FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming Laptop For... Well Gaming

Post Date: 2014-06-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NewD1v1de View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NewD1v1de Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Laptop For... Well Gaming
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 12:24pm
Budget:
My budget isn't really decided because I'm not sure how much a decent gaming laptop costs.

Expectations:
I'd expect it to be able to play most games at 60 fps with good graphics. Ultra graphics for mmos like wildstar/tera online and maybe lower settings for those higher end games like crysis if necessary.

Usage:
Used for gaming and surfing the web. I don't do any video editing or rendering.

Special Needs:
I'd like it to come with one of the carry bags because I'm getting a laptop for traveling and gaming.

Specs of one I was looking at. I'm not sure if this would be able to run games on ultra or if it would. Any recommendations?

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Krypton 17.3 Inch Laptop (Model: S:8298)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: !SPECIAL PRICE: Intel Core i7 4810MQ (Up to 3.80Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache) (LIMITED TIME ONLY)

Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

mSATA SSD: - No Thanks
Storage Drive 1: 120GB Solid State - Samsung 840 EVO

Storage Drive 2: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)

Wireless Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth 4.0
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M 8GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: McAfee Internet Security 2014

Office Suite: - No Thanks
Cooling Pad: Cooler Master NotePal U2 Plus (Aluminum & Rubber Finish)

Extra Charger: - No Thanks
Extra Battery: - No Thanks
Carry Bag: Targus CityGear Messenger (Supports Up to 17 Inch Models)

Audio: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 1:56pm
Hey NewD1v1de... welcome to the forums and DS...

Look at Roykirk's very well written review of the Krypton. For a gaming laptop, apparently you can't go wrong with this one.

PCMag loves it, too ......

Edit*... someday I'll learn how to link appropriately... /facepalm/

Edited by Snaike - 12 Jun 2014 at 2:06pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 5:17pm
NewD1v1de,

I don't run Wildstar or Tera Online(sp?), so can't speak to those particular games.  My MMO's of choice (as you can see in my signature) are Second Life, Star Trek Online, and Elder Scrolls Online.  Of those, ESO is a current game and I am running it with Ultra settings (per GeForce Experience recommendations) with one exception: I run Full-Screen (Windowed) on all my games as I use multiple monitors when I'm at home with my laptop, and work in other apps while gaming. I consistently average 45-60 FPS in ESO and I'm sure that would improve using only my Krypton's display and going Full-Screen without windowing.

I'm sure Crysis would likely require you lowering the settings somewhat, but unless you demand the highest of frame rates in all games, I think you'll find the Krypton does quite well.  Definitely stick with the 880M and you might want to even bump the RAM up to 16GB, but that might not be necessary if you're only running a game and not doing anything else.

As Snaike mentioned, PC Magazine had some good things to say and I'm really happy that DS is getting some press in what I'd consider the grandfather of mainstream (even business-oriented) PC magazines, and not just in magazines for higher-end, niche computing.

Edited by Roykirk - 12 Jun 2014 at 5:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply