FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPU upgrade

Post Date: 2015-11-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ryuubane81 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ryuubane81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GPU upgrade
    Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 4:10am
Hello everyone!

I want to upgrade my gpu but I'm not sure what I can upgrade to. I'm not sure what's compatible with my setup and I'm not sure how to even figure that out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here are my system specs:

Pre-built Digital Storm Marauder - Level 4

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX (Intel Z77 Chipset)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)

Power Supply: 600W Corsair GS

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB (Includes PhysX)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (High Performance Cooler)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Nothing is or ever has been overclocked (not sure how to lol). I'm basically trying to play fallout 4 on high or ultra and was thinking of getting a gtx 960 or better card but i'm confused about pci express 2, 3, etc and there being adapters between 6+2 and 8 pins. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 4:30am
Hi ryuubane81......,I would suggest upgrading to the gtx 970 for a large boost in gaming and ability to run Fallout 4 .

Your mobo is Pcie 3.0 and so are the 660ti and 970.   Even if the mobo was the older Pcie 2.0 it wouldn't matter. Pcie 3.0 is backward compatible to 2.0 with little or no performance loss.

Both cards, your 660 ti and most 970s have 2x6 pin power inputs.   If by chance you got a card requiring an 8 pin power input, again, no problem.   I believe that psu, like most, have dual 6+2 pin cables. It's a 8 pin connector where 2 pins detach from the 6 pin section, hence 6+2 pin.   The other 2 pins are probably folded back and tywrapped by DS for a clean look.

The new 970 should be just an easy swap, plug and play, and maybe update the drivers afterwards.

Hope this helps.
ryuubane81 View Drop Down

Quote ryuubane81 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 4:35am
Thank you bprat22! That helps immensely! I appreciate your help! Thank you! Thank you!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 4:38am
My pleasure. .    I have the MSI gtx 970 Gamer 4 with mild factory overclock and custom fans that stay off until under load and about 65c. Quiet even with the fans on.   Just an example.
jhdeerslayer View Drop Down

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 5:21am
To hijack this thread... I want to upgrade my 670 to 970 and seems an easy upgrade but any advise on what company for the 970? You have Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc. and there can be $50 or less difference between them and I'm not sure just deciding on price is the best way. Any thoughts how to weed the company choices down?

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 6:32am
Maybe I answered my own question... I found a good side by side review of EVGA, Asus, and Msi and seems Msi makes the overall better card.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 9:48am
I bought the MSI gtx 970 Gamer 4G a few months ago.   My research showed the same result.    EVGA is known for excellent support, so can't knock them. They did have heat sink mis-alignment issues and Asus Strix has had a lot of complaints of coil-whine and a bit more noise.    MSI is  great card, custom cooling that keeps fans off until needed and quiet even with fans on.    StrongBig%20Smile

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:11am
Thank you sir and good to know.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 1:55pm
Just saying, you could throw in a GTX Titan X.

But all joking aside. I haven't ever had a cooler issue with EVGA. Their biggest thing was the alignment issues plus the coil whine, but the coil whine of the ACX coolers was the 1st gen on the 700 series. As for the 900 series... they are rock solid.

And Im using ASUS Strix 980 Ti's at the moment (feels weird not having EVGA). They are quiet, super fast, stay fairly cool... for air. I'm just not a fan of MSI or Gigabyte cards (as long as we're only referencing US cards, I really don't mess with EU cards at all.. Zotac and so forth).
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 2:23pm
Yeah, I always figured an EVGA or Asus as my next card.    Reputation means a lot.   But every comparison I saw gave MSI the edge, both in noise and temps.   Not much, just a little.    So far so good, quality build and quiet with temps rarely getting out of the 60's.   

Time will tell.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2015 at 9:51pm
Yea, the MSI lightning does dominate the meters from reviews. I'm sure the performance is there, but I'm a brand whore. I remember the days when MSI was just a cheaply made card and board. While their boards have come a long way, I guess I'm just stuck in the old age of the idea's of their cards.

I'm planning on either selling my three Strix and buying some classifieds from evga when I end up rebuilding my loops. EVGA just has great cards and great support. Perhaps I should look into MSI and consider giving them a try.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:44am
Well we soon find out since I will install it soon. Since I have the latest drivers installed for my 670 I assume I plug in the new 970 and I should be good to go.

Upgrades always make me nervous.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:07pm
It'll go great.

Unplug the rig, stay static safe, either a wrist static strap or keep touching metal, unplug, remove the old, mount and hook cables to the new. Power up, let Windows do its dance and Enjoy.

Don't forget to hook up the monitor cable.    Nerves can make some forget.

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:19pm
Thanks for the vote of confidence. lol

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 6:33am
Piece of cake to install and not sure what I was worried about....   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 7:03am
Never any doubt. Big%20SmileStrong
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 7:33am
Hi jhdeerslayer,

I am sure you got your new 970 installed correctly but wanted to ask about the power connections. There is a good chance your 670 used 6+6 power connectors. If you got the MSI gtx 970 Gamer 4G card it will have 8+6 power connectors.   I was wondering if you used the 8+6 power for your card? If your new card is 6+6 power than you are good to go.

I hope you are having a blast with your new 970.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 19 Nov 2015 at 7:34am

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 10:28am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi jhdeerslayer,

I am sure you got your new 970 installed correctly but wanted to ask about the power connections. There is a good chance your 670 used 6+6 power connectors. If you got the MSI gtx 970 Gamer 4G card it will have 8+6 power connectors.   I was wondering if you used the 8+6 power for your card? If your new card is 6+6 power than you are good to go.

I hope you are having a blast with your new 970.

Frank

Actually it was 6+8 as you say. MSI provided a converter cable which I used. My only silliness was struggling to get the PCI locking feature off the card already installed. It was easy in the end but took a certain special touch...   This card performs so well I can't imagine, (yet...) when I will need to overclock it further. I loaded Afterburner in and might play with it in the future.

This card is soooo quiet as advertised!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 10:33am
If you don't need it, and I don't think you do, don't use the converter cable.  Chances are its just fine but it is another source of potential bad connection issues.  

Your psu PCIe cables should be the 6+2 cables.   Just cut the tie-wrap and use directly.

Of course, with it working so great, I'm sure you won't .  Hahaha  Can't blame ya. 

Quote jhdeerslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by bprat22

If you don't need it, and I don't think you do, don't use the converter cable.  Chances are its just fine but it is another source of potential bad connection issues.   Your psu PCIe cables should be the 6+2 cables.   Just cut the tie-wrap and use directly.Of course, with it working so great, I'm sure you won't .  Hahaha  Can't blame ya. 

Yes considered that since my Corsair 800 has two 6+2 connectors and next time I open my case for cleaning (yes I clean out dust a few times a year like a good boy should), I will try the direct connection way.

Next upgrade is from Win 7 to Win 10 and a lot more scary then GPU change! But will wait for a long weekend for that.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:03pm
Windows 10 upgrade from win7 , for me, with both my 4 year old DS and 7 year old 'other' rig, was a piece of cake. I did my brothers laptop also.

I just downloaded the media creation files , sat back and watched it work. I used the manual, media creation tool, because MS never put me in Q.    

Post Reply Post Reply