Post Date: 2009-08-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Florida Review
    Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 9:33am
Received my BIG new, beautiful and much anticipated machine a couple of weeks ago.  Sorry, for the delay in posting...several things have conspired to keep me out of commission for the past several days.

First off, the crate arrived via FedEx on-time (as scheduled) and in excellent condition--not so much as a nick in the wood.  Thank you shipping Gods.  It took 7-days (five business days) from California to Melbourne Florida--no short trek.

After un-boxing, removing packing material, a quick look for anything dangling/un-seated or not plugged in...pressed the power button...lights blinked, fans started up and everything purred like a kitten.  You can't imagine my pleasure and relief...then again, I bet you can.

The ordeal of transferring everything from one computer to another--took longer, and was more difficult than I had hoped...  Replacing out-dated software, downloading new programs, and deleting old-junk/files etc...took time.  Then there's the tangle of wires to be routed and zip-tied to cut down on the mess and confusion.

First impressions...  Having spent months looking at one company or another...I chanced upon the DS Forum and felt/noticed a difference from the very beginning.  I found forum members eager and willing to answer the most basic of questions--and I can't over-emphasize how important that was in soothing this newbie's anxiety and lack of expertise.  Much thanx for all your help.

As for DSO...and the whole process--from purchase to doorstep--it was completely BORING...and just the way I'd hoped it would be.  No problems, no headaches, and absolutely no regrets.  Both Sarah and James were great...I made several changes...and they kept me informed every-step.  In fact, James called me three nights in a row to let me know how things were going...I hadn't expected that--and appreciated his efforts.

In conclusion...  I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase...and look forward to many hours of happy gaming.  I would (and will) recommend Digital Storm computers to anyone wanting a quality "CUSTOM" machine at a great price.  The support of both DS and it's forum members make this a one-of-a-kind product and relationship.  Thank you all...your efforts and professionalism...doesn't go un-noticed or un-appreciated. 

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 01 Aug 2009 at 9:54am

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 10:02am
I'm back...  wrote the post above only to find out I needed "ieSpell" to do a spell check...  Little things like this keep cropping up...and, I guess, are to be expected when changing from one system to the other Angry

Here's my attempt at posting pics of my machine etc...  http://photobucket.com/zardoz8719/?albumview=slideshow  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 10:54am
She is a beauty
jean luc picard View Drop Down

Quote jean luc picard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 12:38pm
awesome computer you have thierErmm
sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 1:54pm
looks great! awesome computer desk as well. That looks like a very comfortable room to be in.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

She is a beauty
Thanks.  And thank you (in particular) for all your help along the way--too. 

As for the "upgrade" debate to Zalman fans...along with Alex's point(s) about fan noise/speed and comparison with standard fans--it's hard (for me to make a comparison between the two--since I only having the Zalman's in my machine.  But, I am surprised...and very pleased with the sound level so far--though I haven't pushed it with any intensive gaming as yet.  It beats out my old Dell Gen 3 though.

I had originally requested dual rads on both the CPU and the GPU...but, was cautioned by James they wouldn't both fit inside--and would require one on the "back" which might not look sooo sweet.  So, opted for one-single and one-double that you see in the pics.  As for the "addition" of "drain tubes on dual-loop LC lines...again, James called to say that with the location of the quick disconnects...more tubes seemed un-necessary...I deferred to his judgment (he could see it first hand) and am pleased with the results.  Not sure yet, just what the addition of the HeatKiller 3.0 waterblock on CPU will be on temps--or if it's possible to determine a particular part's influence on the overall temps.

As for the crate...it's not "cheap" but, still feel the added sacrifice/money (especially over time--sending back etc...for upgrades) will prove it's value and reduce it's (per trip) cost.  Looking at it this way...if it caused just one FedEx person to hesitate about drop-kicking it...or tipping it over on it's side--than it was worth it Disapprove

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by jean luc picard

awesome computer you have thierErmm
Thanks, appreciate your comments...

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by sdelu

looks great! awesome computer desk as well. That looks like a very comfortable room to be in.

The wife and I were never ones to go the "formal" route with particular furniture for particular rooms (i.e. dining room set in dinning room etc...) and long ago, opted to live/decorate as though we were on/in a vacation cottage--all year round.  We jokingly (with a wink) tell people our "real" home/McMansion is up North...not that we could afford TWO mortages WinkBig%20smile 

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 01 Aug 2009 at 2:40pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 2:46pm
well put that bad boy under load and lets see what the temps are I'm dying to know.

I promis you that you will apprecitate a drain valve or line, when it comes time to flush.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Aug 2009 at 2:49pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

well put that bad boy under load and lets see what the temps are I'm dying to know.

I promise you that you will appreciate a drain valve or line, when it comes time to flush.
All this is new to me...and at times over-whelming...new computer, new camera, new/settings etc...and did I mention learning to use Photobucket's web-site...up-loading pics...composing review etc...too.  Stiff upper lip and all that...I will continue pressing forward--or at least "fall" forward if all else fails Smile

I understand what you're saying about the "drain" tube/valve etc...  and agree...a "T" connection/valve for draining would be optimal.  But, I can also see James point that the addition of more tubes and valves...besides "quick release" valves might make it very over-crowded (yes, "function" and aesthetics are two different things...and generally not a concern to a "power user" such as yourself)..but, am hoping the release-valves will function as well as (and in lieu of) additional drain hoses--wishful thinking perhaps...but, that's my story and I'm sticking to it Embarrassed
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 3:46pm
Well its a kick arse rig, congrats and enjoy it
Landaulet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Landaulet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 4:17pm
Looks great Ermm
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 4:26pm
That LC blue sure is sweet looking. That's a mighty fine piece of equipment you have there.Ermm
Landaulet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Landaulet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 4:38pm
Also I'm curious
so can we get the complete specs?

Thanks!

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Landaulet

Also I'm curious
so can we get the complete specs?

Thanks!

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 01 Aug 2009 at 6:55pm
Landaulet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Landaulet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 10:04pm
Appreciate It!
Looks great though.

Atleast you learned how to do it Wacko
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 1:15am
Nice rig man! Hows your temps on the cpu and gpus? 
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Logitech G19, Razer Mamba
Wireless Astro A40's
Bose Companion 5 Speakers
 Post Reply Post Reply