want to run it without surge protection.

A surge protector won't do anything at all for outages or brownouts.  If you're really worried about power quality, get an online UPS.

There are two types of UPSes, offline and online.  Offline UPSes only monitor the line voltage, and switch to battery if the line voltage drops past a certain point.  They don't do any kind of line conditioning or voltage regulation, which makes them inexpensive.  But this means that if the power drops down to 95V or up to 130V the UPS won't do anything about it.  They typically include a surge protector but that's it. 

With an online UPS, you are always drawing from the battery, even when the utility power is on.  The voltage to the outlets is regulated to be exactly 120V at exactly 60Hz so devices that are plugged in to the UPS have quality power regardless of the incoming voltage from the power lines.

I don't mess around and I got myself an APC Smart-UPS 1500 back in 2014 when I got my first DS system.  It wasn't super cheap but I've never regretted it, especially here in the northeast where we get ice storms and consequently brownouts for a good chunk of the year.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 3:34pm
Can you link me? Money not really an issue. Also us that gonna be good enough for my pwr supply (Power Supply: 1200W Corsair HX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power))
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 5:43pm
Setitimer has explained what I meant.  I also use the following, a ZeroSurge (surge protector) in front of an APC XS1500 UPS. (Also have a Corsair AX1200i) We get a lot of brown outs and power failures and the pc keeps on humming along until the power comes back on or the generator kicks in (10 secs).  What DS can do is adjust the voltage on the oc if that is the issue.

As to the bubbles, tilt carefully and slowly with the pc on so that the bubbles get caught on the current and taken away to the reservoir. The system does not care if it is upside down or not (extreme) and will be fine.
Whthawke66 View Drop Down

Quote Whthawke66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:07pm
Just an additional not on ups/apc's - I had one working for the same reason, but the power draw from the computer (1000 watt) was too great, and caused shut downs/bsod - so before you invest in that, check with DS for information on your computer's power draw etc and match that to the specs of what you're looking at purchasing. It's a perplexing problem I know, but with a bit of research you can get a good solution.

PS: D/S replaced my power supply TWICE before we realized that this was actually the issue. Once we identified this issue, there were no further problems whatsoever related to that. Just FYI.

Quote Chriside420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 3:13am
Ok thanks. Ill look into it.
 Post Reply Post Reply