FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For those who bought a DS PC in 2019 or earlier...

Post Date: 2021-02-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slick_the_Bandit View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slick_the_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: For those who bought a DS PC in 2019 or earlier...
    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 5:14am
For those who bought a PC with Digital Storm in 2019 or earlier, how was the overall experience? Better? Worse? Were the build times roughly 2+ months or much shorter?

If you bought a PC back then and bought one again in 2020/2021, has the experience changed at all?

Bought my first PC from them the 8th of January so I don't have much idea how DS is outside of covid and component shortages.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:02am
I did not purchase mine before covid and the parts shortage, BUT, I have plenty of gaming friends that had bought from DS in the past and I heard nothing but positive statements about the company and their PCs.
It's the reason I bought from them this time and I had to use Customer Support to get my new PC fixed after it arrived damaged by shipping.
That process of trouble shooting, RMA the PC, getting it fixed was very good and received my new PC back in short order, fixed and working perfectly.

Now is a very difficult time for any custom PC builder, so no matter who you go with, you are in for a longer than normal wait.
Old Gamers Never Die!
PNW_GUY View Drop Down

Quote PNW_GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:08pm
My new build and my second DS purchase was exactly ordered on the 1 year anniversary of the first one.

Here is a side by side of the stages for comparison:

1st DS Build           2nd DS Build
Ordered: 11/29/19     Ordered: 11/30/20
Stage 1: 12/02/19     Stage 1: 12/02/20
Stage 2: 12/14/19     Stage 2: 01/26/20
Stage 3: 12/16/19     Stage 3: 01/26/20
Stage 4: 12/17/19     Stage 4: 02/02/20
Stage 5: 12/17/19     Stage 5: 02/02/20
Stage 6: 12/23/19     Stage 6: 02/10/20
Stage 7: 01/02/20     Stage 7: 02/11/20

The first Build did have an issue after only 2 days, Long story short it was a bad GPU, which was diagnosed thru tech support from DS.
GPU was returned and a new one was sent back within 10 days.

Other than that it has performed as expected ever since.
One of the reason why i went back for another one.

Hope that the new one arrives safe and works without any issues (finger crossed) especially after the longer than expected wait.

Hope this helps....
Config: 3652369 Ordered 11/30/2020 ; Stage 1: 12/02/2020 ; Stage 2&3: 01/26/2021 : Stage 4&5: 02/02/2021 : Stage 6: 02/10/2021 : Stage 7: 02/11/2021 : SHIPPED: 02/12/2021
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:12am
I've been here awhile. Prior to the Pandemic, DS was very consistent churning out PCs within the stated Business Days. Back to school, Black Fri/Cyber Mon, and the holidays plus weather issues during that time frame would delay some builds a few days, but parts were never in such short supply as they have been consistently since last May.

My third DS build was ordered 11/27/17. It shipped 12/23/17, and hit two 3 day holiday weekends and a blizzard on its way from Cali to Florida. It arrived 1/3/18. I was surprised when it didn't go anywhere on those weekends, because I assumed UPS/FedEx would be working.

All three of my DS gaming computers since 2010 worked flawlessly out of the box. I have over-used/ abused them all, running them 24/7, and I had two case fans quit on me. One 240mm after 7.5 years, and one lazy-ass 120mm after 3 years. Those are the ONLY issues I have EVER had in almost 11 years with DS products.

Anyone not in a custom "Murphy's Law" (Murphy's Law is "Whatever CAN go wrong WILL go wrong eventually") type business like DS during these times (IN CALI! -raging fires next door, anyone?), could possibly imagine the obstacles in the way of almost every facet of their business over the past 10 months.

Consistent customer service has been the greatest challenge after the broken supply chains and Covid protocols, but I know these guys going back over eleven years. Whatever failures there have been (and there have been a few), you could multiply 10-50 fold with just about anyone else. The one constant shining star with Digital Storm is not that it always GOES right, but they will always MAKE it right.
Bamareb28 View Drop Down

Quote Bamareb28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 11:39am
I purchased my first system in 2015-2016. The wait was about 30 days and i had to RMA it 2-3 times i cant rememeber. They did me dirty but never left my side. They had my velox finally up and running after the 3rd RMA and it worked flawlessly for 5 years or so. It still works to this day.
I then ordered another build(Lumos) Dec 16th 2020..PC arrived with zero issues and has been everything and then some. Truly blown away even after my first not so hot experience.Hope this helps
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:25pm
I've bought 6 DS rigs since 2011. One was a gift the other 5 were ours. My "cube" was the first. That one went back for new parts pretty quick. It sat on the floor(under desk) and I spilled a glass of tea on my desk which went into the fans on top(of rig) and poof. Lost my GTX 590 Classified. Then FedEx used it as a football. What a mess. So yeah that took awhile to fix. DS was wonderful all through that. I still use it but the X58 MB is having issues. I love my cube.
Bought a DS laptop for hubby which was retired years ago.
Then got hubby a first Gen Bolt which gave up the ghost last year.
Bought a friend a rig and up until his death 2 years ago it still ran.
In 2015 I bought the Behemoth DS Laptop. (2)980M GPU in SLI!! If I remember I told them take your time. Only problem I've had lately is it overheated about 3 months ago and that was a FIRST.
Last fall I got a Lumos for hubbys birthday(Oct) to replace his Bolt(think it took about a month to build). No issues and I shipped it freight.
My next build will be with DS and it will be an Aventum.
Guess I'm a FANGIRL....   
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:40pm
I forgot to add. Why keep coming back? These forums are the best and customer service. AW and *ELL made me find DS and never looked back.
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Slick_the_Bandit View Drop Down

Quote Slick_the_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

I've bought 6 DS rigs since 2011. One was a gift the other 5 were ours. My "cube" was the first. That one went back for new parts pretty quick. It sat on the floor(under desk) and I spilled a glass of tea on my desk which went into the fans on top(of rig) and poof. Lost my GTX 590 Classified. Then FedEx used it as a football. What a mess. So yeah that took awhile to fix. DS was wonderful all through that. I still use it but the X58 MB is having issues. I love my cube.
Bought a DS laptop for hubby which was retired years ago.
Then got hubby a first Gen Bolt which gave up the ghost last year.
Bought a friend a rig and up until his death 2 years ago it still ran.
In 2015 I bought the Behemoth DS Laptop. (2)980M GPU in SLI!! If I remember I told them take your time. Only problem I've had lately is it overheated about 3 months ago and that was a FIRST.
Last fall I got a Lumos for hubbys birthday(Oct) to replace his Bolt(think it took about a month to build). No issues and I shipped it freight.
Guess I'm a FANGIRL....   

Well, you have a pretty damn cool history in PC gaming, I have to say. Much respect.
Stage 1: 1/8/21 | Stage 2: 2/23/21 | Stage 3: 2/25/21 | Stage 4: 2/26/2021 | Stage 5: 3/9/2021 | Stage 6: 3/9/2021 | Stage 7: 3/10/2021 | Shipped: 3/10/2021 | Arrived: 3/11/2021
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Slick_the_Bandit

Well, you have a pretty damn cool history in PC gaming, I have to say. Much respect.

That's why she's "One of the cool kids" and she's gonna adopt me. Right, OL RPGer?!   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Slick_the_Bandit

Originally posted by oldlady RPGer

Guess I'm a FANGIRL....   

And well-earned, Slick_the_Bandit!

oldlady RPGer's the fan favorite around here, that's a fact!

Soooo       
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:35am
I have to say that the best part of oldlady RPGer's posts is her signature picture. It's always fun to scroll down to try to take in all the unabashed geekness that can be seen. It's just a smile and a giggle every time. The longer you look the better it gets.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 4:19am
Yep.
 Post Reply Post Reply