FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funny Footballer Quotes

Post Date: 2010-07-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
thestyleboy009 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote thestyleboy009 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Funny Footballer Quotes
    Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 5:08am

Once they are off the field, these soccer geniuses are vulnerable to blunders. Often their remarks are funny, and they end up saying something they really didn’t mean. Here are some funny footballer quotes.

“Sometimes in football you have to score goals.” - Thierry Henry
Ok, so football is about scoring goals! Thanks for enlightening us Henry. But why only sometimes?

“We lost because we didn’t win.” - Ronaldo
Well, that was the most wonderful explanation someone has ever said. So simple and straight.

“There is no in between - you are either good or bad. We were in between.” Gary Linekar
Can anyone solve this fuzzy logic of Linekar? Footballers are real philosophers who talk in abstract ways which no one can explain.

“Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose” - Kevin Keegan
Excuse me Keegan, what about the third option? Here goes another one:
“You’re not just getting international football, you’re getting world football”
For Keegan, something that’s international doesn’t cover the entire world.

Bulgaria’s Hristo Stoichkov - the golden boot winner of 1994 WC, is remembered for his famous quote following Bulgaria’s victory : “Now I know for sure that God is Bulgarian.”
When Bulgaria lost to Italy, he modified it further: “God is still Bulgarian but the referee was French.”
This is one reason why we all love Stoichkov (Image courtesy: AFP)

“But if I wasn’t playing, I would drink Saturdays, then Sunday, then Monday. Then I would try and train and it was no good, then have another drink just to pass the day away” - Paul Gascoigne
There are only 7 days a week, and you didn’t miss any. Why not say I drink daily instead of stretching the sentence like this.

“My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7.” - David Beckham
Beckham, were you lonely till then?

“Our number one opponents are not Liverpool, Arsenal or Manchester United. It is ourselves at Chelsea.” - Didier Drogba
Very true! We got to know this when you argued with your teammate Frank Lampard for taking a penalty kick at the English Premiere League finals.

sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 6:33am
LOL That's real funny, Here in Europe footballers are often the butt of jokes which lampoon their supposedly limited intelligence..

In Italy, it is commonly said that only wordsItalian striker Francesco Totti knew how to pen was his own name. And that once when a reporter asked him about his past he replied in the simple present tense. Eg: When I small I want to be footballer.
GosuHyunwoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 11:25am
LOOOOL 

satsunada View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:30pm
I still say my favorite quotes came from american football coach John McKay during his disastrous winless 1976-77 coaching stint with the expansion Buccaneers. A few gems:

"We didn't tackle well today, but we made up for it by not blocking"
"Intensity is a lot of guys that run fast"
On his teams blocking strategy: "Hold when you're at home, don't hold when you're on the road"
"If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't that important"
When one of the kickers, Pete Rajecki, said during training camp that he was nervous kicking in front of the coach, McKay asked that the press "Tell Mr. Rajecki that I plan to attend all the games"
"They were absolutely horrible and that's the best thing I can say. Besides that, they were bad. These people are not poorly paid you know"
On how coaching a team is a religious experience, "You do alot of praying but most of the time the answer is 'no'"
On getting blown out, "There were times I felt like leaving the stadium and hitchhiking home"
On the Bucs ending their 26 game losing streak, "3 or 4 plane crashes and we're in the playoffs"
On recruiting his son to play for the team "I have an advantage, I slept with his mother"
To the press after a game, "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas"
Following week, after receiving a crate of bananas from the press, "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedes Benz"
"I had a 5 year plan but that was because I had a 5 year contract. If I had a 3 year contract, it'd be a 3 year plan"
After losing a game, "I told my players there are 700 million Chinese people in the world that didn't even know the game was played. The next week, I got 5 letters from China asking 'what happened?' "
and the gem...

When a reporter asked "How do you feel about your team's execution today?"
Response: "I'm all for it"

Great guy. Took losing with nobility and easily one of the most humorous and witty coaches I've seen. RIP
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
 Post Reply Post Reply