FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going to get a DSO build, 1800-2500$ budget

Post Date: 2013-01-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex06 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Going to get a DSO build, 1800-2500$ budget
    Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 8:02am
Hi, I've been thinking for a few months to get a new gaming PC, and found out about Digital Storm through a GameInformer magazine issue. I was otherwise going to get an Alienware (I wasn't very adamant on doing so, though, mainly because it costs too much and you don't get what you need or deserve for the price) or assemble my own PC. Turns out DSO is perfect for me.
I'm also shipping to a suburb near Montreal in Quebec, Canada, named Repentigny. My postal code is J5Y 1P6. I'm wondering, what do I do with the shipping? I'm assuming it will cost me in taxes, right? How much?

I'm also wondering if all my choices are compatible with each other or if I've picked pieces that will conflict with each other.

Budget: 1800-2500$

Expectations/Usage: I want to be able to run games at "graphical max" (No fancy 8xAA or anything else of the sort, just want the game to look at its graphical best and have good FPS), have a PC that will last for 4-5 years and can run games in 5 years still averagely well, even if they will not be maxed out. I want to have a motherboard that will last as long as possible so I can keep upgrading the PC and keep my current install of Windows.
I want to avoid noise and dust, but not with anything that might damage my PC, prevent fans from working properly, and what not. If liquid cooling or any form of cooling I have chosen is at the detriment of the computer, I will gladly let go of it and take a noisier PC. I want to prevent overheating of components, so again, if any noise-reduction choice I have picked goes against that, I will let go of it.
I don't want to pay for anything that is too fancy and unnecessary. I want to play games like Crysis 3 and Command & Conquer (The upcoming game that uses Frostbite 2 engine) on graphical maximum (AKA "high") with reasonable FPS and play StarCraft II on max with a smooth FPS rate.
I don't watch blu-ray films on my PC, do 3D modeling or use GPU or CPU intensive programs other than Photoshop (and I don't think we could classify what I do with it as "graphically intensive").
I don't want nor plan on ever using 3D (It's bad for the eyes, makes my head dizzy and it distracts me).
I want to browse the internet and not have issues with 1080p videos on the website. I'd like to be able to open several tabs on youtube with 1080p/720p (3-4 perhaps?) videos and photoshop at the same time and have it run smoothly.
If it's possible to go lower without sacrificing RAM or GPU or getting a cheaper motherboard, that would be nice.

Special Needs: I plan on taking an old 1TB HDD from this current PC and using it as my secondary drive, alongside another 1TB HDD that I would buy.
I'm not interested in achieving highest overclocks, or even to overclock anything for that matter (other than factory-overclocked GPUs). I want to lower noise and dust accumulation unless doing so is detrimental to the components of the computer and their durability.

So if I can save some money and get what I want, do tell me, I'd love that. :D

Ticket Number: 768059
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,174.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible) <b></b>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (PhysX) (FTW Overclocked EVGA) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by Alex06 - 09 Jan 2013 at 8:03am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 8:27am
Hi Alex06....  Welcome to the forums.

That build is pretty darn good as-is.  Nothing wasted and all working great together.

If you want to save a few $$$, then here's a config a bit different.  The same case, etc, but I went with the Z77 platform to drop the motherboard to the Z77 LX.  Can't sli with the LX mobo but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you, I believe.  For what you mentioned, light Photoshop, no modeling, etc, the Z77's dual channel memory mobo is all you need.  The X79 you picked is nice but you might not need the quad channel ram's higher bandwidth and save $$  there.  The Sabertooth mobo, eithe X79 or Z77 however is a better board, better components and a 5 year warranty as oppoed to 3 years with the others.

Config # 773337       Cost $ 1995

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I couldn't put in the 670FTW because its out of stock I believe but the gtx 670 is fine either way. 

Crysis and other shooters can be demanding, but if High settings are good for you, and I agree, then the single card with a 23" monitor at 1920x1080 will play great.  For maxed out everything a sli, 2x gtx 670 would be needed, like the ODE level 4 for example.

Video cards are usually good for about 2-3 years if you want decent frames, but the future is a big unknown.

I like your build better than mine, but this is just to show you a cheaper way to go if needed and still ahve a real nice rig.

Hope this helps and good Luck. 

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Jan 2013 at 8:28am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 8:33am
Welcome to the forums, as Bprat said that is a pretty good build.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
BShizzleUniBrizzle View Drop Down

Quote BShizzleUniBrizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:13am
Welcome to the forums friend. You find alot alot of good people here to help as I did. That rig looks great, good luck! Hope your excited!
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz/4.5GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
3TB SATA
2x SLI GTX 680 4GB
Win 7 Pro x64
Alex06 View Drop Down

Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 12:13pm
Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on my DSO PC! I'll check to see if bprat22's build is fine for my needs or if the additional 280$ is worth.

Anyone know about the shipping, though?

Edited by Alex06 - 09 Jan 2013 at 12:13pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 12:22pm
Best thing to do for shipping cost is email DS with your config # and your International address.      They'll get back to you with the cost.

Good luck.
Alex06 View Drop Down

Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 8:40pm
Duty and Tax Estimate  260.88 USD 
Freight/Transportation 204.28 USD 
Insurance    81.00 USD 
Brokerage    89.00 USD
Entry Fee    49.98 USD
Customs Value of Goods  2174.00 USD 

Landed Cost Estimate  2859.14 USD

It certainly isn't cheap. Any way to lower this? Duty and taxes are unavoidable, but what of the rest?

Digital Storm seems to be the best fit for what I'm looking for, so if there's any way I could lower the shipping price, I'd like to know. Otherwise, I will just wait, assemble my own PC or get a cheaper one from DSO. :/

Edited by Alex06 - 10 Jan 2013 at 8:41pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:54am
From other posts, International shipping is $$$.    I think DS's hands are tied with this.     

Can I suggest the ODE level 1 ?      It's $1499 and will give you the same performance as your build or my alternate build for alot less..   I have an ODE 600t case and love it.       The 3570k cpu and 8GB of ram is all gaming needs.   

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Jan 2013 at 3:58am
BShizzleUniBrizzle View Drop Down

Quote BShizzleUniBrizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:29am
Originally posted by bprat22

International shipping is $$$.

I agree. I don't think there is much you can do about that at all. I work for a winery and I ship alot of expensive, heavy, and sometimes not so heavy material over seas on a regular basis. I'm talkin Canada, Vietnam, Japan...etc and it can get quite expensive. If your really pressed for money I would deff look into what bprat22 suggested. Sorry I couldn't give a more rewarding answer. Good luck!
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz/4.5GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
3TB SATA
2x SLI GTX 680 4GB
Win 7 Pro x64
Alex06 View Drop Down

Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 7:24am
I guess I'll take a look at ODE Level 1, might still get the build I posted up there or bprat's original suggestion, though.

Final question I have is, if I ship to Canada, how will all the additional shipping fees be paid? Will I pay them directly when the PC shows up at my doorstep, or will it be taken off my credit card when I order the computer?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:52am
I believe its all up front, no COD.  But, DS will have to answer for sure.

Let us know how it goes.  Big%20Smile
Alex06 View Drop Down

Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:52pm
I e-mailed DS, only got the answer for how much it cost. Time to send another e-mail!
Alex06 View Drop Down

Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:15pm
So, I finally got around to buying it, switched to 8GB of RAM instead of 16, and took the non-OC'd GTX 670 2GB. All for a total of $2,045.00! I saved the 10% (233$) and they gave me an additional 50$ off, not to mention I saved 29$ by getting the standard 2 gig GTX 670 and another 50$ from getting 8GB of RAM instead of 16. 362$ saved off the original retail price and I have to say, I'm happy with my purchase. S&H was 134.71$, for a total of 2,179.71$. Not bad!

Edited by Alex06 - 31 Jan 2013 at 4:16pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:31pm
Congrats.   

SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:52pm
Nice man!!! Awesome 
tdtnsp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tdtnsp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:43pm
Now the hard part is waiting... Congrats!
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 4:54am
Congrats. Cool  Welcome to the DS family.  Post pics if you can as we all love to see pics of new rigs. Big%20Smile
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:15pm
Congrats on the new build!   
Alex06 View Drop Down

Quote Alex06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 6:24pm
Hi again. I'm thinking about cancelling my order.

While they are charging me more (I was perfectly aware that was going to happen, I knew that paying taxes was normal), now they're asking me to sign a credit card authorization fee, have me scan a State ID (We have a different thing in Canada) and fax it all to them. Since my dad lent me his credit card for this because mine's limit is lower, this is too much trouble for me and both me and my dad aren't comfortable with all that extra work and the information we have to share, especially since we've found a better way to get the almost the exact same PC for less. (around 1700-1800$)

I was also confused as to why we needed to complete the authorization form and it couldn't have been charged exactly when Fedex delivered the package to my house or why it couldn't simply be charged up front when my order was completed (when I checked out from the website, basically. This was what I actually understood would happen! I guess I should've asked for details.), especially since I could select shipping to Canada. The extra 670$, having to scan and send in personal identity pieces which aren't even my own (since my dad paid with his credit card after I gave him the money), not to mention the delay in shipping this is causing and the fact I might be able to save 250-350 more bucks, I might just have to cancel the order. Additionally, seeing as how this estimate they sent me is just an estimate, I'm expecting that Fedex might just charge me some more when they deliver the package to my door. (Had a bad experience where we were asked 200$ for a simple SD card when they delivered it)

Unfortunately, I'm not going to buy another PC from DSO right now, seeing as how the price has gone back up (no more extra money off :/). Maybe in a few years, when I get my next PC or laptop, if the process of shipping to another country becomes far less complicated.

Though I suppose I can thank everyone because I know what parts to get to build my PC. I'm sorry, but this is just way too much of a hassle for me, it's not even partially efficient for me to get a PC from DSO at this point, even if it comes already assembled and with Windows installed, since the shipping will take more than 2 weeks, and by then I'm pretty confident I can buy all the pieces and assemble it.

Edited by Alex06 - 02 Feb 2013 at 6:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply