Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Headset
    Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 7:35am
I'm going to go shopping today (I'm visiting family in chicago) and I'm between the Creative Fatal1ty Pro Gaming Headset and the Steelseries 5H v2. (or other options)

No more than 100bones please.

Someone please compel me one way or the other!

audio-ly yours,
brad
bjt
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 9:24am
personally id get some icemats, but between the two id take steel
ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 9:56am
icemats? buh?

edit: Oh the siberia's
better than the 5h v2's?

Edited by ArmourBrad - 05 Jul 2008 at 10:06am
bjt
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 10:54am

i doubt there will be much tangible difference. i can tell you though that the icemat headphones are by far the most comfortable pair i've ever had on, i dont use my speakers at all, every second im at my computer i have these on and they fulfill every sound and comfort requirement 100%, they can get very loud if need be and they are great for noise-canceling if you put them on all the way or, due to thier flexible design, perfect for around your neck or one-ear off situations.

their mic does completely suck which is why i made the comment about if you already have a mic
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 12:26pm
I've always used the Steelseries 5H. Only con to this headset is that the padding can't be cleaned or replaced.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 1:55pm
same with icemats, i dont know why they dont make this stuff at LEAST removable if not completely replacable. the best luck i've had cleaning my icemats has been pinning them on the desk and beating the crap out of them with a lint roller.  them being glass-like fragile doesnt help that process either
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 2:43pm
So is a mic a requirement for a "gaming" headset? If not, there are many other options. For decent sound, comfort and cleaning, sennheiser is great. There is even some in-ear canal model to block outside noise.

For pure audio performance, it's hard to beat Grado at any price point. Comfort requires adjustment of the metal headband. I also like mine loose so I wear a cap with em. The foam earcovers are removeable as well. Sorry, I don't know anything about stuff with mics on em tho.

P.S. I do think I saw something about sennheiser having a gaming headset with a mic. You might look at those if so. Sennheiser are top notch sound and comfort. They've always been my choice in high end audio headphones that are so comfortable you can forget you're wearing em. They are almost as good as grado in sound quality with grado having the edge in bass quality, extension and impact as well as maintaining a more natural musical warmth.

Edited by widdlecat - 05 Jul 2008 at 2:47pm
Bismark View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bismark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 1:24am
Widdlecat was correct, Sennheiser makes several Gaming headsets, they look nice too..if a lil pricey.

Sennhieser Gaming headsets
Asus Rampage Formula
Core 2 Quad Q9550
2 ATI Radeon HD4870 Crossfire
4GB Corsair DHX 1066
1000W Corsair HX
DS 850Si

widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 1:42am
BTW, when I say that sennheiser isn't as good as grado in audio quality, it should be noted that I classify grado headphones as best period. The guys at sennheiser kinda disagreed with my reviews comparing them to grado, but in the end they proved me wrong. My grado reference headphones were outdone by their reference electrostatic headphones with dedicated vaccum tube amplifier. The cost difference placed them in entirely different worlds however. I mean, the grado was selling for $625 and the sennheiser was selling for $15,000 and were limited edition.
Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 2:07pm
I can vouch for the Creative headset you are looking at, it is comfortable for extended wear, has good sound, and great reproduction of sound direction for use in shooters and other games where positional audio from attack sources is important. (I use SoundBlaster X-Fi Gamer sound card). The Mic works great, it is easy to understand what I say and my friends I game with all say the noise cancelling on the mic on my headset is excellent.

The headphones also have nice sound reproduction, I mean things sound like they should. I am not an audiophile but music is nice, bass is good and not buzzing when I crank the volume, it is all good, and the price is right, compared to many of these headsets with multiple hundreds of dollars as a base price point.

I like them alot and use them daily.

Dave
Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
MaxCoert View Drop Down

Quote MaxCoert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 4:31pm
I use a Apex HP-80 which was only 35 dollars at long and mquade in Canada. The sound is awesome and they fit really comfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply