Post Date: 2020-01-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Downset4130 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Downset4130 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming PC
    Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:28am
About to surprise my daughter with her first gaming PC. wanted a little advice if this is a good starting point. her game list she plays is Apex legends,call of duty,fortnite to name a few. shes coming from xbox and playstation .

Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 2850062     
$2,173.00     $2,173.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:57am
For a starter gaming PC, you have a very good build outlined. Key elements for gaming are the CPU (9700K - good); GPU (RTX 2060 - good for 1080p gaming) and you have an AIO water liquid cooler.

I am not a fan of Windows 10 Home. That was the first thing I changed on my daughter's PC. Otherwise, I think she will love that build!!

Quote Downset4130 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

For a starter gaming PC, you have a very good build outlined. Key elements for gaming are the CPU (9700K - good); GPU (RTX 2060 - good for 1080p gaming) and you have an AIO water liquid cooler.

I am not a fan of Windows 10 Home. That was the first thing I changed on my daughter's PC. Otherwise, I think she will love that build!!

Thanks for the reply back, im trying to do as much research as i can for this. what is the issues with windows 10?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:40am
Windows 10 updates are unreliable and buggy. Sometimes fatally. With Windows 10-Pro, you have control over when updates are installed. Basically, you can delay them as long as possible before having to install.

My daughters never think twice about auto updates. They question why the computers crash on them. Installing Pro on all of their machines removes one my variable from the Dad-IT department hotline.

Quote Downset4130 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

Windows 10 updates are unreliable and buggy. Sometimes fatally. With Windows 10-Pro, you have control over when updates are installed. Basically, you can delay them as long as possible before having to install.

My daughters never think twice about auto updates. They question why the computers crash on them. Installing Pro on all of their machines removes one my variable from the Dad-IT department hotline.

Okay good to know that, ill make that switch in the build then.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 8:48am
For the generic gamer use that I use I have had no issues with Win10... maybe I hit the software lottery or something but there's never been a problem with Windows
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 1:29pm
Lol...In my experience problems are most likely to be caused by the things we users download and the places users go on the web with their PC...rather than blaming Windows 10 Updates.    When Win 10 has an update problem, we all have a lot of company experiencing those little bugs world wide, and equally true is that MS then has to work on a hotfix to put into the next update.   Putting updates off does allow a system admin type to run them and witness how they run, but also delays needed bug fixes and applying new security patches to fresh hacks MS has countered.    If you don’t have a system admin type to handle it all for you or your fam, I think it’s best to leave Win10 auto updates on for most folks.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:00am
25 months and no issues at all. Just because you have control over "when" to install updates doesn't mean you know anything at all about "whether" to.

I'd like to recommend you have a long look at the "Best Sellers" models listed under the Lynx case. Your custom build has a mix of name brand parts and Digital Storm parts that may not be the best configuration for a custom build. The top two "Best Sellers" ("prebuilts" we call them as they are substantially ready to go as configured) do not compromise that much for the huge price savings they offer.

IMHO, if you are going to save here and there with DS branded parts you might want to save even more with one of these models. Normally, I would recommend almost $300 in additional spending to elevate your custom build to one that would have better warranted parts and stronger performance. I have the sense you may not wish to go in that direction. Let us know. We'd still like to help
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 6:44am
In the end, it is totally your choice. There are many articles such as this linked below. From this article, a couple of key points:

"Windows 10 Home leaves you open to the vagaries of Microsoft’s forced patching algorithms – Windows gets updated according to Microsoft’s schedule, not yours. If you’ve been following along, you know very well how that’s turned out. July and October were particularly egregious.

If the Windows patches were marginally competent, we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Month after month, though, we’ve seen how premature patches mess things up. I routinely hear conversations among muggles about how Windows bit their butts. And I never, ever tell non-combatants that I watch Windows updates.

Win10 Home occupies an important niche in the Windows ecosystem: Cannon fodder. If you want Microsoft to control your machine, stick with Home. It’s good enough for you. And your screams help us in the peanut gallery figure out where the bugs lie."

This quoted from an article by Woody Leonhard of Computerworld.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3316444/no-windows-10-home-isnt-good-enough-for-the-surface-pro-6.html

From MS's POV, a PC is a throw-away consumable. When you start paying upwards of the neighborhood of several thousand dollars, I personally would want to maintain control; remove bloatware. If you don't want to use Windows Defender (I do use it BTW), you need Pro to be able to disable it from taking over CPU usage.

Quote Downset4130 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Cretae

25 months and no issues at all. Just because you have control over "when" to install updates doesn't mean you know anything at all about "whether" to.

I'd like to recommend you have a long look at the "Best Sellers" models listed under the Lynx case. Your custom build has a mix of name brand parts and Digital Storm parts that may not be the best configuration for a custom build. The top two "Best Sellers" ("prebuilts" we call them as they are substantially ready to go as configured) do not compromise that much for the huge price savings they offer.

IMHO, if you are going to save here and there with DS branded parts you might want to save even more with one of these models. Normally, I would recommend almost $300 in additional spending to elevate your custom build to one that would have better warranted parts and stronger performance. I have the sense you may not wish to go in that direction. Let us know. We'd still like to help

Thanks for that ill take a look now into the prebuilts.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Downset413

Thanks for that ill take a look now into the prebuilts.

FYI, the DS branded parts are not made by them. They are front line parts from reputable and reliable makers that simply eliminate the long term warranties these parts carry under their own brand name. DS is then able to offer them at substantial savings. It is an adage in the computer parts world that goes back many years that a part that does not fail within its first year of life is very, very likely to last until its "mean (average) time to failure" which is normally a ton of usage down the road.

DS relies with good reason upon this well-established track record to be able to offer these pre-builts with very strong performance parts at very attractive prices with only a one year parts warranty. There is every reason to believe, IMO, that purchasing one of the prebuilts will result in a very pleasing and long lasting experience.

Please feel free to ask about any concerns you may have.   
Brian954 View Drop Down

Quote Brian954 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 12:50pm
Of course a $2000+ build is good enough! What!!
 Post Reply Post Reply