FLASHED GORDEN

Post Date: 2017-06-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: FLASHED GORDEN
    Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,

I just installed a GTX 1070 FTW to replace a well used AMD 5770.
After install I went to "Can you run it?" expecting to see not only meeting requirements but also recommended requirements for just about all games listed.

BIG disappointment....I did not meet some of the recommended requirement and the problem, according to that website, was the need for a bios update.

I then tried some of my games and the best I could manage was 15-22-30 frame rates for Skyrim and Serious Sam. the only game that played decently was an old, old, version of Hellgate London and It would not display the frame rates so I have no idea what they were.

Many moons ago I remember I flashed the bios(circa 2010) but later reset my CMOS(for other problems) and it is now back to the 2009 bios. Since my 1070 and motherboard are both EVGA I went to their download site and found iso files for bios updating.

Now the questions....could an old bios actually cause the jerky, stuttering gameplay as well as the disappointing frame rates and if so could someone give me a step by step for flashing the bios in Win 7?

If not the bios, any suggestions for correcting the problem? I reseated my ram since it was only showing 8GB and should have shown as 12GB.The problem was a module installed in the wrong slot. Would reseating the 1070 do any good?

I also bought a ASUS 28" LED monitor that was supposed to have a 144Hz refresh rate when used with a DVI-D connection. I tried to set the monitor for that refresh rate and it would only work with the 60Hz refresh.

Thinking that perhaps the DVI-D cable was bad I used the HDMI connections instead, and although I am aware the 144HZ refresh only works with the DVI-D connections; I hoped the HDMI would help with the gameplay and frame rate problem. It did not.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on what to try before returning the 1070 and although I consider myself a computer enthusiast; it only means I am enthusiastic about computers and no expert by any means.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 2:23pm
A possible fix is to go into your x58 mobo Bios and look for MemoryLow Gap adjustment and set it Max.   Try different settings like Auto but I think max is it. It allows better utilization of your gpu vram memory.   Back in the day we didn't have video cards with much vram to consider.

Hope it helps.   
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 4:32pm
bprat22,

Yes, it did help. While I could not find the memory low gap; I did find a section with PCI-E and a thing called TLP payload which was set at 128. I reset it to 4096(the highest setting)and now Skyrim and Serious Sam run a steady 59 to 61 frame rate during gameplay. I think it would be much higher but some software(EVGA Precision OCX?) or maybe the games themselves have a limit of 60 FPS? I'll try an older game tomorrow and see if the limits are lifted.

Thanks so much...this is good frame rate with incredible detail, especially in Skyrim. Now if I can just remember how to flash the bios I might make things even better.
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 4:35pm
Thanks for the feedback and glad it's working closer to normal.

I never flashed Bios but if you still have the mobo manual it should help.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 1:08pm
bprat22,

Well, all is well in game land. I was correct in assuming that my software was limiting the frame rate. When you click on the little white gear icon at the bottom right of OCX, one of the pop up menu items was target frame rate. It was set to 60 and I changed it to max. Suddenly I'm getting 100 to 125 FPS peaks on my more demanding games with a steady 60 FPS to 85 FPS during most game play and 400FPS to 500FPS peaks on the older games with a steady 185 during most of the play.

This is the type of output I was expecting from the GTX 1070 and I haven't even tried any overclocking. I see no reason to overclock for now.

Thanks again for your input that pointed me in the right direction   
Aventum X
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 2:09pm
Yeah, the 60 fps cap is common nowadays.   Great to hear the 1070 is doing its thing.

Thanks for the info.   It'll help others that might see this thread.

Have fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply