FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Full Tower Set Desk Set Up?

Post Date: 2012-01-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wisepoiboi View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wisepoiboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Full Tower Set Desk Set Up?
    Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 2:35am
Hey guys in wait for my HAF X 942 to get here i was thinking about how i was gonna set it up. . . my current desk has a opening enough for a mid tower but not enough for a Full Tower and i was just wondering what some of you have done.

I am not going to let it sit on the ground if anyone can post pics and/or show me what they did it would be much appreciated!
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 3:10am
First off, never use any of those cubby holes that they build into desks. The person who first thought of those should have all their skin peeled off an inch a time.

Any computer, gaming rig or not, you want it up off the floor and away from any obstructions as much as possible. Some people keep their systems down on the floor for space but dust and all the other nasty stuff that you don't want in your system naturally settles. As such the floor collects more dust, dirt, skin cells, hair, pet fur, and everything else then any other surface in your house. It also gets kicked up and disturbed the most because you are walking around.

Personally I have used an old entertainment unit to put my computers on over the years. It's a cheap old wooden thing you'd find at Walmart or Bestbuy. It's just big enough for my rig to sit on it safely but does not have a large surface area for dust to collect on. It also has built in shelves that are good to store things like my headset, 360 controller, external HDD and all sorts of things. It's also shorter then my desk which allows my rig to sit at a good height.

The HAF X is a heavy case, 35.5lbs on it's own, so what ever you get make sure it's rated to support at least 50lbs. As most TVs are flat panels now the right kind of stand can be hard to find, you just have to shop around.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 1:09pm
Here's my simple setup.  A 12" x 20" platform, braced underneath, and sitting 6" off the floor to keep dust and stuff away.  Felt pads in all corners make sliding it for access smooth and easy.
That cubby next to it actually held my old Dell with plenty of breathing room all around. 
Not this ODE 600t, though.Big%20Smile
One of these days I'll actually put a finish on the platform.

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jan 2012 at 1:16pm
CalebODEman View Drop Down

Quote CalebODEman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 2:02pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by jmaster299

First off, never use any of those cubby holes that they build into desks. The person who first thought of those should have all their skin peeled off an inch a time.

QFTW
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 6:42pm
I like my little cubby hole, I keep my pile of laptops in there Hahaha

Quote wisepoiboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 12:23am
Lol the opening is that open space under the desk its not a cubby i would probably have to shoot my self if it were that way.  Thanks for the suggestions i just looking around and i might just grab a table and put it on top.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 2:11pm
The cubby has it's uses. My trash can is in there and my surge protector is hidden behind that trashcan. 

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 2:26pm
Mine has my ODE accessory box, top HDD cage assy. and my cat. 

No worries, the inside side door is wired openBig%20SmileBig%20Smile  See pic above.

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Jan 2012 at 2:27pm
Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:12am
I'm one of the idiots who keeps their case on the carpet. I'm looking for a wire frame stand that can support the HAF X and also provide good air flow for the PSU.

In the meantime, do you think installing the wheels on the case will be adequate for air flow?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 10:20am
Hi Brewtus...In my opinion, keeping the pc at least 6" off the floor/rug is a minimum. 

My pic above shows a simple stand, that allows the dust and stuff room to swirl and travel without getting into my front fan filter. 

The stand in the pic doesn't look sturdy but, I weigh 185 and stood and danced on it before using it.  Which is pretty good, because I can't even dance.LOL

As far as airflow, your wheels...Good for airflow not so good for dust.

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Jan 2012 at 10:32am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:31pm
Hi wisepoiboi,

Every time you vacuum the rug dust is thrown up into the air. Just moving your feet around on the carpet is a problem. The computer will suck that in and blow it over the inside of the computer. I don't want my computer any lower than the top of my desk. Some compromise and set them on a stand. Most stands are too low to avoid the dust like I am talking about. Over time dust will build up inside of the computer. If you have a cat they will love the computer on the floor so they can rub up against it every time they walk by.

Frank

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 2:41pm
That's why mine is up on a TV stand. It sits almost 2' off the floor, well away from the dust that gets kicked up on the carpet. For anyone that does have their HAF X sitting on carpet you really should put the feet on it as the carpet will block the airflow for the PSU. But you really should get your system up off the floor as much as possible.

Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 9:08am
So yesterday I went to Walmart to see what I could find in order to prop up my HAF X. This is what I found:

It is a 3 piece dish rack all stacked under neath each other for extra support. I realize this isn't the best idea.

I was thinking about using two bricks to raise the HAF X -- any thoughts?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 9:48am
Hi Brewtus,

It looks to be about 3 or 4". If that is true then in my opinion it is too low, but better than on the carpet. I am sure you can find something better.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 10:43am
Brewtus... If ya hose down your HAFX case to keep it spiffy clean  then this will allow it to dry properly.LOLLOL

Like FrankW said, for a rug I'd go higher.  Mine is only 6" high but is a vinyl floor except under the chair.  Actually his comment has me thinking alot higher, plus I can view it better and reach less for DVD..  A rug needs ideally a desktop or TV stand like was mentioned.

By the way, cats do jump on table and desks to rubLOL

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 1:46pm
Ok, sorry for the poor quality but I figured I'd show everyone what my set up looks like. I think it works very well. It's up off the floor but being slightly lower then my desktop helps keep the ports and buttons easy to reach while sitting down.

You can't see it in the pic but my AC vent is right above my door there so all the good ventilation is right next to my system.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 7:13pm
Nice pics everybody, jm299 and Brewtus, I specially like yours, love how haf looks, its beast.

the 600t is looking very good also in those pics guys
Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 8:54pm
I like the case too -- it is definitely one big mother.

I'm surprised how silent it is. I think the top led fan is the loudest fan of them all. Checking the temperatures of the cpu and gpu have become my new obsession.

I was just want to make sure things are running nice and cool.

Quote wisepoiboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:22am
Yeah i ended up getting a new desk and ill probably set up my computer on top of it.  I guess this was actually a good topic to post, my last desktop sat on top one of those really old Big Boxed TVs that was their just in case friends wanted to play Halo 4 v 4.  I think im gonna get rid of it now that it has no real use.

Thanks for all the photos and advice. ill try to get pictures up with my full set up when its up and running!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 2:01am
Looking forward to your pics, its was teh right choice to go with a new desk, this one should serve you properly for many years.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Brewtus

I like the case too -- it is definitely one big mother.

I'm surprised how silent it is. I think the top led fan is the loudest fan of them all. Checking the temperatures of the cpu and gpu have become my new obsession.

I was just want to make sure things are running nice and cool.

The top fan is the loudest? That's odd as those large fans spin much slower and are quieter then smaller 140mm or 120mm fans. It's what makes big fans better, same good air flow with much less noise.

Your CPU cooler and GPU (while under load) should be the loudest fans in the system. It's probably your Noctua that you hear. If not the speed of your top fans is set too high. Those big exhaust fans should be spinning around 700rpm or less. Compared to the Noctua that spins around 2000rpm.

There is a lot of great, and easy, ways to monitor your temps. If you don't already have it get EVGA Precision and set up the OSD option. I personally set mine to display FPS, GPU Temp, Fan Speed and VRAM usage in the OSD while I am in game. I also set precision to show my GPU temp at all times in the system tray.

Also with my G15 I can use it's built in performance monitor to monitor CPU and RAM usage and Core Temp comes with a G15 plug-in so I can see my core temps in the display.

Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:07am
It could be the CPU fan, but when I my put ear up to the case it sounds like the noise is coming from the top led fan.

Here's a picture of HWMonitor after reading this post:

Not sure which fan is which. I do use EVGA Precision.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 2:10pm
Yeah, any fan below 1000rpm is a case fan and as you can see your CPU fan is spinning at 1200+, that's the fan you are hearing. It's hard to say but that is more then likely the larger 140mm center fan of the Noctua that is giving that reading of only 1200rpm. The smaller 120mm right side fan on the unit is more then likely spinning faster, like all small fans do.

Post Reply Post Reply