FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming PC config help

Post Date: 2020-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ryanh829 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ryanh829 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming PC config help
    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 2:19pm
Hi all!
It’s finally about time to upgrade to my next DS gaming PC. It’s been a while so not totally sure where to start with a build.

Budget:
$4,000 unless there’s a compelling reason to go a little higher.

Expectations:
I currently play mostly FPS and open world games (Call of Duty, The Division 2, Far Cry and soon Cyberpunk 2077) and want those to all play super smoothly on ultra settings. I have a 1440p 144hz monitor but may be making the jump to a 1440p with 240hz so want to plan for really cranking up frame rates without sacrificing much in the way of visual quality.

I’m also interested in trying out VR in titles like Squadrons so want to make sure it’s built to handle that as well.

Usage:
This will only be for gaming at this point so don’t have to plan for anything else.

Special Needs:
No special needs

Any help or a starting point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:25am
No need to stretch that budget quite so far for what you want, IMHO.

For gaming, you won't need more than the Intel i7-10700K. Sure, there are two procs above that one for sale here, but they are hardly a bit faster, and the extra cores are of no use for gamers.

With your budget, you can easily go for 32GB of RAM, and upgrade the mobo to a ROG Maximus XII Hero. Then get the 850W power supply for plenty of overhead.

Primary storage MUST be an M.2 NVMe SSD. They run off the PCIe bus instead of SATA, and are 5 times faster. I like the 512GB Samsung 970 PRO to have a lean and mean C drive that's easy to scan and easy to clone for backup. The larger ones tend to be a little pricy. Same thing with the larger SATA SSDs. You could go for another NVMe for Storage 2, within your budget, but games load pretty well from a SATA SSD as well.

For those higher framerates, you would be pleased with the RTX 3080. Don't overclock it.

Get the dual fan all-in-one cooler.

All that will come in around 3200+ in a Lumos case after your discount, depending on some selections. That leaves plenty of room to upgrade the case and case fans, etc. if you want.

Compare prices online for storage options if you're comfortable upgrading your own later. If not, the budget allows you headroom to have DS install plenty of it.

Questions? Have fun with the configurator.
ryanh829 View Drop Down

Quote ryanh829 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:00am
Awesome, thank you so much, that's super helpful!

Here's the build I made: 3491636

And I had a few questions:

-What's the reasoning for not overclocking the GPU?

-In terms of a case upgrade is there a benefit to doing that besides aesthetics?

-Anything else you'd change in here? Both for the immediate needs or to help future proof it to last a bit longer?

Thanks again!
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:59am
What Cretae gave you is an excellent build that will last well in to the future. As far as why not overclocking the GPU, well, those RTX 3080s are, even at stock, running way up there in clock speed. If DS puts any RTX 3080 in there other then the FE edition, say like Asus, EVGA etc., those will be slightly overclocked. However, the FE at nvidia's base clock speeds will do just fine unless you want to squeeze out 3-8 more fps from a game. Remember, overclocking causes additional heat.
The Lumos case, based on my limited knowledge but having looked at the diff. between the Lynx and Lumos, I can say that you are just getting a better case all around for not that much extra.

The only thing I would suggest is add a second drive for storage, games and so on. The cheapest way is an HDD (mechanical hard drive) but would highly recommend a sata SSD, what size is up to you but personally I would recommend at least a 1 TB. You can always easily add more storage later.

I am sure others will chime here, but just had to throw in my rusty pennies worth.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 26 Oct 2020 at 12:01pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
That's pretty much the build I had in mind for you. You have no additional storage, which you will need pretty quickly if you want that "lean and mean" and easily managed primary drive. If you have storage you can bring over, that will do nicely. As I said, the 1TB SSDs DS offers are convenient enough to buy here that the premium for installation, testing, and DS warranty is easy to pay. When you get into the 2GB and above, they are quite better priced if you can install your own. That's not a knock on what DS charges, it's just a fact. With your budget, fwfdfireman is correct, you should be thinking all SSD storage.

We don't recommend overclocking the GPU on air cooling because it doesn't result in much performancewise, but it makes the fans kick on more often at higher speeds, and stresses the card. In the special case of the RTX 3000s, they have had to have a special driver modification from Nvidia because the alternate manufacturers got too aggressive with the cards when they are already aggressively clocked at stock. That's an over-simplification, but you can look into it yourself. I think it may be particularly risky to overclock a 3000 series.

The Lumos case has very good air flow and looks great. The Lynx is not quite as attractive IMHO, but comes with the RGB fans at no extra $. It also stays pretty cool, so your choice. I would like the colors, but it costs quite a bit in the Lumos for the Corsair LLs.

This build could well last up to 8 years with just a GPU upgrade waayy down the line! Good job!
ryanh829 View Drop Down

Quote ryanh829 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:50pm
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the help everyone! Off I go!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:38am
It's our pleasure, ryanh829. Welcome back!
 Post Reply Post Reply