Graphene Transistors wow wow wow

Post Date: 2010-02-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Graphene Transistors wow wow wow
    Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 2:04pm
Graphene Transistors that Work at Blistering Speeds

Quote:
IBM has created graphene transistors that leave silicon ones in the dust. The prototype devices, made from atom-thick sheets of carbon, operate at 100 gigahertz--meaning they can switch on and off 100 billion times each second, about 10 times as fast as the speediest silicon transistors.
Speedy switches: These arrays of transistors, printed on a silicon carbide wafer, operate at speeds of 100 gigahertz.
Credit: Science/AAAS

The transistors were created using processes that are compatible with existing semiconductor manufacturing, and experts say they could be scaled up to produce transistors for high-performance imaging, radar, and communications devices within the next few years, and for zippy computer processors in a decade or so.

Researchers have previously made graphene transistors using laborious mechanical methods, for example by flaking off sheets of graphene from graphite; the fastest transistors made this way have reached speeds of up to 26 gigahertz. Transistors made using similar methods have not equaled these speeds.

Growing transistors on a wafer not only leads to better performance, it's also more commercially feasible, says Phaedon Avouris, leader of the nanoscale science and technology group at the IBM Watson Research Center in Ossining, NY where the work was carried out.

Ultimately, graphene has the potential to replace silicon in high-speed computer processors. As computers get faster each year, silicon is getting closer and closer to its physical limits, and graphene provides a promising potential replacement because electrons move through the material much faster than they do through silicon. "Even without optimizing the design, these transistors are already 2.5 times better than silicon," says Yu-Ming Lin, another researcher at IBM Watson who collaborated with Avouris.

Other researchers have made very fast transistors using expensive semiconductor materials such as indium phosphide, but these devices only operate at low temperatures. In theory, graphene has the material properties needed to let transistors run at terahertz speeds at room temperature.

The IBM researchers grew the graphene on the surface of a two-inch silicon-carbide wafer. The process starts when they heat the wafer until the silicon evaporates, leaving behind a thin layer of carbon, known as epitaxial graphene. This technique has been used to make transistors before, but the IBM team improved the process by using better materials for the other parts of the transistor, in particular the insulator.

"Graphene's properties are very sensitive to its environment," says Lin. This is why the IBM group focused on designing a new insulating layer--the part of the transistor that prevents short circuits. They found that adding a thin layer of a polymer between the dielectric and the graphene improved performance. The work is described this week in the journal Science.

Walter de Heer, a professor of physics at Georgia Tech in Atlanta who pioneered methods used to work with epitaxial graphene, says the IBM device is a milestone because of its speed and because it was made using practical fabrication techniques. "This is not pie-in-the-sky stuff, this is real," he says. "This development is really going to turn into a communications device not too long from now."

"One can apply the same processing technologies to get much closer to a product," says Avouris. Last year, the same IBM group, and an independent group at HRL Laboratories in Malibu, CA, both made 10 gigahertz graphene transistors using an involved method called mechanical exfoliation. This process involves peeling away layers from a small piece of graphite until a single, atom-thick sheet remains, then setting that down on a substrate and carving it to form a transistor. The problem with this approach is that it compromises graphene's electrical properties and is not commercially scalable, says Avouris.

The first applications of graphene transistors will likely be as switches and amplifiers in analog military electronics. Indeed, the IBM group's work is supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. But the researchers say it will be years before the company begins commercial development on carbon electronics.

De Heer notes that the IBM devices don't yet realize graphene's full potential. By carefully controlling the growing conditions, his group has made graphene that conducts electrons 10 times faster than the material used by the IBM team. This higher-quality graphene could, in theory, be used to make transistors that reach terahertz speeds, though de Heer says many things could go wrong during scale-up.

Avouris says the IBM team will work to improve its transistors' speed by miniaturizing them. The ones it has made so far are 240 nanometers long, which is relatively large--silicon electronic components are down to about 20 nanometers. Avouris also believes that their performance could be improved by making the insulating layer thinner. "The next step is to try and integrate these transistors into a truly operational circuit," he says.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 4:34pm
Clap
Caleb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 7:38pm
You bored me after <quote>Graphene Transistors that Work at Blistering Speeds

Quote:
IBM has created graphene transistors that leave silicon ones in the dust. The prototype devices, made from atom-thick sheets of carbon, operate at 100 gigahertz--meaning they can switch on and off 100 billion times each second, about 10 times as fast as the speediest silicon transistors.
Speedy switches: These arrays of transistors, printed on a silicon carbide wafer, operate at speeds of 100 gigahertz.
Credit: Science/AAAS

The transistors were created using processes that are compatible with existing semiconductor manufacturing, and experts say they could be scaled up to produce transistors for high-performance imaging, radar, and communications devices within the next few years, and for zippy computer processors in a decade or so.

Researchers have previously made graphene transistors using laborious mechanical methods, for example by flaking off sheets of graphene from graphite; the fastest transistors made this way have reached speeds of up to 26 gigahertz. Transistors made using similar methods have not equaled these speeds.

