FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming router

Post Date: 2008-03-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rank393 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rank393 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming router
    Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 1:35am
Well, the time is going to  come very soon (next week) where I need to grab a router, since I will have two desktops systems that will need my broadband access (cable). My DS monster will be used for A LOT of online gaming and my XPS will be the family throwdown machine. To surf the web and download boyband ish as well as play some games. I'm looking for a GOOD Gaming router.  I don't want their downloads and such cutting into dad's DS induced pwnageDead

I'm not real computer savy so please give me some names of good  gaming routers for broadband.

Thank you in advance

Brian 
Rank393 View Drop Down

Quote Rank393 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 3:45am
 After doing some searching I'm looking at the D-Link DGL-4100  Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router. Anybody have any experience with it good, bad or other?

SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 8:29am
I dont know anything about routers to be honest =P. Though I did have a D-Link wireless once about a year ago, that just at total random times would just reset over and over anywhere from every 15 seconds to gaps of maybe half hour. I never figured out what was wrong with it, I just got so frustrated with it i went out and bought a Linksys, havent had any problems like that since.

What was weird with it is that itd never actually disconnect me from games i was playing at the time, for example WoW. We would be raiding, the router would act like it reset and lost power, the game would just lag freeze, and then when the router came back up about 20 seconds later, everything would start moving again, but super fast till it caught back up with real time. Then the chances of it doing it again within the next minute were really high. Needless to say, this made playing online almost impossible...

I never took it back, namely because i beat the living hell out of it, and its now in pieces somewhere.
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 12:07pm
Well, personally the whole "gaming" series routers is just a marketing ploy man. 

Save yourself some money and get the linksys wrt54gl router.  Fantastic router.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Kelly

Well, personally the whole "gaming" series routers is just a marketing ploy man. 

This is what I use and it works fine.  I agree about the "Gaming Router" scheme. 
Rank393 View Drop Down

Quote Rank393 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 4:28pm

Thanks Kelly and Ed

Rank393 View Drop Down

Quote Rank393 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2008 at 2:15pm
Well I know you folks said gaming routers were not worth, the money but I managed to get my paws on a brand new D-Link Broadband Gigabit Gaming router for $49.00,  (retails for $99.00 or 79 after rebate on Newegg). The  linksys WRT54GL was 62.99 on NewEgg. So I figured what the hell.

Now if only my system was ready (now on day 9). I think I'm going to explode I cannot hold it any longer.      
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2008 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Kelly

Yup, got to agree.  This is the new router that I got to run my monster on and it rocks.  My down loads speeds went from averaging in the 300 -500 kb range to well over 750 kb and often breaks the 1 mb barrier.

I like Linksys way better than any D-link product on the market.  I have always had bad luck with D-link.  Always.
Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
william View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote william Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2008 at 5:51pm
good to knowSmile
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2008 at 1:14pm
I actually just ordered the D-Link DI-655 n/g/b; im figuring it may work better with Vista since it was tested and certified Vista Ready.  Alot of people seem to have Network Issues related to Vista; and from all the crap I've read over the past couple of weeks alot of it may be from the Ipv6 & Ipv4; and he way the packets are sorted and prioritized; etc, etc; hard to concentrate on router gibberish.  So I figured that maybe if I get a Vista compatible Router I can get rid of  the minor drop connection bug I have and supposedly Ill get killer 300mbps from it. 
To be honest it actually makes sense to upgrade to Vista Certified Hardware to get the most out of Vista.

Edited by Mysty - 08 Mar 2008 at 1:16pm
Dog Lover View Drop Down

Quote Dog Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2008 at 6:28pm

I wish you luck, Mysty, but the Linksys mentioned is also Vista ready and it has doubled my speed with my broadband.  It hooks up flawlessly and is literally plug and play.  I have never hooked up any router that was so easy.

Keep your D-link receipts and if you run into problems, return it and go for the wrt54gl. I will assure you that it will be 100 % better.

Oh, and make sure you update your reciever or network card, too, in case you haven't.  Many that are only a few years old will not work with Vista.
Extreme Case
850 Watt Thermaltake
Qx6850 3.0 Ghz (stock speed)
780i Motherboard
4 G, 1066 RAM
2X SLI GTX 260, 896
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermoelectric Liquid Chilled
Windows 7,64b
Mysty View Drop Down

Quote Mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2008 at 6:59pm
Kinda wishing I had read about the Linksys router; seems alot of people on here are happy with it; well I guess Ill see how the D-link goes and if its a real PIA ill return it.

Everything on my Rig is only a month old; and all updated; actually all my peripherals seem to work great with Vista; the Internet issue im hoping will sort itself out with the new router.

It actually makes sense to need a new router with Vista; when you get those DSL/routers from your ISP; they tend to not upgrade the firmware almost forcing you to get your own router.  With the onset of Vista too; it forces some of us to have to upgrade certain equipment in order to get the most out of the OS.  Ive actually been pretty lucky in that all the equip I have hooked up had really good vista updates from the Manufacturer.  I tried to see if thier was a firmware upgrade for my DSL Modem/Router; but Westell wont give upgrades when they make special routers for the ISP. 

I want to try to learn a little more about about Packet Prioritization too as well as the some of the new technology with routers; for speed; etc.  I never went beyond security and simple settings with my Router Setting Software; but I may Delve a little further this time into the Settings.

Edited by Mysty - 08 Mar 2008 at 7:01pm
Rank393 View Drop Down

Quote Rank393 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2008 at 8:13pm
I hooked up the D-link I purchased and it works like a charm even with the bane that is Vista. (knock on wood)
 Post Reply Post Reply