FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Google chrome problem and freezing

Post Date: 2011-01-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mr. View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Google chrome problem and freezing
    Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 10:40am
I know that there are multiple chrome.exe's when you open multiple tabs but sometimes after i open so much and i close everything down there are still multiple chrome.exe's in my processes and their all 100k. Not only that when i reopen chrome sometimes, its white and i cant go online on chrome at all but i can using other browsers, i tried to search up online but no results that matches my problems.

Another thing is my computer randomly freezes for a minute or 2 and then goes back to normal at random times maybe two or three times a week.
Mr.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:27pm
Chrome sucks drop it, unless you paid good money for ram on behalf of google.

its the dumbest idea I have ever heard, each tab is basically an app, so having 6 tabs open in chrome is like having 6 apps running at the same time, eating up ram and resources. Its a huge joke, either use opera or ff, I like opera myself cause I can customize the heck out of it, but many like firefox, its a matter of preference, both are good.
Oni-Tenshi View Drop Down

Quote Oni-Tenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:35pm
DST, how exactly are you supposed to use Opera? XD
I have it on my Mac atm, but it seems to be..... malfunctioning, or something.
ablahblah:
out of curiosity, what grip do you guys use? oddly enough I can use a palm grip pretty well even in the tiny space I have lol.
justin.kerr:
we still talking about mice here?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:03pm
chrome works fine, if you are having problems like that MR its probably either corrupt or a different stability or OS problem
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 12:59am
lol not too many people call running an app that acts like 10 apps are running, working fine, other browsers are working fine, that means nothing wrong with OS, something very wrong with chrome.

it has nothing to do with your os, most likely a bug with chrome, or conflict of chrome with another app, or chrome itself has got some corruption.

@Oni-Tenshi, on mac platform I don't know how it is, same with linux, but on pc, its fantastic, I can customize it anyway I want, but like I said firefox is good too but in my list opera is number one and firefox number 2, chrome I wouldn't even recommend to my enemy, unless I wanted to lockup most of his ram, lol

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Jan 2011 at 12:59am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:08am
Oni-Tenshi,

Which version of Opera are you trying to run?

Quote Oni-Tenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:26am
I was running an old version. I've upgraded it, and it's working fine.
ablahblah:
out of curiosity, what grip do you guys use? oddly enough I can use a palm grip pretty well even in the tiny space I have lol.
justin.kerr:
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:34pm
If you need any help with that let me know
e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 8:14pm
Now DST we all know you love Opera. But Chrome is better. Opera takes more memory than chrome, I have tested all these browsers for speed and Chrome wins by a long shot. I bet you have not even used Chrome in a long time. For me I like Chrome then Opera and last is Firefox.

What customizations are you doing? Chrome has a lot of extensions these days.

Hope you are doing well.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:09am
chrome with no extensions uses much more memory. and I dont' need any extensions for opera, which is why I love opera, its fast, can do a lot and uses less resources, thats why I like opera.

there is nothing chrome does better.

opera with 40 tabs open using 444,000k memory:

Click above image to enlarge

chrome with 8 tabs open = 210,000K memory use:

Click above image to enlarge

its easy to do the math and see that with 8 tab chrome is using half of what opera is using with 40 tabs open, now imagine what would happen if I open 40 tabs in chrome.

trust me what you can do with opera you can't do with chrome, but just for kicks, what extension do I use to copy a ticket number here and send it straight to DS load ticket page?

I'm not gonna sit here and argue which is best, thats user's preference, but chrome is by far the worst if for nothing else, then the amount of memory it uses, you are using any where from 15000k to 40000k per tab, thats crazy.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jan 2011 at 12:23am
e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:04am
No need to argue. I am stating that I like Chrome better than Opera for many reason, and people who use this forum should hear from people who like it. And who opens 40 tabs at once, you maybe but no one else. You have your opinion and I have mine but I think Chrome is better and a much faster browser than Opera.

I would give opera to people I don't like.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:27am
thats funny cause I would give chrome to people I don't like, cause it will eatup their resources in the background.

not arguing just providing info.

browser is a matter of preference, so if one likes chrome then one likes chrome.

that however has got nothing to do wiht how much ram chrome easts and the fact that its stupid to have 8 tabs open but use as much resources as 11 apps, and much more then other browsers.

here is opera with 10 tabs and chrome with 6 tabs:

I mean that is just nuts, I didn't pay good money for my ram so google can use it, if google wants me to use their browser then they can pay for my ram, otherwise I have no reason dedicate so much ram to one app, when other browsers don't need anywhere near as much.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jan 2011 at 6:48am
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:33am
No Firefox love guys? Currently I have 13 taps open, many addons running, and only at 182k memory usage. Keep in mind memory usage will steady go up the longer you've been surfing if your browser holds onto your browsing history and caches stuff.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:48am
I dont' use cache and history and stuff, no need IMO, you can set opera to open to what you had opened before, but I don't keep disk/memory cache and history, those should be off IMO.

but my opera is always open so the usage you see is it being open for days or at least one day.

FF is good too, I use both but because I can customize opera so much, its my number one choice, but I did tell Mr. to use opera or firefox, they are both much better then an app that acts like 10 apps are running when you use it.

but at the end again, its about what you like to use, if you like to use an app like chrome that eats so much resources, then thats between you/your pc/your ram/and the back account that paid for that ram

tho I have to say my mem usage does go up with ff not with opera.

AT the end to each his own

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jan 2011 at 3:54am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:01am

with most of my work stuff  I can only use IE, so that is all I run,  really don't see the need to use anything else..  but different strokes I guess. lol

Quote Oni-Tenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by e06028

And who opens 40 tabs at once, you maybe but no one else.

Me, usually.
Can't on this computer though.
ablahblah:
justin.kerr:
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:59pm
Hi Mr,

Hi I don't know what you freeze problem is but I suggest you give Opera a try. I have Opera, IE-8, Firefox and Chrome. Opera is my favorite by a large margin. Chrome is the worst browser that I have ever used by a large margin. The only reason it is still on my computer is I haven't taken the time to delete it.

Not to long ago Opera was not working with some sites and with each upgrade it has gotten better and better. I hardly ever run into a site that has a problem any more. It makes no difference what me or other posters like, you should try Opera and make you own decision. The Speed Dial alone makes it worth having. There are a bunch of options and it may take a little while to get everything figured out. It also takes time to get Firefox or IE sorted out.

Frank
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

with most of my work stuff  I can only use IE, so that is all I run,  really don't see the need to use anything else..  but different strokes I guess. lol

I'm pretty much in the same boat, due to work, I'd say I'm around 85% IE, 15% mixture of everything else.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 3:31pm
The truth is that the best browser for each person is the one they like using, as justin and tidgxor has said, ie serves them best for their use, thats it.

Now I can promise you that even if their work allowed other browsers, they would not allow chrome due to the fact that they don't want to spend their money on google when they don't have too, there is no reason to have a browser that just hogs all your resources.

@Oni-Tenshi get your tabs ready cause that new pc is gonna open up like 60 tabs and act like its nothing at all, I doubt it can do it chrome tho you will need 12GB of ram to do that with chrome
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 6:54pm
i got 4 tabs running with 120k memory on em x.x but yea Ive actually never heard of opera, going to give it a try now. What is the speed dial you were talking about FrankW? Ive always been a FF person until this new ds comp, i turned to chrome. i use FF sometimes for some of my work that wont work on chrome though but thats about it. I never use IE, idk someone stuck the theory of that browser having the most virus atacks or something into my head
Mr.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 7:47pm
IE used to be the least secure browser and now ff is the least secure, why? sinmple, hacker always go after the bowl with most money in it, in this case it would be the browser that has the most users, IE used to have the most users before, so hackers went after IE vulnerabilities, then ff became the one with most users, so now hackers are after ff's vulnerability.

In short whatever browser is the most popular at the time, is the one that is the least secure.

So that is not a fair point to judge browsers on, because of the above statement.

IMO you have nothing to gain to go from ff/opera to chrome, but you have everything to lose, including your resources.

Opera unlike any other browser you have used, has got all feaures build right in, you don't really use any extension with opera, you have a mail client that will let you manage your emails right from the browser, you got your bookmarks (favorites) that come with what is called a personal bar, you can put your most used links here on top of the tabs for quick access, if you need help with this let me know.

you get "my note" which is basically a place for you to save as many notes/txt you like so if there is anything you use on regular basis you don't have to type it over and over again, you just click on note and it appears, for example I use this smiley a lot that just got there from me clicking my notes or for example I say this a lot:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

again all that txt above got there with just one click.

play around with it, you will see it saves lot of time if you spend lot of time on the net.

it shows you your downloads and the speed you are downloading at, the link of the download and etc.

there is so many features it has it would take a long time for me to list them all, lol.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jan 2011 at 7:47pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Mr.

i got 4 tabs running with 120k memory on em x.x but yea Ive actually never heard of opera, going to give it a try now. What is the speed dial you were talking about FrankW?

Hi Mr,

Speed Dial is a page that has a matrix of small windows that contain information like a book mark. You can choose a 2X2 up to a 5X5 matrix. So if you used the 5X5 matrix, like I do, you have 25 small windows that contain bookmarks. The small windows contains pictures of the page that you will be going to. Below the picture is the name of the link. I have my Opera configured so that when I open Opera the Speed Dial page opens. This gives me immediate access to any of the 25 locations that Opera can take me to. If I open a new tab the Speed Dial page appears so I can select my link.

You still have a bookmark list like other browsers. I have a site that I manage and my Speed Dial has 8 links to this one site. So I can select the Admin page, or the PM page, or the Home page when I want to access the site. You can do this with bookmarks but I find the Speed Dial much more convenient. If you have used FireFox it is like their favorite places links that show when FireFox opens.

Frank
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:02pm
ohh i think chrome has something like the speed dial too, it has the 8 diff sites i most visit and what not on it once i open it, im going to give opera a try. I like the note thing too, pretty neat.
Mr.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:17pm
Its got so much more capablities then others its not even funny, but one has to take the time to get to know them,for example, firefox has an extension for notes also,but its not thing like what opera offers, you can do much more with opera's.

For me I have opera set to start with my fav pages, so when I click on opera, it automatically open with all fav sites open, my site/forum, ds site/forum and etc, so I never really use speed dial, between my bookmarks, personal bar, and opera set to open my fav pages at load, I don't get around using speed dial, but its pretty cool and many do have a use for it.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 5:28pm
Hi Mr,

How are you making out with Opera?

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply