FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going from Windows XP to 7 Home Prem.

Post Date: 2010-04-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jp619 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jp619 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Going from Windows XP to 7 Home Prem.
    Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:01pm
I have an XP machine that I want to install windows 7 on. I am new to this, and I have the guid that I found on these forums.

http://windows7homepremium.windowsreinstall.com/windows7installguides/indexfullpage.htm

How do I uninstall windows XP? or do I just install windows 7 and it will override XP?
Thanks for the help.
Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:08pm

You can overwrite but the best install is a clean install.  Store all your personal files or files you want to keep on another drive or back them up to some discs or whatever means you have available.  Once you have everything you want off the drive (not including apps, you'll have to reinstall those) then format the hard drive, boot to the win7 disk and follow the directions. 

jp619 View Drop Down

Quote jp619 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:12pm
Yes i want to do a clean install, I am not saving anything :P
Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:19pm
then just format the drive, boot to the windows 7 disk and be done with it

this is a decent walkthrough..  There are other ways of doing this but this might be easiest for you: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Format-Hard-Drive-and-Install-Windows-Operating-System

Edited by Exsidium - 06 Apr 2010 at 7:41pm
jp619 View Drop Down

Quote jp619 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:30pm
Thank you

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 9:33pm
How I upgraded

1. Download Windows Easy Transfer for XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2B6F1631-973A-45C7-A4EC-4928FA173266&displaylang=en

2. Use Windows Easy Transfer to store all settings and files to another HDD.

3. EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED - Use free disk imaging program (I used macrium reflect) to create system disk image and recovery disk. Save disk image on external HDD.

4. Shut down computer.

5. Boot up computer. Insert Windows 7 disk BEFORE Windows starts up.

6. Wait for Windows 7 disk to boot. If Windows XP boots, check BIOS to make sure CD-Drive is before the HDD in Boot List.

7. Follow instructions. Make sure to direct the installer to overwrite on the disk you have XP on and to save your old files for you.

8. Allow to sit until installation is done (~20 minutes)

9. When reboot occurs, do not boot from CD. Windows 7 is seriously installed right now. All your old files have been moved to a folder Windows.old in case you screwed up and forgot something, panicking all the way until this step.

10. Boot up. Sign into your account.

10. Search for Windows Easy Transfer. (Go to the start button/windows icon, go to the search field, type Windows Easy Transfer, click on it)

11. Next -> An external hard disk or USB flash drive -> This is my new computer -> Yes -> Locate your external HDD and double click the easy transfer file you made earlier -> Follow instructions

12. File still didn't transfer? Hunt around Windows.old in C: to find any leftover files you're missing.

13. Be happy.

14. WAIT 3 MONTHS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THIS STEP. TRUST ME.
Got all your files? Are you happy with Windows 7? Delete Windows.old. It's just taking up empty space now with copies of your old files. All those files should already be in your computer by now.

Troubleshooting - Screwed up? Windows didn't install? If you took the time to make your recovery disk, use that to re-image your HDD. Your familiar old Windows XP system should be restored as if you never started.

Edited by ablahblah - 06 Apr 2010 at 9:34pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply