Post Date: 2021-02-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hartmann View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hartmann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Getting Back into Gaming
    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:41am
I used to play PC games back in the days of the first Medal of Honor game and America's Army. I've slowly fallen out of the scene and have been playing some on the PS4. Friends have encouraged me to get back into the PC world but I really don't have the time to hunt down the parts.

I mostly play FPS type games and will likely do some photo editing on the machine. I am leaning towards a RTX 3080 GPU and a 5900X CPU with 32GB of RAM. I think I'd go for 1080p or 1440 resolution for my gaming over 4K but I am open to suggestions.

I think I'd like a 2TB NVMe drive as my primary for the OS and the game installs and then another SSD for my storage.

What am I missing here? Is there something that I could get for under $3200?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:38am
The parts you're talking about would run $4000+ for very little purpose. The monitor would be another $350-500 or so.

You are missing a lot. There is about a minimum of $650 between what you need to game well at 1440p and 1080p. That's your first decision. 4k is way out of reach and doesn't make sense on a reasonably sized 27-32" monitor. The first decision you have to make is what resolution you want. Up to 27", framerates rule over pixel count for gaming visuals. There are dozens of 24-27" 1080p monitors with high refresh rates up to 165fps for under $200. A 3060 Ti GPU will drive one of those with plenty to spare. A combo like that would save you around $800 at these prices over what you would want on an inexpensive 1440p monitor. With the shortage in GPUs, now is not the time to go big in video.

You don't want or need a giant NVMe drive. What you want is breakneck speed for all you do from your OS and apps, and a good SATA drive for your games to load from. Games will not load all that much faster from a faster drive because they have a particular order and routine they must go through to load properly. The heavy premium you'd pay to get 2TB would be mostly wasted. The compact size of your primary drive allows for easy maintenance and super-speedy scanning.

Doing "some photo editing" will benefit from the extra RAM, which is in the budget. A 5900X is overkill and is not available now.

Here's a build that does what you want for $3054.

3788761      To see it in the Configurator, go to main page, upper right > "Load Config". Copy/paste that #.

If you are dead serious about heavy editing, you could get the 12 core 3900X for about the same price with no loss in gaming performance you would ever notice. The motherboard is better thermals, longevity, and a better choice if you ever need to upgrade your CPU.

32GB RAM

The storage is all you will need for a long while.

The Internal Lighting is free, and you could stretch the budget a tad for the fancy lights. This rig is upgradeable to a 1440p powerhouse any time the price/performance ratio makes sense.
Hartmann View Drop Down

Quote Hartmann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:28pm
Hi Cretae,

I appreciate the response! I currently have a 1440p 27" monitor which I think influenced my desire for the 3080 video card.

I'd really like to get 150 fps on games at relatively high settings, so as long as I can do that with the config you recommended, I think I'd be happy.

Most of my photo editing is in Lightroom which isn't really CPU heavy, just RAM heavy.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:49am
Would have saved me a lot of speculation if you had mentioned the 1440p monitor and why you want it.

You're with the right card for the best performance at 1440p with the 3080. It's got plenty of overhead to spare at the highest settings for all but the worst optimized games. RDR2 is one. You can fix that by turning off multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA). Upgrade to that card and the rest of the build will do what you want it to as is. Hate that the GPUs are so jacked up, but that is the the same everywhere. Is what it is.

Left unmentioned here, the AMD build is a PCIe Generation 4 platform. The Intel CPUs are PCIe 3. The AMD procs are better than Intel at multi-core performance (for editing, for example), and the 5800X will not hold gaming back at all. AMD is currently the better choice.

Hope it helps.
Oldpcgamer View Drop Down

Quote Oldpcgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:11am
If you have a 1440p 144hz monitor you could also think about a 3060 TI. They should handle 1440p gaming, with some tweaking of settings and it will save you a good deal. If you can afford the 3080, then stick to that.

The performance on the 3060 TI will not compare to the 3080, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. Just a thought.

Edited by Oldpcgamer - 03 Mar 2021 at 6:12am
Been playing games since Pong
 Post Reply Post Reply