Post Date: 2020-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mattybetts View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mattybetts Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: gpu help
    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 7:12am
Hello everyone. I have a question for you that I sure could use some help. After alot of research I finally picked the digital storm computer I must have. The only question is does anyone know or have advice on the right video card I should get. I run 3 monitors, I use my old computer for my photography, audio studio and design graphics. My question is which gpu would suite my needs. As of now I got my moniters "frankensteined" together but two of the lost the resolution I wanted. I would love to correct this on my new rig.
I was thinking about the gforce 3090 but would like advice from people who actually know more about this.
MattyB.
grasoline View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:58am
3080, 3090, 6800xt, etc. Any of the newest GPUs will do the job for you. Also recommend you ensure you have an appropriate CPU - likely 8 cores at the bare minimum but likely 10. Intel is fine, but ideally a 5900x or something comparable.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 3:07am
Depends somewhat on the resolution of the monitors. You could run 3 1080ps on an RTX 3070. For three 1440s or perhaps 2 1440s and 1080, you might want a 3080 or a 6800XT. Those two are a virtual tie but have some slight differences. There is no need for 3090 power just to run three monitors, IMO. It's not much of a trick with the power of today's cards, but you can get whatever you want.

Edited by Cretae - 15 Dec 2020 at 3:08am
Ledfoot View Drop Down

Quote Ledfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:04am
I mean, I've ran triple monitor setups for the last 10 years or so. Many the times on Intel integrated graphics or docking stations. Its not a difficult feat when you are sticking to 1080p, nearly any card that isnt a paper weight can do it. Just check ports and that your CPU supports it, which most likely does. But yeah depends on what you want your system for. I'd say getting a 3000 series GPU is a great way to go just for how good they are and any of them will push 1080p triple monitor.
McBuff View Drop Down

Quote McBuff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:21pm
I've got a Nvidia GTX 1080 with a 600w power source. I'm not a gamer, I'm a photographer, mostly doing Photoshop/Lightroom workflow. About a year ago, my unit would crash/shutdown whenever I attempted to use Lightroom with the GPU accelerator turned on. Turning it off allows me to use Lightroom (at a reduced capacity) and since that. . have not had a crash/shutdown problem. But I still wonder is my GPU faulty?. . .no problem in any other usage although, occasionally I hear a "tick,tick,tick" coming from, I think, the GPU fan. . .especially when doing photo processing. I've been advised to upgrade to a 3070 which would require upgrading power to 750-850w range. Presently working with an Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz and a Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-P (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support). As I look around for GPU's, so much is focused on GPU and gaming. . I'm just wondering what upgrade would be more relevant for my graphics usage. Disclaimer: I know cameras and graphics software - computer hardware. . I'm a dummy.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:50am
The new 3060 Ti is about 25% stronger all-around than your 1080, and it will run fine on your 600W PSU per Nvidia. IDK if it comes over from rendering in games to your work at 1:1, but peak and multi-rendering is over 50% stronger.

Hope it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply