FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good to go?

Post Date: 2022-01-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andy38340 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andy38340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Good to go?
    Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:08pm
Budget:<$2500

Expectations: To play on highest settings at 1080p for a while.

Usage: Gaming only

Here are my questions. 1 and 2 have been answered.

1. Is the dual fan liquid cpu cooler overkill?    Edit. Going for the liquid cooler.

2. Are the DS performance rgb chassis fans listed the ones that would go in the top of the case? The Lynx is listed as coming with 3 rgb front and one rear.

3. Since I’m under budget, should I go for the 980 Pro 1TB? I’ve had my current DS system for over 10 years and have yet to fill a 1TB drive halfway. I’m capable of adding another ssd if I run out of room.    Edit. Going for the 980Pro.

I’ve read quite a bit and I feel the I5-12600k and the 3060ti should be a pretty solid combo for a while.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Saved Ticket #: 4276656

Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,186.00

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5-12600K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 GHz (Alder Lake) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR4)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Control Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)

Edited by andy38340 - 27 Jan 2022 at 11:36am
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:35pm
I think the dual fan cooler is a good choice. That seems to be the standard all-in-one cooler that many people choose.

And I would go ahead and upgrade to the Samsung 980 Pro. It's so fast you'll be shocked!
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:43pm
+1

Welcome to DS.

The configurator gurus will be around and give their opinion on the hardware and how it will function on a 1080p monitor.
Enjoy.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 4:07am
That build will KILL at 1080p for years. Do yourself a favor, and get the 500GB 980 PRO for your "C" drive. It is really a huge step up from the DS NVMe:

DS read/write speed: 2100MB/second read, 1600MB/s write

980 Pro: 6900MB/s read, 5000MB/s write

If that appeals to you, splurge!

To round out storage for a large games library, you would be quite happy with the DS 1TB NVMe at Storage Set 2, if budget allows. Remember, newer games are quite a bit larger than we're used to.

I also endorse the dual fan cooler. The new design with a dual set of processors that handle slightly different tasks calls for the better cooling option.

As I re-configure for those items, it puts you at $2345, and... no regrets.    
andy38340 View Drop Down

Quote andy38340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 4:54am
Y’all are great.

The 980 is going to be in there! Question though. if I add a second drive, can you run games off it or will it just be for storage?

Lastly, do the e-cores count as cores a game could use if needed?

Since I’m still going to be under budget, will I benefit from upgrading to the i7-12700? Best I can tell no games out now will use more than 6 cores, but who’s to say what might come out next year.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 7:24am
Originally posted by andy38340

Since I’m still going to be under budget, will I benefit from upgrading to the i7-12700? Best I can tell no games out now will use more than 6 cores, but who’s to say what might come out next year.

From what I have read, games have been able to utilize up to eight cores, though I never found a source (i.e., developer or publisher) to absolutely confirm.

Intel Core i7-12700K & 12700KF CPU Review, Benchmarks, & Efficiency | Gamers Nexus (YouTube)

One thing Intel benchmark tests (even Gamers Nexus, who is quite in-depth) do not highlight enough is that not only do the higher-end model CPUs have more cores (typically) but higher Turbos. Actually, the 11700K and 11900K are good examples. They have the same number of cores. However, because of the better Turbo capability, the 11900K was indeed the chart topper at its time. Basically, a CPU with more cores may not necessarily be benefiting from the additional cores.

Lastly, do the e-cores count as cores a game could use if needed?

Technically possible though probably would not, Furthermore, I do not believe any game (engine) is yet optimized for the hybrid architecture and likely not soon.

Generally, P-cores are used for foreground tasks whereas background tasks get shifted to the E-cores. Those tasks do not need to be small/light. For example, if you were to start a video conversion in Handbrake then move onto browsing the Web, the thread scheduler should move the conversion (assuming it is CPU handled and not GPU or other hardware) workload to the E-cores, allowing the P-cores to handle the Web browsing stuff.

Edited by MrCheetah - 27 Jan 2022 at 7:28am
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 7:28am

Y’all are great.

The 980 is going to be in there! Question though. if I add a second drive, can you run games off it or will it just be for storage?

You can run games off of any storage you have.

I have three drives in my DS Velox. NVMe as primary (C drive)for OS, apps AND 1 or two games. I have a second NVMe (D drive) with games on it.
Third drive (E drive)is an SSD and I use that drive as storage for music, pictures, videos, odds and ends AND games.

Feel free to install your games on any drive you have, but as Cretae and others have mentioned, I too like to keep my C drive (OS drive) as clean as possible, but the room is there if needed. Best of luck and welcome.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 28 Jan 2022 at 7:30am
Old Gamers Never Die!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 9:47am
I use a 500GB 980 PRO for OS & Daily Games and a 1TB 970 EVO PLUS for my gaming library.

The 980 PRO is Lightning fast and the 970 EVO PLUS is blazingly fast enough for games.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 3:22am
My friends have answered your added storage question quite nicely.     

As for your question about the 12700K,if it won't cause you any pain in the wallet, I would get it, just so you know you have another of the best parts you can get right now. Strictly speaking, it's probably not going to be very noticeable, but knowing you have all you can afford to get can ease your mind about such a momentous purchase.   
andy38340 View Drop Down

Quote andy38340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 2:23pm
Thanks everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply