FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good Flight Sim Build?

Post Date: 2023-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BF3Addict View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BF3Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Good Flight Sim Build?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:23am
I've been away from flight sims for a while now, but recently my interest was rekindled because a good friend of mine got hired by United as a 737 FO.  My last computer was a DS from 2018, so I'm sure it's at best barely adequate for running MSFS2020 or equivalent.

This will drive a triple monitor setup (27-32 in) and I'm interested in running reasonably high definition settings for the scenery.  Do these sims generally require both a high end GPU and CPU?

I have all peripherals already, I just need the box.  I was considering the Lumos with i9-13900K and RTX 4070Ti.  Too much or good enough?

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:41am
Flight sims are a real specialty use, and have been calling for some strong horespower for the most recent releases. I don't know that much about them, and if I did, I probably would not be real picky about how detailed or far away the images would be. Best recommendation is you look into what the community is saying and why these days. THB, IDK about the CPU power you want, and the newest GPU class is a quantum leap beyond anything. These changes at least give you choices to suit you. For normal gaming, the hybrid Intels are far stronger than before so that an i5 13600KF is a killer deal, but may not be best for flight sims. Likewise you should see what the recommendations are for multi- monitor performance. From what I hear, if it runs MSFS, it'll handle everything else.

We do have a few flight sim folks around here, but they may not show up all that often. Look at some enthusiast sites, and I'm they'll talk your language and be up on the latest performance recommendations. Sorry I don't know more. Good luck.
Jordak24 View Drop Down

Quote Jordak24 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 11:34am
I can add a few things maybe. I have been using MSFS2020 for 2 yrs. now with the i7-9700k CPU. 2 monitors-Main monitor is for the Sim only is a 2560x1440 the other is 1920x1080. I only use the second monitor for other programs while using the sim like little Nav Map or viewing a you tube live stream. I have my graphic settings in the sim on high but could change to ultra (just don't notice that much dif between the 2 setting). The newer i7-13700KF would serve you well unless maybe planning on VR then stay with the i9-13900K. I use a 3060Ti with no problems But if had a choice would go with   the 4070Ti as you have. You will need 32 gig ram and at least 1TB hard drive just for the sim alone, Samsung 970 evo Plus is what have. Just a few things that may help you some.

Edited by Jordak24 - 25 Feb 2023 at 11:58am
ApC
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 1:13pm
I bought a new DS rig in 2020 awaiting the release of MS Flight Simulator 2020. I have a 10850 CPU and an Asus Tuff Gaming RTX 3080 along with 32 Gigs of Ram.

Downloaded the game and all I got was constant stutters and crashes. After a couple of days of that, I uninstalled it and re-installed MS FSX.

I don't know if they have fixed it or not, I certainly hope so, but another factor that turned me off was there was no real external cockpit view as in all the previous iterations of MS Flight Sim. There are workarounds I hear, but I don't care for workarounds.

Flight Sims are notoriously hard on a PC. I looked at "Recommended Specs." for the latest MS 2020, and all I will say is that is a joke. You better have something a lot more powerful than that.

Like was mentioned earlier by Cretae, you need to do a lot of reading and see what others setups are and the performance they are getting. Then base your build on that.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 25 Feb 2023 at 1:15pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:39pm
You don't mention monitor/display resolution or budget but...

If you have the budget, a 13900K and RTX 4090 would not go to waste on MSFS 2020. However, if you do need to trim budget, I'd suggest stepping down CPU vs. GPU.

Intel i5-13600K vs i7-13700K vs i9-13900K // Test in 9 Games | Benchmarks for Gamers (YouTube)

Trust me, you want to be able to enable as much of the pretty as possible:

The RTX 4090 Changes EVERYTHING in Microsoft Flight Simulator | Chewwy94

1% low FPS and frame rate consistency is what you'll want to worry about. You don't need high FPS as the motion is not fast-paced. A solid 30+ FPS is sufficient.

As an anecdote, my RTX 3080 did well at holding a fairly consistent 60 FPS average at 1080p/FHD, Ultra.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Costone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Costone Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:46am
Great advice here by all..

I'm an avid flight sim enthusiast running MSFS2020 as well as DCS, Prepar3D and X-Plane 12.

Waiting on delivery of a new Velox X built designed exclusively for sims and VDC modeling on a 49" Ultrawide 3K flanked by dual 24"s. Using Saitek HOTAS and pedals and planning to add VelocityOne Flight UCS shortly before the rig lands.

Things will get exciting in here pretty soon... Stay tuned!
Velox X | ASUS Prime X670-P | AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | 64GB DDR5 5200 | 2TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | RTX 4070 Ti | 850W PSU

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply