Post Date: 2011-11-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Game of Thrones
    Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:52pm
Sort of shocked that there are not any threads about this yet. Well at least no threads that the search tool could find.

Anyways, I thought I'd start a discussion about both Game of Thrones the TV series and the larger Song of Fire and Ice novels. *****SPOILER ALERT****** Keep in mind if you have only watched the show, or if you have not read all the books some things may get spoiled for you.

A brief history for some of you who have no idea what I am talking about. A Song of Fire and Ice is a massive multi-book series from author George R. R. Martin that was recently turned into a very successful TV series by HBO called Game of Thrones (it also happens to be the title of the first book in the series and the general theme of the entire series).

The best way I could describe it to someone who is not familiar with it is it is a very adult Lord of the Rings. It's just as complex, with out being overly boring in the details, with more adult themes. You have Kings and Knights, Dragons and Warlocks, Barbarians and Giants, but with that much it's more graphic/violent along with sex and cussing. Obviously for the rules of the forums I won't describe those bits here.

One funny bit about the book series is the author actually made it so complex because he did not want to see someone attempt to make a movie or TV show about it and ruin it in the process. HBO has done a good job of it so far, 1 successful season ran early this year with season 2 filming almost done for a early 2012 showing, and the keep the original author involved to make sure it is done correctly.

It would take me for ever to even begin to get in to the details of the show and the book but a simple Google search will bring you a ton of results. There is a very good fan blog I suggest you check out called Winter-Is-Coming.net. It is mainly focused on following the season 2 filming so I'd read up on other things first. The blog is more useful to people who are familiar with the series.

Edit:
Series Wiki

Edited by jmaster299 - 23 Nov 2011 at 11:04pm

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 11:01pm
Ok, with some of that background out of the way it's on to the discussion.

I'll start simple with "You're favorite character and why". If you a familiar with both the books and the TV show feel free to name one from both if they are not always the same. Some times the actor who has brought the character to life helps, but not always.

For me my favorite character is Tyrion Lanister, some people who know the show or books may say that's an obvious choice but he really is a very rich character, and I don't mean his gold. Peter Dinklage winning an Emmy and a Scream Award for his performance as Tyrion was well deserved as he really pulled off playing such a complex character.

Arya Stark is a close second for me but more for the books and not as much for the show. It's not that Maisie Williams did a bad job portraying her but I think it's more her character had to be changed too much due to the limits of the show. There are some things you can't get away with, even on HBO, plus so many of the good things about her, like her training with Syro, got cut from the show due to the most evil of enemy of good stories, time limits.

Lous55 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Lous55 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 6:41pm
Ill check out the series and post my favorite.
tony487 View Drop Down

Quote tony487 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:27pm
My sister-in-law got me Game of Thrones and Storm of Swords (books 1, 2) for Christmas last year.  Finally this July on vacation, I started them.  AWESOME!  I quickly added the next 3 (Dance of (with?) Dragons, book 5, was this July ).  Super!  I cannot imagine some of the things could ever make it on even HBO.

I cannot imagine HBO could do Arya Stark justice throughout her story arc.  But... I eagerly await (and, seems could be a LONG wait) for the next volume.

T
Tony
sneaky George W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sneaky George W Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:14am
I'm about half way through Game of Thrones (the book) and LOVING it! its been ages since I've enjoyed a book this much. I've actually been trying to read it slowly so it lasts longer. I dont have HBO, but have been considering purchasing the first season once i finish the book, in your opinion would it be worth it? so far (as im only half way through the first book, actually around Arya's training with Syro...) i think my favorite characters are Tyrion and Jon Snow.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:35pm
YES, the show is worth it. Obviously there are cuts and changes but it's honestly the best book-to-screen adaptation I've ever seen.

I kept wanting to like Jon Snow but I just never could. I don't want to ruin too much but he just never gets over acting like a brat.

sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:25pm
Sneaky george (and anyone else), be really careful on what you read/watch until you have finished all 5 of the current books. I believe there are supposed to be two more books that will complete the series. Yep sticking to that magic # of seven that is so prominent throughout the storytelling.

There are a ton of surprises along the way and I think it would be really disappointing to know about them in advance.

I've read all 5 and I'm pretty mad at myself for starting this series before it was completed. It is going to be agonizing to wait for the final two books, besides I'm sure I'll forget half of what has happened in the meantime. I haven't watched the HBO series, but I'm sure I will once it is completed.

As far as favorite characters go, that is too tough a question. Here are the ones that I find extremely compelling since they are not an "open book" by any stretch and are consistently surprising you by their actions/thoughts.

Tyrion Lannister
    Jamie Lannister
    Jon Snow
    Arya Stark
    Bran Stark
    Daenyrus Targyuen (sp?)

Edited by sdwas - 05 Dec 2011 at 3:25pm

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:19pm
Well, if you wait for the whole series to be written before you read any part of the series you may be waiting a long time. It was something like 10 years between books 4 and 5 being released. One would think/hope that with the recent success that he would be quicker to finish books 6 and 7 but you never know.

I made sure to put the **Spoiler Alert** at the very beginning to warn people so just be careful if you have not finished everything yet.

@sdwas:
With out giving too much away I can sort of agree with Jamie being high on the list of best characters. But it's only because he becomes "better" later on. It's not just you but I can't wrap my head around people liking Jon Snow. He's a bastard and everyone in the world can accept that except for him.

That's part of what makes Tyrion so great, he's a Dwarf, he accepts he's a Dwarf and uses it to his advantage with out ever using it to invoke sympathy. He knows that no matter what he does people will dislike him simply because he is a Dwarf. He embraces that by saying and doing what he wants because he knows people are going to mistreat him no matter what.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:38pm
Season 2 trailer is finally out, it's epic just as it should be.

Video

One of the fan sites has put together a lengthy screen cap review of the trailer to help identify key characters and scenes from the book. (Season 2 will be from A Clash of Kings) They also point out some scenes that are added or different.

Screen cap review here just scroll down past the SAG awards photos. About 3 pages of screen cap review.

You'll also see an article in that link that GoT has become the 2 most current watched show on HBO and 3rd most watched in network's history. It trails only True Blood as the networks current #1 show and The Sopranos as the networks #1 all time show. GoT has almost 1 million more average viewers per episode then even Boardwalk Empire. Very good numbers for a freshman show.

GoT got a serious budget boost after being able to prove it's self in it's first season and all indications are that season 2 should be as good or better. From a story stand point there is a lot more going on which should help it's numbers even more.

*********-----------Spoiler Alert-------------***********

Peter Dinklage won both an Emmy and a Golden Globe for good reason and he has a much more active role this time around. We will get to watch him as Tyrion battling with his sister for control over King's Landing and the crown.

There will be tons of blood as there will actually be over a half dozen people fighting for the claim to be King or Queen. Poor Sansa will continued to be held hostage and abused by Joffery and manipulated by Cersei. Daenereys finds her courage and her purpose in her quest to rid the world of slavery and fights to keep her people alive.

There's simply too much to go on about in a forum post but things are looking up for the series. Watch Season 1 and read the series if you have not already done so. It appeals to so many different types of genres (action, fantasy, drama, etc) that it has a very wide appeal, the fact that it's full of so much violence and sex is pretty helpful.

I've used this comparison before but for the people who may see this and only read the last post, just imagine if Lord of the Rings was rated R (i.e. all the sex and blood) and didn't have any of the boring stuff. (Like spending 47 hours of film walking to a volcano)

Edited by jmaster299 - 30 Jan 2012 at 2:39pm

penceton View Drop Down

Quote penceton Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:13pm
George's Song of Ice and Fire SMASHES Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books, easily in my opinion.  There's no contest what-so-ever.  Outdated and drab(much like non-fiction to me), but Peter Jackson's movies are a COMPLETE ONE EIGHTY........and utter masterpieces!!

At any rate, the first HBO season was very successful in my mind, and *SPOILER ALERT* I'm going to miss the hell outta NED STARK, one of my favorite characters!!! :(   Sean Bean definitely was epic.  I'm a fan of the whole cast really though, including of course Peter ;) 

It's been awhile since I read the second book and I should really re-read those bad boys again to brush up, but I'm very much looking forward to the second season and I'll definitely be picking up the first season when it comes out in a month on BLU RAY baby!!! :)

More dire wolf action pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...hehe

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:19pm
I've read the five current books so far and am dieing for the 6th book to be released. I am hoping that the success of the show will motivate Martin to get it done and not wait years and years like he did for book 5.

I don't have a link but there is a vid of Martin at one of the awards shows saying how Tyrion is his personal favorite character and that definitely shows in the books. I can't say for certain but I think Tyrion has more time in all the books then any other character, possibly more then any other two combined.

Peter Dinklage deserves every award he has won for the role so far and he was robbed at the SAG awards imo. Season/Book 2 shows how Tyrion is really the only honest person looking out for the best interests of the realm. Of all the other people fighting for control of the Throne he is the only one that wants to do something to make the kingdom better as a whole.

Before any potential King of the North fans start hating on me, Rob does not care about the Kingdom as a whole and only cares about the North. It's not a bad goal or an evil goal, it's just a selfish goal and limited goal. He further reinforces his selfish attitude when he betrays his promise Walder Frey and does not marry his daughter.

Tyrion is the only person who will stand up to his down right evil family. Each time he bitch slaps Joffrey is always cause for celebration. Even later when he is forced to marry Sansa Stark he refuses to bed her against her wishes despite the threats from his father.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 6:38pm
Lulz, Game of Ponies

Vid

Edited by jmaster299 - 04 Feb 2012 at 6:41pm

TIMoteo87 View Drop Down

Quote TIMoteo87 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 11:55pm
I am going through withdrawals waiting for Season 2.
The teaser and trailer were awesome!

Favorite Character (Currently): Jon Snow (one tough bastard)

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
- Night's Watch Oath

I have seen the first season and am currently reading through the first book (not very far due to lots of other mandatory reading I have to finish).
-Tim

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:57am
A lot of people start off liking Jon Snow but it does not always stay that way. I don't want to spoil too much for you but I was one of the people who grew to hate Jon Snow as the books progressed. He's a whiny little punk and he never gets over the fact that he's a bastard. He never embraces it like Tyrion tells him too and he just never grows up.

It's always "boohoo I can't ever be a Stark" and "boohoo don't you dare insult the family that refuses to recognize me", "boohoo my family needs my help so I'm gonna be a bitch and break my vows". That last one is the worst since breaking his vows is the biggest thing he could possibly do to dishonor his father.

Edited by jmaster299 - 05 Feb 2012 at 8:58am

sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:29am
jmaster299 - that is probably the beauty of the Jon Snow character, there are different ways of looking at him and his thoughts/actions/reactions. I definitely have a different (complete opposite) outlook on his character :).

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 11:28am
Have you read all the books? I can certainly understand rooting for him early on because you keep hoping he's finally going to grow up and be the man his father taught him to be but it just does not happen.

I'm gonna try and hide a spoiler here, highlight the following text if you want to be able to see it:
""As far as we know Jon is dead. It would not surprise me at all if he some how comes back from the entire Nights Watch beating and stabbing him to death but we'll have to wait and see. Even his sworn brothers of the Nights Watch can't stand him and it's not like those were the pieces of sh*t who abandons their vows when they killed Commander Moramount. These were the guys who stayed true to their vows just to get betrayed by Jon.""

Again I can understand people like Jon in the beginning but he just never went through that transition into a leader like Danerys or Tyrion have.

Edited by jmaster299 - 06 Feb 2012 at 11:29am

sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:38pm
Yep, read all the books so far (have not watched the series yet). Like I said, you can probably talk to a hundred people and it will be a close 50/50 split on whether he is liked or not. That is part of the beauty of the characters in this series, there really isn't a single character that is definitively good or bad.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:18pm
If you've read all the books that's a little different. You're the first I've spoken to that still defends him after everything he does.

I'll be the first to point out Tyrion's faults but he is a "good" character. He proves that point over and over again, especially during his time as the Hand and he tries to actually run the kingdom properly.

He reinforces his "good" image later on when he takes care of Penny. Sure he a jerk to her at times, that's who he is, but he goes out of his way to keep her safe when he could very easily leave her to die.

All this coming from a man who's entire family is just down right evil. Exception, I won't spoil too much for other people but at least Jamie has started to turn things around for the better. Where the Tyrion story has left off he is actively seeking someone to replace his own family on the throne because he knows they are no good.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:28pm
Game of Thrones pick up lines

Also, the fan site WiC added another one of their own with Littlefinger that's even better.

Post Reply Post Reply