Post Date: 2018-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MLM510 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MLM510 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GPU Upgrade Advice
    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:22am
Hey all I'm looking to upgrade my Vanquish 7 stage 2 gpu and was wondering if this is compatible with that computer and if its plug and play,seeing a lot of Black Friday deals so I figured I'd capitalize on it. I'm also open to suggestions,no set budget.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126189

Edited by MLM510 - 18 Nov 2018 at 10:23am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:48am
That's a solid upgrade from your 1050 Ti. All the video cards you would be considering in that range will run fine on your motherboard. As far as "plug and play", no, you would have to go to the appropriate website and download the correct drivers for the card you select. It would run in a rudimentary way when you first install from generic Windows video drivers, but you would want manufacturer drivers for best performance. Instructions for that would come with your new card.

I would encourage you to explore the next step up in either Radeon (580) or Nvidia (1060 6GB) flavors. From ~$40-$60 more, you would get near peak performance on high at 1080p (resolution). My choice would be the GTX 1060, but that's only because it's what DS offers, and I know more about it. From what I see, they seem to be neck and neck performance wise with the Radeon maybe a few bucks cheaper.

Hope it helps.   
MLM510 View Drop Down

Quote MLM510 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:36pm
Thanks much appreciated
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:56am
Interested to know what you decided!
MLM510 View Drop Down

Quote MLM510 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Cretae

Interested to know what you decided!

Haha funny story,so when I bought my Vanquish back in April it actually came with a 1060 6gb but I guess overtime I forgot that due to it not really performing the way that I've seen it (1080p Ultra getting 60fps on most games)so when I went to look for a new gpu I assumed I had a 4gb instead of checking,I was actually seconds away from buying another 1060 before I thought to double check what I actually have. I know I'm a fool,so maybe I should look into over clocking unless you think I should look into getting a 1070 or 1080 instead.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 11:15am
Make sure you have the monitor connected to the gpu. Also maybe check what drivers you are using to make sure its not the generic pnp from windows before you decide to upgrade.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Make sure you have the monitor connected to the gpu. Also maybe check what drivers you are using to make sure its not the generic pnp from windows before you decide to upgrade.

REALLY!

I'm happy you didn't pull that trigger! There's something amiss if you aren't getting the performance you should from your 1060. Check everything you can think of and then call DS for their take. You should be happy if everything's right. I don't get it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:31am
If what you intended to do was getting another gtx 1060 to sli to your original card then it won’t work.   Gtx 1060 doesn’t support sli and doesn’t have the bridge connector.

Not sure what you are playing but the gtx 1060 won’t play all games at Ultra on a 1080p. My recommendation for 1080p is the gtx 1070 if you play games like Witcher 3, Mordor, etc. and you want Ultra, Hairworks, etc.

Overclocking the graphics card won’t give you much better performance.   

Post Reply Post Reply