Gaming PC, Arma 3

Post Date: 2016-11-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming PC, Arma 3
    Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 9:28pm
I'm very close to purchasing my first DS PC, depending on which route I go with. Before I get into that, I will list what the PC will be used for: Arma 3, other games, School, etc. Now, I really want the PC to play Arma 3 on Ultra with a decent frame rate(FPS). I'll list the 2 configurations:

The First build is a budget build, plain and simple. I can buy it today and probably have it within a month. 1516430

The Second build is definitely a better build(what I would ideally want). However, I can't afford to order it until the end of December, thus it would be around the end of January until it finally arrived. 1516621

I'm definitely conflicted as you can see. If one of the gurus on this site could give their opinions on my first and second builds with relevant information pertaining to Arma 3 that would be great!!!
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 2:47am
Hi Batman34.... I have played Arma3 on an overclocked 2500k and gtx 970 on Ultra with a 1080p screen with no issues.   I wouldn't go any lower than my build for a decent frame rate.

Your first build is CPU with no oc and the very weak gtx 1050ti. I think you'd be disappointed.

The gtx 1060 in your second build is close to the gtx 970 I have and the minimum I would suggest for decent gaming.   Your overclocked CPU in #2 is also desirable since the ARMA series tends to be a CPU hog because of its optimization, at least as of its first release.

My suggestion is to get #2 and you'll be much happier.

Hope this helps
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:45am
Hey Bprat, from your experience with Arma, how many fps can I expect online versus single-player, assuming I purchase a good gaming PC(1491756)?

Edited by Batman34 - 07 Nov 2016 at 11:46am
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 11:58am
With my 970 I was getting 60ish on max on a 1080p monitor, single player. With that builds gtx1060 you'd probably get another 10% , so mid to upper 60fps.   That's an estimate, since my older 2500k CPU is oc'd to 4.4. Your 6700 , non k, is a lower clock speed.

Never did multi player.

If you want a higher res screen like a1440p or a 144mhz vs 60 MHz then a better card like the 1070 is needed.

ARMA 3 is all over the place in performance with some being happy how it plays and others unhappy with stronger cards.   The game can be finicky.

Kyser13th View Drop Down

Quote Kyser13th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm
It all depends on which style of Arma 3 you plan on playing multiplayer wise. Certain things like King of the Hill, or Advance and secure are more taxing then say DayZ or Armageddon. My best recomendation as a person who has gamed in Arma since Arma 1 is to go above the recomended specs to get a better experience in the simulation.

As Bprat22 has said, Arma is a finnicky thing depending on what you are doing.

Another thing you are going to have to do regardless of what system you build, is go into Arma 3 and mess with individual video settings to get the best results, don't just jump it and slam everything to max.

Edit: After looking at the builds you have I agree with Bprat22, you'll be happier with the second build. Though if it were me, I'd hold out or find another way to scrap together that extra $151 and get a GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (ASUS Turbo). The $151 dollar difference in performance is worth it IMHO.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3609vs3639

There's a comparison of both cards. Also is financing an option for you? I was actually surprise by the company that does financing for Digital storm and they were easy to work with.

Edited by Kyser13th - 09 Nov 2016 at 1:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply