Post Date: 2022-11-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stupid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Graphics card issue
    Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 7:00am
GTX 1650.  I will start by saying that DS did the required troubleshooting with remote access. Still could not fix the issue. Probably close to two hours of uninstalling and reinstalling software/drivers.  They want me to send the card in for evaluation.  Here is the issue.  The Display Port on the card does not work. We tried a 1.2 cable and a 1.4 cable, nothing.  Both cables when connected to the MoBo Display Port for the on board graphics work fine. I get a good picture on my Asus PA248. When I asked about the QC testing protocol regarding the graphics card. It was thought that the testing was done via the HDMI port. I never received a solid conformation on that.  HDMI works fine, no issues.  I recommended to DS that in the future  QC protocols should includ all ports on the graphics card.  In any event I just don't want to pull the card, ship it in and have it stress tested. PIA. DS was very good in offering shipping both ways and sending me a shipping label.  Considering the efforts to fix the problem without resolution I am surprised that they just don't send me a new card. I asked....nope.  That would be the customer service I would expect from DS.   I'll just run HDMI and live with it.   So I will suggest that you check all the ports on the card when the new machine arrives. I will say that I am pleased with everything else. Very nice build quality. They even managed to mount my AIO cooler with the radiator hose barbs "down" in the vertical position. The Lumos build is very attractive package with the glass covers. Second machine from them  and probably not my last. I will specify that all ports on the graphics card are to be tested on my future builds.   
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:24am
I agree with you 100% on testing all the ports of a system. I don't care if it's a seldom used port. That's part of what you're paying for, the testing.

As for what DS did or did not offer that I can't comment on as much since I wasn't part of the conversation. If they didn't offer you an RMA where they send you a new GPU and place a hold on your card until you return the old GPU I'd like to think they had a specific reason for not doing so as that setup is pretty common with electronics in my experience (including with DS in the past).
Stupid View Drop Down

Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

I agree with you 100% on testing all the ports of a system. I don't care if it's a seldom used port. That's part of what you're paying for, the testing.

As for what DS did or did not offer that I can't comment on as much since I wasn't part of the conversation. If they didn't offer you an RMA where they send you a new GPU and place a hold on your card until you return the old GPU I'd like to think they had a specific reason for not doing so as that setup is pretty common with electronics in my experience (including with DS in the past).

They did offer that.  My position is that the tech did everything he could to fix it and could not. The policy of putting a hold for the amount on my credit card is wrong. They confirmed that there is something wrong and the card is defective. Send me a new card and they get the one back they couldn't fix. Hold on my cc.....ehhh,  no.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 2:30pm
They put a hold on your cc so the old card is returned.   I agree with that policy because not everyone is as honest as we are.    The other option several years ago was, if you didn’t want a hold on credit, was to send the defective card and when they received it the new one sent out.   Problem with that is the added time without a functioning graphics card.

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Nov 2022 at 2:31pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 1:31am
Originally posted by bprat22

They put a hold on your cc so the old card is returned.   I agree with that policy because not everyone is as honest as we are.    The other option several years ago was, if you didn’t want a hold on credit, was to send the defective card and when they received it the new one sent out.   Problem with that is the added time without a functioning graphics card.

This is my understanding as well.

Even if they've determined it's faulty it is still worth what they paid the retailer for, and they have to get their money back as well.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:02am
This is sadly a case of a few bad actors requiring stricter controls. The last time I remember getting a no-hold RMA swap was probably 2003ish. While I appreciate the frustration of the hold, from DS's perspective that hold is genuinely the only thing stopping a notable minority of people from scamming them for an extra card. I'm not saying you did anything wrong or your frustrations aren't justified, but I'd do the same thing if I was in DS's shoes. Too many years of dealing with arseholes on eBay, etc. Big%20Smile
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:33am
I have also done the above as bprat22 and Tidgxor have experienced. There is no charge on your card at all (unless the particular hardware does not reach DS so make sure it is registered and insured). Seems pretty reasonable and much quicker than sending the system back.

Good luck. Smile
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 3:44am
"Hold" on your CC have become common nowadays and as has been stated, a few bad actors ruin it for the vast majority of us honest folk.

Heck, I have seen gas stations put a set dollar hold on your CC when buying gas until actual transaction goes through.

Welcome to today. ;-)
Old Gamers Never Die!
 Post Reply Post Reply