Growing transistors on a wafer not only leads to better performance, it's also more commercially feasible, says Phaedon Avouris, leader of the nanoscale science and technology group at the IBM Watson Research Center in Ossining, NY where the work was carried out.

Ultimately, graphene has the potential to replace silicon in high-speed computer processors. As computers get faster each year, silicon is getting closer and closer to its physical limits, and graphene provides a promising potential replacement because electrons move through the material much faster than they do through silicon. "Even without optimizing the design, these transistors are already 2.5 times better than silicon," says Yu-Ming Lin, another researcher at IBM Watson who collaborated with Avouris.

Other researchers have made very fast transistors using expensive semiconductor materials such as indium phosphide, but these devices only operate at low temperatures. In theory, graphene has the material properties needed to let transistors run at terahertz speeds at room temperature.

The IBM researchers grew the graphene on the surface of a two-inch silicon-carbide wafer. The process starts when they heat the wafer until the silicon evaporates, leaving behind a thin layer of carbon, known as epitaxial graphene. This technique has been used to make transistors before, but the IBM team improved the process by using better materials for the other parts of the transistor, in particular the insulator.

"Graphene's properties are very sensitive to its environment," says Lin. This is why the IBM group focused on designing a new insulating layer--the part of the transistor that prevents short circuits. They found that adding a thin layer of a polymer between the dielectric and the graphene improved performance. The work is described this week in the journal Science.

Walter de Heer, a professor of physics at Georgia Tech in Atlanta who pioneered methods used to work with epitaxial graphene, says the IBM device is a milestone because of its speed and because it was made using practical fabrication techniques. "This is not pie-in-the-sky stuff, this is real," he says. "This development is really going to turn into a communications device not too long from now."

"One can apply the same processing technologies to get much closer to a product," says Avouris. Last year, the same IBM group, and an independent group at HRL Laboratories in Malibu, CA, both made 10 gigahertz graphene transistors using an involved method called mechanical exfoliation. This process involves peeling away layers from a small piece of graphite until a single, atom-thick sheet remains, then setting that down on a substrate and carving it to form a transistor. The problem with this approach is that it compromises graphene's electrical properties and is not commercially scalable, says Avouris.

The first applications of graphene transistors will likely be as switches and amplifiers in analog military electronics. Indeed, the IBM group's work is supported in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. But the researchers say it will be years before the company begins commercial development on carbon electronics.

De Heer notes that the IBM devices don't yet realize graphene's full potential. By carefully controlling the growing conditions, his group has made graphene that conducts electrons 10 times faster than the material used by the IBM team. This higher-quality graphene could, in theory, be used to make transistors that reach terahertz speeds, though de Heer says many things could go wrong during scale-up.

Avouris says the IBM team will work to improve its transistors' speed by miniaturizing them. The ones it has made so far are 240 nanometers long, which is relatively large--silicon electronic components are down to about 20 nanometers. Avouris also believes that their performance could be improved by making the insulating layer thinner. "The next step is to try and integrate these transistors into a truly operational circuit," he says.</quote>

Just messin, plz explain in english 4-6 words^
Simpleviet View Drop Down

Quote Simpleviet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 7:55pm
that is very cool. I learned something today and I hope I can use them while I'm in.
IIWII - It is what it is.
WUSIWUG - What you see is What you get.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:27pm
it will replace silicon in chips... speeds possible off 100Ghz  lol
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 3:22am
what about heat?
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 7:40am
don't kow for sure, but guessing 2.5-8x less
Kinesis View Drop Down

Quote Kinesis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:01am
10 years away
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:30am
typically technologies have a slow start and exponential growth. took us 60 years give or take to go from orville and wilber to Neil Armstrong.

Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 12:26pm
I would agree Kaleliar, except this has military applications and DARPA already has their hands on it. They would LOVE to have this for their use and the demand the military would place on it (particularly for the newer units that deal in electronic and cyberwarfare), plus the standard bid system for production, will cheapen this and make it mainstream stupidly fast.  Couple this with the fact that it seems that NASA is about to become a pure research arm (with a hefty chunk of their budget moving to research on improving how we get into space) similar to DARPA and will do similar things and I'm betting it doesn't even take 10 years.

btw, this allows for some of the super-sciences to be delved into further. Anti-matter propulsion, multi-rail gun setups, pinpoint defense networking, cloaking and brain-technology integration are all generally on hold due to silicon's limitations. My personal favorite though is that guys using quantum teleportation have been saying for a while that they can't do complex stuff til hardware catches up..well.. here ya go, now make me my teleporter and replicator already!!

Edited by satsunada - 06 Feb 2010 at 12:45pm
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 12:27pm
I read that before that is amazing.

guess I will tell DS to hold my pc till these come out

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Feb 2010 at 12:27pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:40am
PRICES?

Disapprove
Simpleviet View Drop Down

Quote Simpleviet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 2:36pm
that'll be too long =( It be awesome if it gets integrated into my expertise in the army. Seeing, I am a network operator wooo. ><
IIWII - It is what it is.
WUSIWUG - What you see is What you get.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 2:15pm
So this is a processor...?
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by <8) slunK parade

PRICES?

