FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPU's and Bios Boot Screen

Post Date: 2014-04-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gamer924 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gamer924 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GPU's and Bios Boot Screen
    Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 2:58pm
I have 2 AMD 7970's in crossfire configuration. In an effort to find which HMDI outlet's use would keep the gpu's the coolest, I switched from using one card's hdmi to the other. Everything works fine including 3d, but when the computer boots, I don't see anything on the monitor until the windows 8.1 lock screen comes up. Until that point, the monitor says no signal. Short of removing one card (I already tried disconnecting the crossfire strap) is there anything I can do to get the bios screen back? I should also mention that when I switched from Nvidia to Amd, I removed all traces of the NVidia driver. Using a asus z77 motherboard, could I have accidentally removed the motherboard's integrated graphics which I think is nvida branded?
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:22am
Whichever card is at the top "in slot" 1 is the card you should use. The way SLI and Xfire works is, they alternate on frames. Card A takes frame 1, Card B Frame 2, so on and so on.

If you plug into Card B, it will process it's frame, send it to card A, which in turn sends it to the display output port on card B. You won't notice a difference in performance and the strain on your system is extremely minimal. But neither one will give your card less of a load and produce less heat. Your computer just by default always displays out of slot 1 until the OS kicks in, and outputs through wherever it finds a signal.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Gamer924 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Gamer924 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 2:59pm
Thank you for the advice. I am giving up going against the computer's nature inclination. It just so happens that a driver update was available today so I did a clean reinstall. I uninstalled the gpu driver and programs. When instructed to restart, I changed the hdmi output I was using to the top gpu. This gave me a black screen, but there is a restart button on the tower which I used. The correct screen was then shown before the OS started and from there I just reinstalled the gpu driver and now everything works. I guess if you're supposed to use the top, don't be creative is the moral of this story. Just use the top.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:47pm
Haha, well as long as we're doing lessons learned. Don't hit the restart button on your PC. Hard restarts can be bad on your OS partition and any running data. If you're doing a fresh install, typically the software will uninstall all prior drivers, do a clean up, and auto restart. At least that's how nvidia does it. If it doesn't, then simple click on your Windows Icon, and restart it through windows. That enables everything to be closed properly and help eliminate any possible corruption to your OS files. Restart buttons are really only good if your computer is completely locked up/frozen. Otherwise, pretend it's not even there.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply