FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting ready to order my build

Post Date: 2012-07-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Getting ready to order my build
    Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:29pm
Hi everyone,

Warning long post!

I have been doing a bit of catching up as it is been a few years since I had a chance to properly pc game. I am more out of touch with hardware choice etc then I would like to be when finalizing a build so would like some input before I order. I am looking for a desktop that will be a great at gaming for current generation fps, mmo, rts games without breaking the bank. The other uses will be connecting to a HDTV to watch movies (don't have a standalone dvd player) and the generic email/internet stuff. I do need to be able connect to my wireless network (not sure if a pci card vs usb stick makes more sense if I expect to be continuously connected).

Budget is ~1.7-1.8k, I do already have a nice mouse and keyboard, but would need a monitor (was using a laptop as I was traveling a lot before), anything at least 1080p and ideally with built in speakers as my desk area is quite small and I have good quality headphones already.

When I was considering building my own here is what I was looking at:
Samsung 22X DVD Burner
Corsair Carbide Series 300R
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 1080P
ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores FTW 1280MB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Corsair TX750 V2
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
ASUS P8Z77-V LGA
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Total ~$1455-1580

Things like adding a harddrive or swapping out a gpu downstream, I am happy to tackle myself but decided I would prefer to leave the overclocking, thermal paste etc to someone a bit more experienced and have a slick wired tower. I have a feeling overclocking a lower end cpu is better value then plunking down for a higher end one and leaving it stock...agree?

On the Digital Storm Epoch configuration here is what I am looking at (couldn't find exactly the same parts but I think this is pretty close):
Corsair Carbide 300R
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
16GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Performance Series
800W Corsair GS
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black Edition
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Generic DVD Writer 24x
Wireless PCI-E 802.11n
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Stage 1 Overclock CPU
Stage 1 Overclock GPU
OS Cleanup
Hanns-G HANNspree 21.5 inch
Total ~$1796

Where I would specifically like feedback is where I am past or not quite at the peak of the bang for buck curve. For example if I went 20 bucks more on the RAM that would be huge improvement or if I went 80 bucks down on graphics I wouldn't notice the difference, would sli on some lower cards be better than a gtx 680 single etc.

Thank you for time in reading this, and let me know if some more information would help. I am excited to be able to get a higher level system from what looks to be a top level builder!

Oops just saw the template....

Budget:
~1.7-1.8k

Expectations:
Play current generation at high settings

Usage:
Lots of gaming (mostly fps, mmo, and some rts), movie playing via second connection to a 42" 1080 HDTV, usual internet music etc

Special Needs:
Nothing crazy loud but doesn't need to be silent

Saved Ticket #: 705069

Edited by UKCoopeR - 04 Jul 2012 at 5:31pm
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:46pm
I would strongly recommend against buying the monitor from ds you will have a larger/better selection from newegg and lower prices look at the dell u2312m ips monitor
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:51pm
Understood, thanks for the tip!
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 6:33pm
Also ds usually is against oc the graphics card just causes uneccasary stress and heat. You should look at adding a ssd look at the vertex 4 256gb newegg price of 239 is a steal I think the 120gb model goes for 130 or less
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:33am
Hi UKCoopeR... For your budget I would suggest checking out the ODE lvl 1 or lvl 2.  They are great systems for the money and the 600T case is much better than the 300R in keeping the components cool and safe.  The 300R only has a single 120mm fan feeding air to the parts.  The ODE 600T has a 200mm fan in front and a 200mm fan on top to good airflow.
If you keep your build i would at least change the case to the 550D under the Black Ops section or the 500R in this section as an example.

Good Luck.Big%20Smile
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 4:33am
bpratt is right. The ODE line is great for the price.

If you didn't want to go with that, however, I would recommend your second build, but without the GPU overclocking and the OS tweaks. As far as hard drives are concerned, that is one of the fastest HDDs on the market, and as far as price relative to performance goes, you cannot beat the caviar black. You should probably skip the monitor, and you probably only need to go with 8GB of RAM for gaming purposes.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 5:38am
The ODE stage 1 looks like everything I was looking at anyway aside from HD, RAM, and wireless and a great price point.... The main reason I was playing around with the Epoch was the ability to change things in the configuration screen, but after looking at some other threads on this forum it looks like I could get whatever options anyway if I ask them, which is cool… Didn't know about the colder running case either, thanks!

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the gpu overclocking, I saw free and higher performance and said why not, now I know... Same with the OS tweaks.

The main reason I was looking at 16GB ram is because in the past I had done some cost savings there and it quickly became the next bottle neck but that was a lot of years ago and I don't know if that is true anymore… none of them ever had heat sinks either ha-ha I was quite startled when I first started my research as my knowledge is quite out of date. I suppose if the motherboard supports it, I could always swap in more ram in a couple years if that makes the most sense bang for buck wise?

So I am leaning towards the ODE stage 1 with the Caviar Black HD instead of the standard and a wireless internet card/usb (any thoughts on a card vs. usb?... didn't even know usb solutions existed till last week lol) which should add something like 150 to the 1.5k price (basing that on how much it added in the epoch configuration) leaving me ~200 for a monitor.

Anything else I am missing? I want to order yesterday ha-ha but also want to be sure I am getting the right one for me.

Love the embrace the noobs community on the board thanks for your time!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:10am
My older pc has a D-LInk Wireless N 150 USB Adapter, DWA 125,  that for the web is as fast as my hard wire.  Can't vouch for on- line gaming as i use my DS with hardwire for that.   $20 I think on Amazon.

It plugs into a USB and has a cradle to hold the dongle instead of hanging off the usb port.  This way you don't have to open the case at all. 

Others can probably give you great advice on pci cards. 

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jul 2012 at 6:12am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:26am
Here's another config to check out.  It has the 1TB Balck caviar HDD, wireless card and a nice case for cooling and better psu with 5 year warranty..

Config # 705194     Cost $1660

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide 500R (Black Finish)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Corsair A50 120mm Fan High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

AND...your free t-shirt.Big%20Smile

You mentioned a monitor....The Dell UltraSharp U 2312HM is great and is on sale right now for $239.  Just a thought...

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jul 2012 at 6:42am
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:00am
Yeah, I think that is the same monitor tju76 and a couple of review sites pointed me too when I was looking around yesterday, will order when I get home from work! argh I should have ordered yesterday the discounted price is 249.99 today, hopefully the 10% DS discount sticks around…. or that could wreck my budget.

That config does look appetizing…. Sorry to keep coming back to it, but are any of the ram upgrades worth it? I don't mind going a few bucks over budget if it will increase the time between computer upgrades. Will games start needing 16GB or 2000MHz ram soon, or is the mobo more limiting for me? Correct me if I am wrong but the higher power psu should allow for more flexibility on upgrades in a year or 2 like a new graphics card compared to the ODE. How would you compare the cooling power of the corsair 500 vs. the graphite 600t of the ODE?

In comparing them, which area would I experience a bottle neck first? My plan would be to keep this computer through a couple of piecemeal upgrades like a gpu or ram update without having to trash it and start from scratch because the other pieces aren't compatible with the next level. I think your suggestion might have a bit more staying power???

So many choices!!!!

Edited by UKCoopeR - 05 Jul 2012 at 10:01am
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:09am
nvm on the monitor price, found a place that has them at 229.99
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:16am
Right now 8GB of ram is all you need.  I'd be surprised if within a few years that changes but can't say for sure.  The extra ram to 16GB is cheap, $51,  so it certainly wouldn't hurt and might help if you open multiple apps at once.  For speed, the 1600Mhz is all you need. The faster speed you'll never see and the faster speed can interfere with overclocking.
The 800w psu does give you more headroom for the future.  The ODE and this config I showed you do not allow for sli, 2x gpu in the future.  For my build you'd have to change to a little more expensive motherboard like the Sabertooth.

The 500R and 600T case would have very similar cooling.  The 600t has a front and top 200mm  fans and a 140 mm back fan and the 500R has 2, 120mm fans in the front, a back fan and a side panel 200mm fan that blows directly on the video card and mobo.  About the same I would think.

The bottleneck in a year or two is usually with the graphics card.  That is easy to replace and gives longevity in gaming.  The mobo and cpu usually last through a couple of card changes.  The rule of thumb is usually that a video card every two years and a new pc every 4-5 years.  But who knows with changing technology and games in the future. 

The advantage of this custom config over the ODE lvl 1 is the psu, you get the HDD and wifi card you want and you can pick any other part you want until you order.  The ODE is a great deal for the price but you are locked in to the prebuilt parts, unless you ask them to change or add a part and then they charge the difference in price of the part plus $50 a change for their  xtra work.

Lots of ways to go.

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jul 2012 at 10:38am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:32am
If by chance your build starts approaching the $2000 mark and that can happen real quick, look at the Dreadnought level 2.  It has the 800w psu, better cpu, the best air cooled case, the HafX , and the mobo allows another gtx670 to be added to it in sli when the time comes for a big boost in gaming.  The Z77 Deluxe mobo, another option,  has built in Wifi, no extra card needed, but is another $48,  I think.

Not trying to spend your money Big%20Smile just showing you a couple of options.

Good luck and tough decisions I know.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jul 2012 at 10:40am
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 11:31am
Interesting information on the ram speed, had no idea. The majority of my knowledge is from the days when the radeon 9700 was king hence the expectation that ram is vital, but I know stuff changes a lot in electronics hence the oringinal post.

I am not super worried at no sli support as from what I have read (on this forum but can't find the link) seems to suggest that sli-ing two 560s won't neccesarily beat a single 580, so I could swap my single 670 out for a single 870 or whatever is the latest is in a couple years and that in theory would beat a 2x670…. I know I am bascially guessing here and the post was from 2010...

Rule of thumb looks like exactly what my budget can take :D

Thanks for the heads up on the $50 swaping fee, makes sense, and that pushes me towards the custom build. As much as I would love to go to 2k, I orginally started even lower than what I said in the first post (me building one with stock cooler and no overclocking) and need to stop the price creep somewhere haha, 50 for more ram is easier to swallow then a 300 dollar jump lol, even though it does get you a lot I can't really justify it right now, maybe after a couple more promotions when I am looking for my next rig.

Now to decide between the black/white finish….
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:52pm
Couldn't stand it anymore and ordered!!!!

Dell U2312HM on the way, should arrive monday

Build is bascially as suggested by bprat22, with two changes 16GB ram (at only $50 seemed like a good deal) and Cooler Master Hyper 212 (took a thermodynamics class back in the day and as a result like the flat heat pipes and no air pockets for only $7)

Ticket:705361

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!!!

I am super pumped once I have a estimated arrival date I might have to ask for that day and the next couple off or buy a bunch of energy so I can game all night and still make it to work hahahahaha
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 3:56pm
Congrats on a real nice rig.     Keep us updated.      
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:24pm
Payment processed, stage 1 complete!

Can't wait to get rid of the laptop that overheats after 1 hour of gaming haha

looks like i have a verified customer tag now too!
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 7:33pm
Coop!  Welcome to the DS verified customer community.

Don't forget to take pics and review!
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:35am
Thanks, will do!

Just checked back and last time I built a gaming machine it was a PowerColor EVIL COMMANDO 2 Radeon 9700PRO 128MB (still the best name I have heard for a gpu lol) with 2GB of ram running windows 2000 sometime in the early 2000s hahaha. Been making do with playing last generation games on budget gpus for quite a while. The one this will be replacing is an off the shelf laptop that would over heat and shutoff after 1 hour of star trek online (despite me adding more cooling), just about manage half life 2, barely run the newer need for speeds (not at an enjoyable fps though) and batman arkham city at low settings.

I know the stress testing etc is one of the reasons I went with digital storm but doesn't make the waiting any easier! At least I can have this going on loop to keep me pumped up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9jK-NcRmVcw#!

Edited by UKCoopeR - 06 Jul 2012 at 10:36am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by UKCoopeR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9jK-NcRmVcw#!

Oh. Hell. No.
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 12:39pm
Haha

P.S. Just got the stage 2 and 3 emails!!!!

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:02am
Stage 4 Email arrived!!!

Keep in mind when I review this I will be comparing it to a ati radeon hd3200 with 2gbs of ram and a amd turion x2 laptop
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:06am
Getting closer every day.  Awesome
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:43am
Stage 5
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:36am
Stage 6 Woot Woot!!!!
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 5:21pm
Looking forward to the review and pics.  Big%20Smile
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 7:46pm
Monitor arrived today, nothing to plug it into yet though
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 6:27am
Stage 7 last night!!!

Should be shipping today, as i am all the way on the east coast that might take a while, dare i hope for next weekend?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 7:33am
For me, 5 business days shipping, to  New England. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Jul 2012 at 9:26am
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 6:30am
In transit with expected delivery of july 19th, cant wait!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 6:34am
Sounds like a call-in-sick day to meLOL

xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 8:35am
.. a call in sick week.
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 5:11pm
haha i will try an wrangle a telecommuting day for friday

thursday will be a nice energy drink and install party and maybe move the hard-drive from my dead computer from the external it is currently in into on the free bays on the new rig
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 6:47pm
the shipping estimate by fedex got moved back to friday

looks like the storms or something slowed down the trucks as it is still a few states away
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 8:41pm
Weather has been crazy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>