FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming monitor help

Post Date: 2019-02-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vital View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vital Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming monitor help
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:38pm
Hey guys have a couple of questions I just bought the avatumx With a 2080 inside of it However I also got a monitor from MSI that just arrived and I notice that it's A1080 monitor. Since I've been doing shopping getting ready for my new desktop to arrive which included a new keyboard and monitor I'm worried that my computer will cause a lot of Tearing for this monitor. Since I'm running a 2080 would that be too much for A1080 monitor to handle I'm not really sure about this as usually I stick with laptops and this is my 2nd desktop. I'm looking at playing some decent games like Rainbow 6 Black desert Anthem And some other games between 2 and 4K honestly don't really care that much about 4K but I at least wanna have a higher resolution than 1080. I'm also looking at a curved monitor but don't really wanna break the bank On buying A4K maybe A 2k at most.

Would love to hear feedback on this as I still have a month before my desktop gets here
Have you tried turning it off and on again
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:22pm
the resolution doesn't affect screen tearing so much as the refresh rate.
At 1080p with a 2080 you want either a 144hz or 240hz monitor. I have a list of all Gsync compatible and Gsync monitors in this thread. Personally my main monitor is a 144hz 1440p 27'" from Acer. I also have a 1080p that is 144hz but my acer is gsync compatible. Then for just pure quality I have a 4k tv that runs at 60hz with 120hz overscan.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:34pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS. The Aventum X is their top of the line system. If you want to share, we like to know what you configured it with and of course, would really like images of the monster when you get it. You do know it is huge, right? LOL

You will not have any problems with the 1080p monitor. You will be able to play everything maxed out without any issues. You could go to a 1440 (2K) which would also play great with that gpu. 4K will play but might have to dial back some settings in some games. IMHO, right now the best option would be a 1440 and your system will probably play all games maxed out.

Enjoy. Awesome

BTW with that card you will be able to run the 1080 and a 1440. I have that same setup in mine and have only 980s.

Psyoshi covered the refresh rate.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 08 Feb 2019 at 11:40pm
Vital View Drop Down

Quote Vital Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 1:18am
Originally posted by hoserator

Congratulations and welcome to DS. The Aventum X is their top of the line system. If you want to share, we like to know what you configured it with and of course, would really like images of the monster when you get it. You do know it is huge, right? LOL
You will not have any problems with the 1080p monitor. You will be able to play everything maxed out without any issues. You could go to a 1440 (2K) which would also play great with that gpu. 4K will play but might have to dial back some settings in some games. IMHO, right now the best option would be a 1440 and your system will probably play all games maxed out.
Enjoy. Awesome
BTW with that card you will be able to run the 1080 and a 1440. I have that same setup in mine and have only 980s.
Psyoshi covered the refresh rate.Big%20Smile

Yeh after I bought it I was like hmmm am I going to have enough space in my room and should I put it on a table or the floor lol. As of now floor is prob the best option. As for the build.

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) 
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar) 
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular) 
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready) 
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) 
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) 
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) 
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Edited by Vital - 09 Feb 2019 at 1:20am
Vital View Drop Down

Quote Vital Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 2:49am
Ended up buying the z35 Predator off Amazon as I got 100 taken off of it.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
Predator monitors are pretty good so can't go wrong there if you got the money.
Vital View Drop Down

Quote Vital Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 2:01pm
Yeh it was gsync and curved and somewhat cheap. Honestly don't want to spend 800+ on a monitor as I have spent quite alot on the desktop

The downside is the size as I wanted to keep it around 27 but alot of the 27s are 4k and like 800+

Edited by Vital - 09 Feb 2019 at 2:03pm
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:17am
I did not want to start another thread, so forgive me for hijacking this one.

Let's talk reality here with monitors.

I currently use a 2011/12 Dell 23 inch Ultrasharp IPS monitor. Its nice, but with new toys comes other new toys.

I am looking at buying/using this:

AOC Agon AG271QX

It is QHD 2560x1440, 144hz, 1ms response, doesn't make coffee though. It is a TN panel.

1. The 2070 RTX card should be fine for this resolution correct? Destiny 2 is probably the game that I play that is most intensive, as woW is like watching 1980's cartoons on a 4k TV. I mean they are 1980's cartoons....

Mainly I don't need Ultra on everything, but yes I like a fandamntastic picture if I can get it without making the card smoke.

2. TN panels range from Awesome to "I'm now blind!" in opinions. Considering that I will be like 3 feet from this monitor and directly in front of it, I would think the coloring and picture will be great. Yes I have an IPS now, but it is mainly because at the time the price was awesome, but I do not edit photos or do video. Yes I do like vibrant colors but I am not a 4k guy, I am ok with 1080p HD and a blue ray every so often.

My goals are to have a slightly larger monitor because I can, get a sharper and great picture as I play the game, and not have to care about fps. I am still on the fence if I even need 1440p, but i read at 27 inches or more you do.

My back up monitor would be:

Alienware - AW2518H. I might try to be cheap and get the freesync version instead of the g sync now that you can use both with Nvidia cards.

Please let the opinions and knowledge flow, and at some point I will consolidate and choose. Thanks!
Vital View Drop Down

Quote Vital Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 10:42am
alienware is prob the best bet as it has great reviews. aoc is also not a bad one but i never really see them around does not mean they are bad just i dont see a lot of gamers using them. also not all free sync works with nvida which is why i spent the 450 on mine actually it is 630$ but i got a discount on it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:47am
Our fellow poster, Psyoshi, has recently provided us with this info:

Compatibility listing for Nvidia GPU

The list reveals the Freesync monitors that are now compatible with G-Sync since the latest Nvidia driver update. I would recommend you have a look at this list before deciding.

The RTX 2070 is exactly what you are looking for according to your description. It's considered the optimal price/performance solution at 1440p. There are only a handful of games you might wish to back off Ultra/maxed out. On Destiny 2, I have seen it averages 83 FPS maxed out at 1440p.

Hope it helps.

If you end up with a TN panel, please come back and tell us all how you like it!!!

Edited by Cretae - 14 Feb 2019 at 7:00am
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:00pm
If I do get a monitor, I'll do my best to write up the differences between a 23 inch IPS monitor @ 60hz (1080p) vs what will probably be a 27 TN panel @ 144hz and 1440p.

The Dell S2716DGR might now be the option, and that would be a G Sync based TN panel with 144hz and 1440p resolution.

Stay tuned.
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 11:59am
FYI Update:

I received the new PC (Lynx Level 4) and decided to stay with my current 23-24inch IPS monitor from Dell. It only handles 60hz but the games I play look way better than they did and the frame rates are at numbers in the three digits at full on graphic settings. I will probably wait for a deal and then pounce.

Thanks for all the help though.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 3:40am
Appreciate the update.
 Post Reply Post Reply