Post Date: 2012-12-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Richard in Idaho View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Richard in Idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GPU photo edit
    Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:38am
I am planing to replace my six year old computer.
I will not be playing games.
Plan to use a LGA 2011 motherboard. Do not to over spend on the video card.
I do want to use dual monitors for photoshop. I am using CS3.
What is the lowest point that I should start when looking for a GPU?  
Richard
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 3:02am
Hello Richard... Welcome to the forums.    

Depends on your budget, the resolution of your monitors you will use, and what else you would like to be able to do with your new build in the future aside from Photoshop CS3.

I would generally suggest a configuration with at least one NVidia GTX 670 for good multi monitor performance just using a relatively demanding photo application like Adobe Photoshop CS3. One GTX 670 or one GTX 680 could run up to 4 displays, and should remain a high level performance GPU for several more years. If those 2 monitors were both large 2560 X 1600 30" displays for example, then you might want consider using two 670's in SLI for better multi monitor performance at max resolutions.

Hope that starts the ball rolling for you. Look at the Digital Storm Ode V2 line as the best value and bang for the buck. Don't be too worried about exceeding your performance requirements a little, as that may help this new build last as long as your old pc did before needing upgrades. Going to a new LGA 2011 platform from a 6 yr old pc should be quite an enjoyable experience. You came to the right place Richard, as Digital Storm builds awesome computers and they have excellent in house customer service & support.   
Martys View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 12:36pm
Hi Richard,

Bear in mind that CS3 doesn't make use of the graphics card so if you plan to stay with it a high level card like the 670 is really over kill. Even CS6 uses the card for only a few filters and transforms as discussed in this FAQ from Adobe. Some plug-ins do make extensive use of the card so if you have any check with the vendors. I use CS5 with a number plug-ins and have a mid-range AMD 7850 which is also probably a bit of over-kill. While, I'm using only a single monitor, most mid-range cards should be capable of driving two. If you're going to be doing video, then a higher level card may be useful.

Hope this helps.

Marty
 Post Reply Post Reply