FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graphical lag/performance

Post Date: 2011-09-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xbenbox View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xbenbox Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Graphical lag/performance
    Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 5:16am
Hello,

I recently tried out Starcraft 2 on my newly purchased laptop, but was wondering why I could not push the settings a bit higher than medium/high. I understand that a laptop is less powerful than a desktop, but my old laptop from 3 years ago can still run Starcraft 2 on medium settings. This is concerning to me because I hope the life expectancy of this laptop to last me quite a while. Thanks for your time.
Unlicensedhitman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Unlicensedhitman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 4:07pm
If you have the DS xm15 or xm17, you need to set Starcraft 2 to run on the Nvidia High Performance GPU. If you play 4 versus 4, I would recommend on turning the settings to low, because those big battles will stress your laptop.

I'm assuming you have either the xm15 or the xm17.

Make sure you select "GeForce 400M or 500M Series (Notebook)."

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Once you have your game installed and your latest Nvidia driver, you need to add StarCraft 2 to be used with your GeForce GPU because you have Nvidia Optimus.

What is Nvidia Optimus?
This technology allows your laptop to switch between the integrated graphics (Intel HD) and the high performance graphics (Nvidia GeForce) for better battery life and to use the Nvidia graphics when you really need it.

1. Right click anywhere on your desktop.
2. Select Nvidia Control Panel
3. Select "Manage 3D settings" on the left
4. Make sure under "Global Settings" tab is set to "Auto-Select" because you want more battery life on your laptop and this means Nvidia Optimus is on.
5. Go to "Program settings" tab and follow steps 1, 2, and 3 in the window.

The steps 1, 2, & 3:
1) Click "Add" to find the game's .exe file, find it, then click "open," now you will now see the game's name in the box.

2) Under where it says "select prefered graphics processor for this program," you select the "High performance Nvidia processor"

3) Click "Apply," and then you're done.

Note for Step 2:
You might to change some of your other applications like web browser, Microsoft Office, and Windows Media Player to "integrated graphics" instead of the "High performance." The Intel HD graphics can play HD 1080p videos perfectly fine.

If you need pictures/screenshots on Steps 1, 2, & 3, I can provide them but let me know.

Edited by Unlicensedhitman - 07 Sep 2011 at 4:16pm
Digital Storm xm15 laptop
-15.6" (1366x768)
-Windows 7 HP 64-bit
-Intel Core i5 2.4 Ghz
-Nvidia GeForce 330GT 1GB + Intel HD w/ Nividia Optimus
-6GB DDR3 ram
-Intel 80GB SSD
-Intel Wireless N 6300
 Post Reply Post Reply