FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geezer looking to buy last computer

Post Date: 2021-05-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teuk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teuk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Geezer looking to buy last computer
    Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:51pm
Budget:

Expectations:
I would like to be able to play current games with some room for future stuff. I pieced together one and would like to know if I am ok with it or if I need to modify it. Many thanks for the help and advice.

Usage:
Play games, most of what I play now are older games due to age of current computer. Its a Digital Storm from 10 years ago. Also stream movies and shows and basic surfing.

Special Needs:
Its a little dusty here and humid but I keep the computer pretty clean.

Saved Ticket #: 3887415

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 12:43am
Welcome back Teuk. Awesome
Your case is a DS exclusive proprietary desgn with the window on the right and mobo installed upside down with the gpu on top in case you were not aware of it.

I do not know AMD so I'll leave the cpu choice to the gurus but everything else seems to hit all the checks.

Be aware that the warranty is only 1 year parts.

Enjoy. Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 4:51am
As it happens, MrCheetah has posted some very direct comparisons between the 3900X you selected, and the newer 5800X below in "Just purchased, but not sure..." If your rig is mostly for gaming, you don't need extra cores, and I would recommend the newer CPU for all the reasons you'll find there.

Other that that, I think you've done a great job with your budget.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:42am
Thanks @Cretae.

@Teuk Feel free to review the previously mentioned info.

I'm not sure if @Cretae would also agree with this, but I suggest going a bit further in your situation.

With gaming as the focus, I recommend changing the CPU to the 5600X.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X review | PC Gamer
Ryzen 5 5600X verdict

The AMD Ryzen 5 5600X is a surprisingly awesome gaming chip. It's not the monster in serious workloads that the more expensive chips are, but then this does only have six cores and 12 threads to play with. It'll still see you fine if you want to dabble in 3D rendering, video encoding, and the like, but if that's your focus, then you're going to have to spend more.

It's definitely in gaming where the Ryzen 5 5600X shines. It's comparable to the Ryzen 9 5900X and Ryzen 7 5800X, but it costs significantly less than either of those, rolling in as it does at $299. This is a chip for anyone that enjoys gaming. It'll trade blows with anything Intel has to offer, and keep your graphics card sated.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X vs. AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Take the savings from the CPU and put them towards upgrading the GPU to a 3070 (that is, unless you just want to pocket the savings).

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti vs. Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070

Actually, overall, that'd still be a tiny bit of savings.
Teuk View Drop Down

Quote Teuk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:13am
Thanks so much for your help, I will be buying in a week or so and this helps me so much. Thanks folks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:35am
I would have no qualms about the 5600X at all, if the savings suits you. I would caution that if you game on a 1080p resolution monitor, the step up to a 3070 would be a waste. The 3060 Ti is a bit overkill at 1080p, but the price difference between that and the 3060 is small enough that the assurance you will not have a bit of trouble at 1080p EVER is worth the $60 IMHO. The difference at 1440p between the two is higher framerates across the board with a 3070, but the 3060 Ti will get the job done with a few game quality tweaks at that res as well. Will run many games up to 100fps+.

Hope it helps, and you are very welcome to any assistance we can give!
Teuk View Drop Down

Quote Teuk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:09pm
I been tinkering with build variations for a couple days now and am really leaning on this build can you guys weigh in on this for me one last time, many many thanks.

Config# 3891908
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:29am
I think it's great!   

If you're good with installing your own storage, (it's really easy), I'd spring the extra $55 for a Samsung 1TB 860 EVO and go all SSD. I know you'd sacrifice a TB of space, but you could get a bigger one when you need it later, and have the advantage of SSD speed for all time. No big thing, but it's a thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply