Post Date: 2020-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Emmact View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Emmact Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: future upgrades advice
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm
Hello everyone. I just order my first pc. The base lynx model for 999$ on the website. I am looking to get advice on future upgrades. I am a casual gamer playing console games till now. I was wondering if anyone else has bought the lynx configuration and looking for what things to upgrade first. My focus is on performance and not beautiful graphics(not that I would mind those too). Will mainly be playing games like shooters, survival games and the occasional open world adventure Game. I also want to eventually make a flight sim as I am planning to use it for flight school.

My question would be for those of you who bought the Lynx PC what upgrades did you look for first? Graphics, processors, Ram, etc.?

Have a great day
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:01am
The CPU will be fine for several years. The 8GB of RAM will play every game in existence. It may not be optimal for the latest and greatest AAA tiles, but they will play. The video card is the entry level Nvidia GPU. A whole new line is coming in September, but the lower priced cards may not come out right away. You should at least, I think, have a look at those.

My advice is to play on your rig and see what you think. Gaming can still be a lot of fun with some game settings turned down a bit. Most games provide options for dialing back the video somewhat, and the experience can still be pretty darn great.

The first upgrade you'll want is video. That's going to be the most rewarding in terms of gameplay. You should see what's available in the new generation.

Next, or perhaps while you wait, you will want to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM so you're ready for the next several years. You have to replace what's in there. You want 2 8GB RAM sticks of DDR4 2666 speed. You just take out the old, and plug in the new.

You will probably run out of room in your 240GB SSD drive pretty quickly. If you want the best performance you can get, there is a slot right on the motherboard which will take an NVMe SSD that is faster than the 240GB SATA one you will have. It's called an M.2 slot. You plug the NVMe into the slot and there are no wires or cables needed. They come in various capacities, and you should get as much as you can afford. It will be the fastest storage this rig will have.

That's all you will need to have a great gaming experience from the Lynx Level 2. Be sure you understand that your 600W power supply will not allow you to have any GPU in the world. The limit right now would be an RTX 2070 SUPER, which is a very powerful card just 2 levels down from the best.
EckoNode View Drop Down

Quote EckoNode Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Cretae

The CPU will be fine for several years. The 8GB of RAM will play every game in existence. It may not be optimal for the latest and greatest AAA tiles, but they will play. The video card is the entry level Nvidia GPU. A whole new line is coming in September, but the lower priced cards may not come out right away. You should at least, I think, have a look at those.

My advice is to play on your rig and see what you think. Gaming can still be a lot of fun with some game settings turned down a bit. Most games provide options for dialing back the video somewhat, and the experience can still be pretty darn great.

The first upgrade you'll want is video. That's going to be the most rewarding in terms of gameplay. You should see what's available in the new generation.

Next, or perhaps while you wait, you will want to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM so you're ready for the next several years. You have to replace what's in there. You want 2 8GB RAM sticks of DDR4 2666 speed. You just take out the old, and plug in the new.

You will probably run out of room in your 240GB SSD drive pretty quickly. If you want the best performance you can get, there is a slot right on the motherboard which will take an NVMe SSD that is faster than the 240GB SATA one you will have. It's called an M.2 slot. You plug the NVMe into the slot and there are no wires or cables needed. They come in various capacities, and you should get as much as you can afford. It will be the fastest storage this rig will have.

That's all you will need to have a great gaming experience from the Lynx Level 2. Be sure you understand that your 600W power supply will not allow you to have any GPU in the world. The limit right now would be an RTX 2070 SUPER, which is a very powerful card just 2 levels down from the best.

Just thought about this question and wanted to find out more, so are you saying if I get a power supply with more juice I can run the better graphics card, like 2080 super? Or will I need liquid cooling etc?

What would I need to add if I should get that at a later date?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:33am
Please, let's slow down just a tad. Assuming you also have a Lynx 2, you have a very basic computer build that's not at all bad, but will not deliver high-end gaming without a complete makeover. If I were you, I'd set my sights on some very solid 1080p gaming at high framerates. Consumer testing has shown that it is more pleasing to the eye to have higher frame rates than a higher resolution. For that, you will never need more than a 2060 SUPER or equivalent, so your PSU is fine for the lifetime.

To game at 1440p at good frame rates, you'd need a GPU and monitor combo that could easily cost more than your computer.
EckoNode View Drop Down

Quote EckoNode Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:02am
Ok, yea I have a lynx 2, I guess I’ll see how it work out with the games I want to play. I just want to be able to play FPS games at good enough quality to see and react to be able to win.

I was playing NVIDIA GeForce NOW and it’s just horrible for that, the lighting is always off and very dark during night time or in low light areas..

So with the lynx 2, 2060 super on a MSI OPTIX G271 monitor. Will that be ok?

I probably should have asked these questions HERE and not somewhere else before I buy it smh.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 5:18am
At 1080p, you are going to blown away by your new card, no question.
Emmact View Drop Down

Quote Emmact Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Please, let's slow down just a tad. Assuming you also have a Lynx 2, you have a very basic computer build that's not at all bad, but will not deliver high-end gaming without a complete makeover. If I were you, I'd set my sights on some very solid 1080p gaming at high framerates. Consumer testing has shown that it is more pleasing to the eye to have higher frame rates than a higher resolution. For that, you will never need more than a 2060 SUPER or equivalent, so your PSU is fine for the lifetime.

To game at 1440p at good frame rates, you'd need a GPU and monitor combo that could easily cost more than your computer.

yeah I started searching for monitors and doing research and quickly discovered they are just as important as the computer in order to get the best experience. thanks though for the answers and sorry for the late response. I have been working and sorta forgot about this post for a bit xD
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:44am
Not even an issue, Emmact.

For the money, the Asus 24" DS offers here is a pretty good monitor to start with. Over the years, I have not been overly impressed by some of the monitors available here, but this one is pretty nice from a "famous maker".
 Post Reply Post Reply