Disapprove
We (everyone on this board pulling together) wouldn't be able to afford it Wink
parallox View Drop Down

Quote parallox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:34pm
I just can't wait until December 20, 2012, when IBM officially changes it name to Cyberdyne.
Ying%20Yang

Edited by parallox - 09 Feb 2010 at 10:55am
philiporphillip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote philiporphillip Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by parallox

I just can't wait until December 20, 2012, when IBM officially changes it name to Cyberdine.
Ying%20Yang

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN .. DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN (terminator theme, haha).
Digital Storm
haf 922
i7-920 oc'd @ 3.6 ghz (1.28v)
evga x58 le edition sli
cooler master v8
6 gb ddr3 1600 mhz mushkin
evga nvidia geforce gtx 295 co-op edition
1000w corsair hx
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 3:18am
its for CIA
KaylaF View Drop Down

Quote KaylaF Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 5:37am
Guess we are looking to a faster discovery of use of graphene. This substance has been the subject of studies of many experts. I do hope we will be soon enjoying products made of this. I heard Korea made touchscreen computer/phone out of graphene. Graphene is a recently discovered substance that is thinner, stronger and more conductive to electricity and heat than other things known. The 2010 Nobel Prize in Physics, and the $1.4 million dollar award that goes with it, were awarded to a duo of Russian scientists who discovered graphene. Graphene’s unique qualities have captivated researchers across the globe who are seeking quantum leaps in technology that can impact life on Earth in profound ways.
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by satsunada

I would agree Kaleliar, except this has military applications and DARPA already has their hands on it. They would LOVE to have this for their use and the demand the military would place on it (particularly for the newer units that deal in electronic and cyberwarfare), plus the standard bid system for production, will cheapen this and make it mainstream stupidly fast.  Couple this with the fact that it seems that NASA is about to become a pure research arm (with a hefty chunk of their budget moving to research on improving how we get into space) similar to DARPA and will do similar things and I'm betting it doesn't even take 10 years.

btw, this allows for some of the super-sciences to be delved into further. Anti-matter propulsion, multi-rail gun setups, pinpoint defense networking, cloaking and brain-technology integration are all generally on hold due to silicon's limitations. My personal favorite though is that guys using quantum teleportation have been saying for a while that they can't do complex stuff til hardware catches up..well.. here ya go, now make me my teleporter and replicator already!!

Except we still need a machine more along the lines of power that Quantum Computation would give us to do things such as quantum teleportation.  Wow, this is an interesting read, he actually said we could reach speeds in the terahertz.  That's amazing.  Well it's also amazing that IBM is successfully making DNA based machines right now too.  It's coming along rather quickly, though not as established as this yet.  However, I think I read we could be seeing a DNA computer in the next five years.  Which would be far superior to anything we have right now, and would be a much much cooler solution to computing.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 5:36pm
i've heard talk that they actually managed to get a small quantum chip to make a simple calculation, shows promise to full processes later on ^^

**A-HA! Found it! Science Daily

Edited by ablahblah - 08 Oct 2010 at 5:37pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Maugrem View Drop Down

Quote Maugrem Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 3:08pm
     Graphene is the future, plain and simple. It's actually easily produced currently (as of the last 4-8 months they discovered a new method of producing it from a specific coal found in Texas I believe) but not in the capacity for electronics. That method makes lots of small ill-regular pieces and is being implemented in carbon fiber (expect to see the prices of items made from carbon fiber to drop drastically in the next year or two as it takes the place of much more expensive carbon nanotubes).

Currently electronic grade graphene is made without undo difficulty by the evaporation method using silicon carbide as well as a 'growing' graphene on metal sheets (usually nickel or copper) but there is a large amount of difficulty in removing them once they've been grown from the metal sheet. Also it's still kind of prohibitively  expensive.

What's really cool about graphene is that up until six or so years ago anyone you proposed the idea to would have called you mad. Thermodynamically a single layer of atoms in a sheet form like graphene is unstable and shouldn't exist, it was expected anything made a single atom thick in a sheet would roll up on itself.Then a couple of Russian scientist got determind to prove everyone wrong and physically separated graphite (it's just graphene layers stacks on top of each other) by physically applying an adhesive tape to graphene, pulling a layer off, then using more tape on what was stuck on the tape. They got the Nobel prize in physics this year for their work.

Also something no one has mentioned yet is that the near superconductivity properties of graphene. When they can make transistors from it well enough to implement in devices sold to the public you'll find they're going to be much more power efficient. It'd be nice having a cell phone or laptop that you use daily but only need to charge once a month, no? Of course that pales in comparison to transistors that can operate over 1,000,000,000,000 times a second.

Remember people, this is why it's important to thank your scientist. Yes they may go mad every now and then, plotting to bring about the end of the world and such but without them we'd never have cool stuff like this. I can't wait for the fateful day when I can declare myself a mad scientist.
 Post Reply Post Reply