FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gaming headset

Post Date: 2008-08-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nomec View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nomec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: gaming headset
    Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 10:29am
Okay so I have never purchased a gaming headset before and I am looking to do so in the next few weeks. I will be playing Warhammer Online so I would like to be able to talk to my guild members as well as get some good sound out of my system as well.

I don't mind spending a decent amount of money as long as I am getting what I pay for. I would like to have a mic as well on the headset (obviously for speech) and if it can be de-tachable that would be cool but I doubt that is a feature many have. Also, 5.1... I hear you can get really get positional sound out of 5.1 headphones (unless most you buy use 5.1 and it's not really a feature - im just a newb) - I am using a X-Fi card so I should be able to take advantage of this. Another thing... do all of the good sets go over your head or are there any that can go on the back of the head (i find that more comfortable but if not then whatever)?

So, anyone have any recommendations? I don't really have any clue where to start so I would like to hear from some people.
QX6850 @ 3.33ghz
Nvidia 680i A1
4gb pc1066 RAM
2x GTX 275s
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Rolet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rolet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 11:36am
I'm using the creative fatal1ty headset and I get awesome sound, it also has a detachable mic. Here is a link http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/creative_fatal1ty_review/
x9700 @ 3.60 Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1200W PC Power & Cooling ESA
2 8800 Ultra OC
4GB 1800 OCZ
150g raptor (Raid 0), 1TB
Watercool CPU/Dual GPU
Creative XiFi Fatality
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 3:46pm
Sennheiser headphones are the king of comfort. They offer gaming headsets, but I dunno if they have any 5.1 sound types. Still, I thought that X-Fi or at least creative's EAX 4.0 has emulation for surround sound built in.
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 4:25pm
I agreed with a set of posters in this one link.  http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60116

And that 5.1 headphones are a "gimmick" of sorts.  Hence why getting a pair of headphones (As Widdlecat has said, Grado and Sennheiser).  Is all that's needed, and a good sound card of course.

I could be wrong though.  Do 5.1 headphones "really" exist?  And really work for that matter lol.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 27 Aug 2008 at 4:25pm
"People believe in people who believe in others."
 Post Reply Post Reply