FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Future Purchase Setup

Post Date: 2010-07-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Future Purchase Setup
    Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 8:29pm
I'm looking at building a computer around September (about a month before I get home). Here's what I have so far. I'm wanting this tower to have upgrade potential as well as last me for quite some time since it will cost a pretty penny. And obviously, I'm wanting to be able to game and enjoy vivid detail. My price range is 3500-4500. I'd like cost effective, but not so much to hinder performance. Also, ostentatious nerdgasms (spinny lights) are a plus. I originally wanted an SR-2 Classified but I read up on it and it only takes the Xeon processors, is the Rampage III Extreme decent?

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Hexa-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (128GB Solid State HOT SELLER (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-128GBG2D) (Highly Recommended)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Killer 2100 (Maximum Optimized for Online Gaming) Lag and Latency Reduction
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: Touch 2000 Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.4GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:04pm
im a big fan of the rampage series

most people around here will get on you and tell you to go to evga, but the asus boards are good overclockers despite the hate, so do your research and pick what you like

first glance on the rest of this,
drop the network card, the gains are near nothing, onboard supports all the bandwidth youll ever need
for a build like this you should really consider liqud cpu cooling, that asetek isnt up to the standard youre looking at with the rest of these choices
leave out the fan controller, useless piece imo
you should really consider a haf 932, stock cooling in that will serve this loadout well, ill get a config for you to look at
you can definitely go to an intel ssd, ill defer to dragoon on that

heres a good base for you imo
still headroom to add in that bluray if you really want it and the DSO overclock if you dont know how to
12gigs of ram is almost silly, unless youre useing this as a work computer and you do heavy visual editing, even then, overkill.

honestly, hex is a bit extreme, way way overkill. if i had your budget, id buy this:
drop to a 930 and use the money to get yourself an extra 480. you will not max your 8 cores on any current app or game, so use the money where the performance bottleneck is, video

Edited by !ender_ - 08 Jul 2010 at 10:14pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:53pm
@!ender_ - Please! The Asus "hate" is not based on the quality of their products, it is the quality of their product and customer support that is the problem. I looked into this, and what I found was a 3rd party complaint site with 6 complaints about eVGA boards of a relatively minor nature, and 7 pages of complaints about Asus boards. Minor or not, they were mostly of the nature of "I have this issue and I can't get anyone to respond to me..." I thought I had slipped over into the "iBuy Power zone", and it was very lonely.... I still didn't think this was a huge deal, again because of the quality of their products, but then DS went to the one year warranty, and it suddenly became an issue to warn about. Look back at the Asus posts, and you will see for yourself, that it's always about their support.

IMO, you have a pretty darn good chance of getting an Asus product without issues. But if you get a lemon, you better hope it's under DS warranty.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 10:56pm
Awesome, I like the second setup with the extra 480.  And I've read up that the 480 gets very hot, will I need to consider liquid cooling it or will the case fans work just fine? Is there much difference between Windows7 Home and Ultimate? I'm still using XP on my laptop so I'm not familiar with them.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:34pm
So uh.. what resolution does your monitor support up to?
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 12:36am
Samsung PX2370 and a Samsung 2333HD-1 so 1920x1080

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 12:46am
Aaaand I'll probably have a 40" 1080p tv hooked up to it as well. Don't know how much of a difference that will make.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 12:53am
For that resolution:

Ticket #420994, Price: $2681

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 1 Year Hassle-free Hardware Service

OS/apps and some games on the SSD, rest of the games/movies/music/media on the HDD.

I know you had a bigger budget but honestly there isn't much to get to increase performance without significantly ramping up the price. Especially gaming wise, since this will already cut through pretty much any game on the planet like butter at that resolution. The 1250w PSU can support two GTX 480s so you can add a second one in a few years if need be.

I'd also consider the 2 year parts warranty for +$99 or the 3 year parts warranty for +199.

Lilim

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 1:25am
Would this computer last for a while? I want to still be able to game at high fps years down the road, hence the bigger budget. I'm also toying around the thought of getting a 3d monitor (not sure since I want to see more reviews on it first and want to see the technology develop), would that require more power?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 1:53am
Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN

Would this computer last for a while? I want to still be able to game at high fps years down the road, hence the bigger budget.

It will last for some time with no changes, at least a year or two. The problem is that the video card industry is a very fast moving technology, and with it the gaming industry as they'll always push the limits of current video cards.

You can't reliably future proof video cards without wasting a huge amount of money, the technology is just advancing much too fast with better ones constantly coming out and prices always plummeting. So get what will max everything at 1920x1200 now (a 480) and then a few years down the road upgrade when needed, either by adding in a then cheaper second 480 or by replacing it with another new card altogether. What you can future proof to help with this is the power supply, which is why I selected the 1250w in that configuration, it can support two 480s.

I'm also toying around the thought of getting a 3d monitor (not sure since I want to see more reviews on it first and want to see the technology develop), would that require more power?

I'm not very familiar with the technology. Considering its extreme price and since I haven't heard people absolutely raving about it left and right, I've just never personally considered it. But I do believe you need a 120Hz monitor for it, which I believe also means you need to run games at 120FPS or more? If so you would need the second 480. Maybe someone else that knows more can chime in on that.
Lilim

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 11:43am
Thank you, I appreciate all this advice on diff parts and what I need vs want. Just one final question: how much difference is there between the i7 930 and the i7 960? 
mwilke View Drop Down

Quote mwilke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:13pm
There's nothing different, an overclocked 930 to 3.6 GHz performs exactly the same.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:46pm
A 930 and 960 are the exact same chip, the 960 is just factory overclocked a tiny bit and Intel charges hundreds of extra dollars for it, go figure. Seeing as they both overclock exactly the same and perform exactly the same at identical overclock settings, as they are indeed exactly identical chips, go with the 930 and save yourself exactly $305. And then pat yourself exactly on the back. Exactly.
Lilim
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2010 at 4:47pm
yes hes right, and im anti 3d in every way, but unbiasedly (yes that is a word!) i'll tell you that you would need a 120hz monitor for that, id stay away from that for at least a few years. if it catches on the price will come down, and if it doesnt, which i really hope it doesnt, then you wouldnt have wasted the money

as far as "future proofing" which is impossible no matter what you do. the best way to address it, in my opinion, would be to get a single 480 and pocket the cash NOT for sli, but for the next "best card on the market" two years from now. you can sell the 480, probably for 200 or more, and then youll have the newest card around instead of 2 3 year old cards, sli is a losing idea in every application in my personal opinion, the only time i would ever not tell someone to skip it is when the budget is through the roof. such as in your case. based on your inital budget you could get 2 now and then apply the same thing i said before, sell both and get the new "best card" or 2 of them. thats the only way you can stay with the curve,if thats what you're wanting to do.

rephrased, the only effective way to stay with the curve is to have money to buy new stuff as it comes out, instead of sinking everything in whatever is "best" on the day you buy. EXACTLY like what was suggesting by dropping the hex core. its overkill. one day it wont be, but on that day, it will be much more affordable Wink

Edited by !ender_ - 09 Jul 2010 at 4:48pm

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 5:18am
Alright, so I think the final config based on what everyone is saying will be this:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

I changed a couple things like the extra half tb and the blu-ray burner since I need one for my tv (HD is a must on 73"). But I believe this will suit me for the next 1-2 years and from there I'll go SLI or buy a new video card and buy more ram if necessary. Any final notes on this build? Again, thank you for going over all this. It's saving me a ton of cash in the end.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 6:45am
Nice build man, yeah they're right about the whole video card technology increasing rapidly.  Because, ATI should be coming out with a new line before the year is up, its hard to keep up unless your pocket is really deep.  Just out of curiosity, what tv do you have?

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 8:23am
Mitsubishi Model WD-73C9 73". It's a 120 Hz DLP (LCD's of that size would cost more than my motorcycle) and it has full 1080p. The only negative reviews I found on this tv were when it was damaged during delivery, but only saw 3 of those on amazon. It is a pain to have delivered since it comes on it's own pallet. It weighs 92 lbs so it's really an easy 2 man lift. It received 4 out of 5 stars from the reviews and only costs $1400. You have to buy a stand that will accomadate to that size of tv though and it'll run you probably another $200. It's full 3D ready if you really want to see movies such as Avatar in 3D. The only thing I'd strongly recommend to change about it would be sound. The speakers on it don't do a tv that size justice. With a 5.1 surround sound, Modern Warfare 2 becomes much more realistic. Plus sniping becomes cake on that tv as you can make out people far off in the distance. All in all, the tv is a really good bang for your buck.

Quote OMGWTFBBQROFLPWN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 8:26am
Also, when is the new ATI series coming out? I'm guessing it'll be sometime after September? I return home in October and would like to have my computer set up and waiting, but if the ATI is supposed to blow the 480 out of the water, then I could possibly wait.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 12:39pm
Nice man haha I was thinkin you had a mits when you said 73".  Lol, I'm lookin into buyin a mits right now, I'm probably gonna go with a WD-65738, or the WD-65838.  I've been looking into them a lot, and I checked out a few of the 738's at Fry's and I think they're definitely worth it and more immersive than a much smaller lcd.  Yeah, I'm going to use my 5.1 speaker system with my pc for it when I get it.  The new ATI series is expected anywhere from September to December.  Nvidia was really going to be in a world of hurt because ATI was planning to launch their new Northern Island Architecture on a 32 nm chip, but TSMC failed in producind a 32 nm chip in time like they said they would, and have actually been getting closer to succeeding at 28 nm.  So, ATI is making a hybrid called Southern Islands, its gonna be some of the new architecture mixed with the evergreen architecture on 40 nm.  Since the numbers are already close between ATI and Nvidia I would expect these chips to outperform the gtx 480 easy, but we will have to see.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 1:13pm
ill admit from the start that im an nvidia fan, but i dont think that has any bearing on stating that there will never be a significant amount of time where ati or nvidia has a clear lead. EXACTLY like in the future proof conversation, if you try and wait for the next greatest ati card, nvidia will beat it in not time, and then if you buy that nvidia card, 6 months later they will come out with a better one, and then ati will spring back up again

buy what fills your needs now, and leave some aside to upgrade in about 2 years, or a year and half. its the only way to stay even close to the GPU curve

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 1:45pm
The way things are with Nvidia right now idk about them beating it in no time, but you could be right.  And there are times where the two companies do have a lead on the other, and right now taken from many sources you can determine ATI as the leader, because the 5870's success at almost a year old with a card that was released way late with a lot of problems.  Yes the Gtx 480 is a beast, and if you were to buy a card right now it should be it.  Yet, for them to come out with this card so late and have all the heat/power/performance/price issues puts them down.  If TSMC didn't screw up on the 32 nm process, and ATI was releasing its new architecture coming up you can't deny the fact that it would clearly have ATI as the forerunner in this bit of time.  However, even with the 32 nm process being screwed, and ATI delaying Northern Islands till Q1,Q2 of next year on possibly a 28 nm chip, the Southern Islands architecture can definitely come out and be a better card than the Gtx 480 without the problems.  So, do what you want, I'm not trying to convince him to wait, I'm just informing him and was adding to the conversation of new cards being out fast these days.  Yes, the GPU industry is back and forth, but there are points and times when you can distinguish a leader in success.  Will fermi be a success down the road?  Of course, but was it so successful at launch 6 months late?  No.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 2:49pm
That's a nice build. You impress me with your ability to heed and learn from sound advice. A lot of folks would have just started tossing stuff in because they had it in the budget, but you were wise enough to see that you could get everything you needed for a lot less, and quit while you were so far ahead. Kudos.

IDK about blowing anybody out of the water, but the new ATI's will obviously perform substantially better than the current fermi's, or there would be no point in bringing them out.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
 Post Reply Post Reply