Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
awestover89 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Gaming Build Assistance
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:49pm
Hello all,

I had been looking at iBuyPower and Cyberpower, but kept seeing comments suggesting people to check out Digital Storm, so now I am here Big%20Smile

I am looking for a gaming rig for my fiance. He is currently running on a 3 year old laptop and spends more time complaining about slow load times and mediocre graphics than playing, so I figured it was a good time to upgrade. I just built my own gaming rig back in January, but due to a lot of difficulty dealing with RMAs and other build problems, this time I want a custom built rig that I don't have to worry about the building part.

Budget: Hoping to stay around $1500, including monitor and Windows 7, not including any other peripherals.

Expectations: Basic gaming rig, can run Star Wars: The Old Republic on highest settings. SSD for load times. Single monitor setup, no need for SLI.

Usage: Gaming, mostly SW:ToR and LoL. Web surfing, light DVD/video watching.

Some must haves:
Solid State Drive as main boot drive, minimum 120GB, 1TB 7200 RPM data hard drive.
Monitor shouldn't be smaller than 20 inches or larger than 24 inches.
Mostly looking at GTX 560 Ti or GTX 570.
Either 8GB or 16GB of RAM, preferably 1600.
Green is his favorite color, if that can somehow be worked into the case, that would be a plus, but not a deal breaker.

Also, where is the configurator? I found a place to load a configuration, but not a place to make one. Otherwise I probably would have tried to make my own build before running to the community.

Thanks in advance

Edited by awestover89 - 06 May 2012 at 12:50pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:57am
Hi awestover89....Welcome..

For your budget I just don't see a rig with the gtx560, SSD and a monitor.  Go to DS home page, click on Products, Gaming Desktops, Special Ops and start from there.   The pre-configs like ODE and Marauder lieup are the best bang for the buck but would require you to buy and mount your own SSD.  The Marauder lvl 3 or ODE lvl 1with HD 7850 graphic card would be close to gtx 570 performance. 

Hope this helps.Big%20Smile

awestover89 View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:53am
Wow, didn't realize the DS markup was that extreme, was playing around with the configurator and wasn't able to stay below about $1650 for what I was looking at.

Thanks for the help, but I'm probably just going to go with iBuyPower or bite the bullet and build again, just hope no RMA's this time.

Thanks again
LaneHayes View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:39pm

If you want a chop shop PC with tighter margins, thats fine. The reason you purchase a DS computer over a factory line is issues like "a lot of difficulty dealing with RMAs and other build problems." as well as poor results from cheap labor. You're buying more of a service than just the hardware.

Having had a technical issue with my DS machine, I can personally attest that the support is top notch. Everything was quickly fixed and they could not have been more helpful. Depending technology so much in my job has taught me a qualified IT associate on your team is worth the added cost, along with the lesson that technology will always fail at some point.

You can continue to use price as your only deciding factor, but my free time and frustration mitigation was worth the added cost. Its like buying a $10 bike helmet at Walmart; its cheaper and serves the same purpose, but just hope you never ever need it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:46pm
I'm going to lock this thread since the discussion is over for now.

For quality bang-for-buck builds, we do offer very aggressively priced systems under our Marauder and ODE product line which is in the Special|OPS category. Custom built units are priced higher.

Edited by Alex - 07 May 2012 at 2:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply