FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Game Installs on SSD or HDD

Post Date: 2012-01-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
queloque View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote queloque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Game Installs on SSD or HDD
    Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 8:54pm
I'm awaiting delivery of my new rig that has 120 SSD and 500 gig HDD.
Should all my games be installed on the SSD or what is the general strategy when dealing with an SSD drive.   I never had one.

The games that will be installed initially are:

WOW
Star Wars
Battlefield 3

Rig will mainly be a gaming machine only.  I have my laptops for desktop stuff.

Thanks
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 9:06pm
I have a somewhat similar setup, 160gb of SSD space, with a 1TB HDD as well. The SSDs obviously get the OS and all frequently used applications (Adobe stuff, Office, etc.). I normally keep the games I am playing at that moment on the SSD. Good examples would be MMOs, which tend to be frequent time eaters Hahaha. Most games I only occasionally play, or older games, all go on the HDD. I have Steam on my HDD as well, I keep my frequent Steam games on the SSD and use symbolic links so that Steam doesn't throw a fit.

Really its up to you, but unless you just have to have all your games installed at once, I'd keep the ones you play the absolute most on the SSDs, and since you don't seem to need any productivity/otherwise stuff installed on the desktop, I think you would be good with those three games (I'm figuring those 3 games might take up 75gb at the most?).
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 12:30am
HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

Tidgxor pretty much covered rest.

keep in mind you can always add another ssd down the road as hdd3 and install other games on there, best thing to do for now is to just install the games you play on ssd IMHO.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Jan 2012 at 12:31am
Food4Thought View Drop Down

Quote Food4Thought Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:00am
Does anyone know how the Raid 0 and Raid 1 option work? I read the description but I like to double check my perspective on it. Raid 0 format I have no idea... and as for Raid 1 it makes 2 copies of each everything allowing for a much more reliable performance. Also, do they need to be the same type i.e. SSD/SSD or HDD/HDD, rather than SSD/HDD?
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 8:58pm
RAID is no longer needed with the speeds of SSD. Even good standard HDDs don't need it. Using RAID will increase you potential failure rate and will cause a big headache if one of the drives does fail.

RAID is one of those things just like tweaking Windows to reduce resource usage that was useful back in the day due to the limits of the available hardware. Just install your OS and your most important games on your SSD and use your HDD for you remaining games and files.

I don't have a SSD in my system and I still load first 99% of the time even when other people have a faster ping then I do. But that's because I have a good system and my games are installed on a good and fast standard HDD that is separate from my OS install which does help speed things up.

A SSD will still be faster but until you can get another one for your system you will be fine.

Post Reply Post Reply