Post Date: 2007-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pineapplerum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Got a question about routers.
    Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 5:48pm
Hi everyone,
I am very confused when it comes to routers.  I just ordered one online and when I recieved it, realized I got the kind you need to hook up with cables.  I didn't realize that I wanted the wireless router.  D'oh!
I sent that one back and now I have to order a wireless router.
Okay, here's the question, or should I say questionsssss,

What brand/model do you recommend for a cable internet connection wireless router that's not more than $120?

I have the cable internet connection upstairs on my old computer.  I'll need to use the router for my new computer from DS downstairs.  I don't have bluetooth or any of that stuff on my new computer or old one-at least, not that I know of. What do I need to buy to make that computer read the signal from the wireless router?  I'm assuming I'll have to hook up the router physically to the modem connected  to the computer I already have upstairs?
I know these are probably really stupid questions but I really don't know or understand this whole bluetooth, wireless router stuff.
Thanks for your help in advance.  Smile

georges326 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 8:51pm
No not stupid questions.  I'll give you an idea of what we have at our home.
Desktop with Linksys wrt-54g router and cable modem hooked together.
Another desktop with a PCI wireless(linksys) card
2 laptops with wireless adapter cards
We have not set up print sharing on the network but all computers reach the internet through the router/cable modem.
When my son gets his DSO rig, I will probably get him a Linksys USB wireless adapter that will connect to the router/cable modem.
Hope this helps a little until someone with more expertise comes along.
Have Fun,   George
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 8:55pm
I have the same router set-up in my house.  Wife is on the other side of the house with her computer and I use a Linksys Expander unit to increase the signal run.  Good set-up and gets coverage all over the house for laptops too.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 8:59pm
Hey Ed

I'm not familiar with the Linksys Expander. Do you attach it between the router and modem or just into one of the open ports?

thanks
Have Fun,   George
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 9:53pm
It's called a Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE-54G V.3).  It'll run you around $75.00 before tax.

Very easy set-up and it's plug and play.  Program it at an outlet next to the router.  It auto-configs. itself.  After it configs., then unplug it and carry it to the edge of your original router signal and plug it in there.  To find the "edge" of your signal output just carry a laptop around that's configured on your router and find where the signal drops off.  That will be the point of diminishing return.  It's quite a handy piece of equipment.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 10:17pm
Thanks Ed. I'll look into getting one.
Have Fun,   George
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 10:42pm
You're welcome.

On another note, are you by chance a physician assistant in Arizona?

Lamp
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2007 at 10:52pm

Thank you.  I keep hearing Linksys is a good router.  I wasn't sure if it was just being over rated.

Do you need a special attachment in the computer for the wireless card or does it plug into something a typical computer already has like the usb?

The expander sounds like a good idea.  I'll see how it works without first, though.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 12:20am
I have a Buffalo AirStation on my second wired computer in the house.  It simply plugs into a USB port and you set it up high on a desk somewhere  where it can grab the signal transmission.   I didn't use a PCI card for any bad reason.  I just didn't think about that at the time.

Remember this when setting up your router.  Router transmissions signal high in the air, so it's a good idea to get at least the receiver up high.  I have my Linksys router enclosed inside my desk cabinet low to the ground so you can't see it.  My AirStation is positioned on top of the armoir my wife's computer set-up is in on the other side of the house so it grabs the signal well.  She receives a full signal with that set-up. 

I have the Range Expander plugged into a wall in her office close to her computer, that's the edge of my router signal, and the signal is boosted from that point throughout the rest of the house allowing laptops very good signal access from any point.  The Expander also helps boost the router signal to the AirStation sitting on top of her computer armoir.

I hope this wasn't confusing. 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 2:54pm
Ed
Yes I am a PA from Arizona. Moved to Phoenix area in 1999 from NY.  How did you know?
Have Fun,   George
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by georges326

Ed
Yes I am a PA from Arizona. Moved to Phoenix area in 1999 from NY.  How did you know?

Gotta love the internet.  Your name sparked some curiosity so I Googled it.  And the rest is history... lol!

Google your name... and there you are.  I hope I didn't offend you doing that.  Your name just got me curious as to whom you were.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 3:40pm
No offense at all. Nice to have a connection, albeit probably long distance(unless you also live in Az.). gotta love the net.
Have Fun,   George
Nomad View Drop Down

Quote Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 10:09pm
Hey has anyone here used the Linksys Wireless-G Router with Speedbooster? I'm going to need a router and this one was on sale but I'm not sure how good it is.  Thanks in advance!
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
320GB Western Digital
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Windows Vista Home Premium
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 10:17pm

Nomad

I have a Linksys wrt-54g router connected to a cable modem. It does have speedboost but I cannot say if there is any difference because I have not had the same router without speedboost. Cannot say if speedboost is real or a marketing ploy.
Have Fun,   George
Nomad View Drop Down

Quote Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 10:28pm

Nomad

I have a Linksys wrt-54g router connected to a cable modem. It does have speedboost but I cannot say if there is any difference because I have not had the same router without speedboost. Cannot say if speedboost is real or a marketing ploy.

Ah ok thanks. Well it's not so much the Speedbooster aspect that I'm asking about so much as the router itself. It's like $60 but I just want to make sure it'll be right for my needs and stuff.

EDIT: Oh whoops! I didn't realize that the "wrt-54g" was the one that I was looking at. Sorry! Embarrassed Well how do you like that router? I use Quest Communications so I have some form of DSL (not really sure of the specifics) and the comp that I'm getting from DS will be about 40 feet away from where the modem is.

Edited by Nomad - 26 Nov 2007 at 10:32pm
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2
320GB Western Digital
nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Windows Vista Home Premium
Groupie
Groupie

Quote georges326 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 11:06pm
Nomad
My router and cable modem are connected to an old computer(not a gaming screamer) through ethernet cable. My daughter's desktop is connected by PCI card adapter to the network, 3 laptops are connected with wireless adapters. The router has been working without problems for approx. 4 years. My throughput ranges from very good to excellent. I would certainly buy another one if I had to, b/c of my current experience.
Have Fun,   George
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Nomad

Nomad

Ah ok thanks. Well it's not so much the Speedbooster aspect that I'm asking about so much as the router itself. It's like $60 but I just want to make sure it'll be right for my needs and stuff.

EDIT: Oh whoops! I didn't realize that the "wrt-54g" was the one that I was looking at. Sorry! Embarrassed Well how do you like that router? I use Quest Communications so I have some form of DSL (not really sure of the specifics) and the comp that I'm getting from DS will be about 40 feet away from where the modem is.

Go back to page 1 and read down.  You may find some answers earlier in this thread about your questions.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2007 at 11:08pm

No offense at all. Nice to have a connection, albeit probably long distance(unless you also live in Az.). gotta love the net.

I'm in San Antonio, TX.  Not to far to your right.  Nice to meet you.
  Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2007 at 10:15pm
Okay, one last question.
I got the Linksys router that you told me to get and I got it with the speed booster.
I also got a Linksys adapter.  But I only got the regular one, not realizing there was also a speed booster adapter.

Do I need both router and adapter to be speed boosters for the speed booster to work?
Thanks in advance.  :)
commast View Drop Down

Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2007 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Pineapplerum

Okay, one last question.
I got the Linksys router that you told me to get and I got it with the speed booster.
I also got a Linksys adapter.  But I only got the regular one, not realizing there was also a speed booster adapter.

Do I need both router and adapter to be speed boosters for the speed booster to work?
Thanks in advance.  :)

Yes.

Post Reply Post Reply