Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pineapplerum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Game play problems
    Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 6:03pm
Hi,
I got my computer!!!!! It's a real beauty. I probably have no right trying to handle a computer like this since I am rather computer illiterate.  It's not a monster by any means but it's a lot more than I'm use to playing with.  I guess I should put down the specs. Hmmm?  By the way, I switched to XP Professional and I got the cabling thing done, also.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Configuration:
Case: Digital Storm Twister PRO (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 560W Silverstone (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 650i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 650i Ultra)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel) (Performance)
Floppy / Card: Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network
Connections)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE (Up to 7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: - No Thanks
Round Cables: - No Thanks
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes
Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating
system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home (Includes Service Pack 2)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: McAfee Internet Security (Includes: AntiVirus, FireWall and
AntiSpyware)
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: Acer 19 inch (Widescreen) (Black Edition) (High-Value Display)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 2.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, here's my problem.
I was playing The Sims 2 with most of the expansion packs, no downloads from online.
All of the sudden it froze. It had lines running through it and I had to reboot my computer.
Okay, then I was playing Sims City 4 and it crashed and restarted itself.

I called DS on Friday and Josh said to download the Nvidia driver for my graphics card. So, I did that and rebooted.
Then I was playing Dreamfall and it crashed again with the lines going through it and I had to reboot it.

When I start up my computer I get this sign that says "No Signal" inside a box. And then the black screen with
all the white lettering pops on and then the "Windows" screen kicks in.
I'm use to my Dell computer. I don't get the "no signal" box nor the black screen with the white letterings.
Is that normal? Why does it do that? I'm pretty sure it started happening after the SimsCity 4 game crashed. I may be
wrong though.
Right now tech support is gone for the weekend. Cry So, I'll have to wait until Monday for Josh to get
back to help me. Do you know if this is a simple fix. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong or I don't have something
I need downloaded.
I have a bunch of cables that came with my computer that are for the graphics card, I think. Is it normal to have extra
cables inside your "welcome" kit DS sends you? I have no idea how to hook up these cables for anything inside the case of the
computer and will have a nervous breakdown if I have to. So, please, tell me these are spare parts?
Please?
Thanks again for all your help. You've been very helpful to me on this website and I really appreciate it.
Tongue Hug Heart
LOL

Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 7:08pm
Let me start by trying to allay some of those concerns...

Yes, there should be extra wires inside your system box. This is 100% normal. These are all of the extras that came bundled with your components. You paid for them, DSO sends them with the system.

Next.

Check the connection to your monitor. Make sure the cable is correctly seated, and that the screws securing it are snug (do NOT overtighten).

Download Rivatuner and see what sorts of temps your GPU is hitting to make sure it's not a heat problem.

If you have not installed the proper drivers for your monitor and are relying on plug and play generic drivers, install the correct driver if at all possible. 

Did you uninstall the previous driver before installing the new one? If you did not, use the remove programs feature in Windows to remove Nvidia Display Drivers before installing the new one.

That's about it from me. Maybe someone else has more ideas.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 7:08pm
It sounds like to me that you have graphics card issue occurring.  Not 100% sure.  Make sure the graphics driver you downloaded was not a Beta driver.  Make sure you actually downloaded the correct driver for your card also.  If there are WHQL and Beta drivers available for your card, then try both and see what happens. 

!69.02 is WHQL & 169.09 is Beta.  Try both to see if you get the same results. 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 9:24pm
Okay, I don't know what I did wrong but my computer went nuts.  I downloaded the driver that wasn't beta and before I restarted I also uninstalled the driver for the beta version driver. When I started the computer back up, all the words were really big and it kept looking for drivers to install for the new hardware (????) and I figured out that I had to put in the cd for the graphics card. I rebooted but it still had huge text- so I system restored it.

My computer seems to be okay now. I don't know if it's the new beta driver I downloaded like Josh told me to or the driver that was in my system when I got the computer but I System Restored the computer and it's no longer acting crazy.

I don't understand why they don't update the drivers at DS when they're configuring the system. Or the graphics card company updating the drivers in the cds before shipping them out.  Is that asking too much?  Not cost efficient, I guess?
I don't mean to sound like a baby but this is very confusing to me.  You're contradicting what Josh told me to do. 'Cause what Josh told me to do didn't work. But he's the one who built my computer. 
If I can't trust him to know which driver to install then should I call him on Monday and talk to him about this or somebody else?

I did something wrong, I think I was supposed to uninstall the driver before downloading the new one? D'oh. 
It gives you a list of options as to what to uninstall. Which one do I choose? Will my computer still work after I uninstall the drivers or will it go crazy again?  How can I download the other driver if my computer isn't working because I uninstalled all the graphic card drivers?

I got a computer from Dell, it didn't have all the bells and whistles but when I went to play the Sims 2 game, added all of the expansion packs and downloaded tons of stuff from online to put into the game-it never crashed on me.  Not once.

And that graphics card wasn't as powerful as this card.  I didn't have to install any new drivers for it.

So, why doesn't this graphics card and driver work without having to download another version?

I feel so stinking dumb right now.  I think I'll just wait for someone from DS-Josh or whoever- to walk me through it step by step.  I appreciate what you've written and you're trying to help me but I'm an idiot and need my hand held through the whole thing. 
Wacko

Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 9:30pm
Dont feel bad I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to take the side off my case :P

Once you get used it, it'll take a short time everything will be better :)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 9:33pm
LOL Good, it's not just me.  I'm telling you, there's too much machine here for me to handle.  Sleepy
Thanks Solo.  I'm sure it will get better and I'll be flying once I get this driver for the graphics card  issue out of the way.  I'm happy with everything else. Tongue
This is my only complaint and it's a software issue.
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 9:38pm
Yeah.. I'll admit as well when I first saw the white box with the crazy amount of odd looking cables/adaptors in it, fear overtook me for a few seconds because nowhere on the DS website did it say "Some assembly required" Tongue

Edited by Solo - 08 Dec 2007 at 9:39pm
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 10:07pm
after installing the video card drivers, did you adjust the screen resolution?  That is what you're supposed to do...
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 1:05am
In all my years of owning computers I have never once uninstalled a driver to install another.  I have always let the new driver override the old.

These latest drivers for my card concerning Vista I have downloaded and just let them override the existing drivers in place.  I have gone back and forth with the Betas and the WHQLs and never uninstalled the pre-existing drivers.  Never had a problem with this process.  It does sound like you may have a resolution adjustment to make.

Typically if it starts a search in your system for information, you'll need to have the original disk handy for use.  Always have the original disk handy before these kinds of projects.  It'll make the job go quicker.

I'm not that computer literate either, but I do know enough to understand the nuts and bolts.  I think it's all part of the intrigue too load programs, search for software and troubleshoot some of the problems that occur.  It makes me dig deeper for information and helps me to understand the system in a more intimate way.

Take a deep breath and remember, with every problem there is a solution.  More often than not it is an easier solution than we sometimes seek.

When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, then you will be ready to go, grasshopper.    
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 4:38am

Pineapplerum:

The screen showed up with large text because the video card was no longer installed. You can change the resolution for your desktop before installing the new driver to make things easier to see. There wasn't a need to system restore, but no real harm done. I know it looks like things were going haywire, but that resolution change is nothing to get worried about.Wink

While having remnants of old drivers messing up a new install may not always occur or even be common, I have seen it on my previous computer. Since then, I have made it a practice not to simply overwrite the new files. In my limited experience, it's a good idea to uninstall a driver before installing a new driver version, or when re-installing a driver because you are experiencing a problem. It's something I do to eliminate the possibility this is the source of a problem.

I don't work for DSO, but here's my best guess on the driver versions:

New drivers are being released all the time. If they have a driver that is stable with the equipment they have the system hooked up to for testing, there's no good reason to change that. In fact, there are good reasons not to if DSO hopes to provide it's customers with a throughly tested system in a timely fashion. They have to run the system through a battery of tests before shipping to make sure it's stable and without problems, so you can see why they would want to work with as many known quantities as possible. They can't possibly have data on every config running all available software, so they run with as many known "good" values as possible.

That would be my best guess as to why the latest drivers would not be installed anyway. Ask them when you call on Monday.  

When it gave you the option of what to uninstall, if you are updating the graphics drivers only, just check that box Smile. It will uninstall only the drivers you are about to re-install after it reboots.

The tech you talked with was probably just trying to eliminate the problem he felt was most likely the source of your trouble first. This is not to say he wouldn't have suggested other things after the fact, but I would not let this shake my trust in what a capable person has you do in trying to pin down the problem in your system. Remote troubleshooting is hard as hell even with simple devices, and these machines are not simple.

If you are having problems adjusting the screen resolution after removing the drivers, you can (now that you have restored) download the new drivers, unzip them and prepare them for use, and *then* uninstall your old drivers. Your machine should be working normally after uninstalling a graphics driver, even though the text is larger.

Installing a new driver can take quite a while. I think my machine took almost 15 minutes to complete the task, and I have seen it take longer than that before.

Anyway. I wouldn't want you to try doing things you're not comfortable with, or that you'd just find frustrating and confusing. Don't feel stupid either. I've pounded my head with my palm more than once trying to figure out how to deal with various problems on my computers over the years. I have never had tech support, of any kind up until now from the builder, so you can imagine how smoothly some of those problems went for me at first. LOL

I'm only sorry I wasn't able to help you better in figuring this particular problem out so you can enjoy your system over the weekend.

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 9:46am
I'll agree with Tyler about uninstalling drivers first.  I wouldn't say it's the best practice not to eliminate the old driver when troubleshooting a driver issue, or something that might relate to it.

Troubleshooting computer issues really is a process of deductive reasoning when it comes down to it.  Eliminate the potential of one thing to find resolve in the next step.  And, these rockin rigs that DS builds can be quite intimidating, no doubt.

It's kinda funny.  My IT dude at the office always tells me, "The first thing you do when you think your rig is taking a dump is... REBOOT!!"  He actually hollers that at me to get the point across... lol!  He says, "Ed, you're your worst problem with that new rig.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Not that this is your situation.  I just like to experiment and try new things while dabbling into the dark realms of downloads and mystery programs.  I drive him nuts... teehee!

Call the DS dudes and I'm sure they'll have you in gigaheaven in no time!

Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 12:53pm
Very good posts.  This is the stuff that keeps me coming here every day.  The wealth of information.  I have never learned so much about computers as I have here in the last month.

And, I too agree with tyler and ed.  I am 95 % self taught on computer trouble shooting.  I have spent my years searching the web everytime I find a problem.

Be thankful that this forum exists and that DSO has acutal live people you can talk to on the phone for tech. support.

You ever call Dell?  I had to one time when my neighbor's new computer came in and I had to set it up for him.  It was missing parts and had issues.  I spent a long time on the phone tree and with different "tech's" in some far away land.  They have no answers, just a list of canned responses to questions.  I finally resorted to giving a USB cable he needed as it was obvious Dell wasn't going to send us one.

Anyway, this is, as always, just my opinion.  I am in no way any expert.
Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 1:52pm
Heart Thank you for explaining these things to me.  I didn't mean to put down Josh in anyway.  He said to use the Beta driver and then other people told me not to use the Beta drivers. I just realized after reading the posts about uninstalling drivers that gave the graphics card problems, I never uninstalled the other driver Ihad in there before installing the Beta driver. So-he may have been completely right and I apologize for doubting his skill and knowledge. Sorry Josh. Unhappy I'll talk to him on Monday and let him walk me through everything. 

I didn't mean Dell was better than DS in any way.  I just meant, the computer I have from them has a less powerful graphics card but it never crashed on me.  But Ed explained that certain graphics cards get updated drivers and I guess the graphics card I had in that computer didn't get any up dates for it.  I guess it was just luck with that card. 

I have called Dell.  It was an Indian person-she was nice.  She had to remotely "take over" my computer to fix it. Which was fine with me.  As long as it worked when she was finished. I thought it was pretty cool.
But I know you're right about them not being as personable.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 2:06pm
GUESS WHAT? I did it!!!!  Big%20smile You guys made me brave.  I uninstalled the drivers I had on the computer and I had the Beta driver Josh told me to install still on my desk top so I installed that again. I changed the settings like you told me to and so far everything is okay.  I'm going to play some games to see if it crashes on me again.
You DS community people are sooooo cool!!!! Cool Thanks again.

Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 2:14pm
I instruct everyone I talk to to use the beta drivers.  Here's a good rule of thumb...

do what you want... but we're the ones who built your pc, we're the ones who test your pc, and if we suggest something, and someone else who doesn't work for us or know anythign about your specific system says something different... who are you wanting to listen too?  The company who you spent x-amount of money with or someone who may or may not have the correct answer?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Kelly

I instruct everyone I talk to to use the beta drivers.  Here's a good rule of thumb...

do what you want... but we're the ones who built your pc, we're the ones who test your pc, and if we suggest something, and someone else who doesn't work for us or know anythign about your specific system says something different... who are you wanting to listen too?  The company who you spent x-amount of money with or someone who may or may not have the correct answer?

Now Kelly, you know you and Alex are our huckleberrys about many things that are DS, but, there has been some misinformation at times that has caused people to seek other's opinions here on these forums.  With the added rookie tech base and the overwhelming influx of business, you guys have had some episodes of, let's say, not so good communication to some of the prospects and buyers here.  It's all part of the human thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying that you guys are less than what many of us are saying you are... which is great.  I am saying, though, many responses to some of the questions brought to the board here have been answered extremely well by non-employed techs, and if you think about it, probably has helped to some degrees alleviate some of the work load of you guys having to answer the barrage of questions posted.

Nevertheless, it is still good practice for anyone looking for answers to questions you never knew you had, to hook-up with a tech from the DS hood and get the official poop on it.

Can you still feel the love, Kelly?  Hug

bfrank2me View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bfrank2me Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 2:45pm
Anybody else notice how cranky Kelly is now that he's turned 40?
Evil%20Smile
...the first hundred years are the hardest
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 3:26pm

lol

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by bfrank2me

Anybody else notice how cranky Kelly is now that he's turned 40?
Evil%20Smile

He's just dreading the fact that he's at the age where he has to go get his first colonoscopy.  Some might call it... "The Black Snake."

It's ok Kelly, they'll sedate you nicely and you won't feel a thing.  Just remember to check you rear end for a wet spot on your way out of the doctor's office.  That can be a little embarrassing.

Embarrassed
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 8:06pm
Qoute from Ed:

"He's just dreading the fact that he's at the age where he has to go get his first colonoscopy.  Some might call it... "The Black Snake.""

Negative, Ed!

50 is the age for the anal probe!  I have 6 more years of back end virginity to savor!

uggggg

That said, yes, 40 is the age we real men are allowed to become cranky!  It is the law!

Wink

Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Windows 7,64b
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 8:25pm
Actually, it's 50 for women and recommended for men between the ages of 40 and 45. 

Better get yer colon in line and gitter snaked!
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 8:29pm
You are evil, Ed! HA!

Tell you what, Ed.  You go first, I am right behind ya.  Oops, no pun intended!

LOL

Edited by Dog Lover - 09 Dec 2007 at 8:34pm
Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Windows 7,64b
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 1:08am
All this talk about colons has got me all backed up.

Be right back...
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 1:43pm
Sorry Kelly Shocked

I hope I didn't offend Josh too badly. 
OlBull View Drop Down

Quote OlBull Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 3:06pm
Don't pick on Kelly now.  He turned me on to the ULTRA case................................so he'll always be on my good side.  Thumbs%20Up

EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by OlBull

Don't pick on Kelly now.  He turned me on to the ULTRA case................................so he'll always be on my good side.  Thumbs%20Up

Kelly's good side for a colonoscopy would be the left. 
 Post Reply Post Reply