FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graphics card killed my computer. What to do?

Post Date: 2019-03-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
breed25 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote breed25 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Graphics card killed my computer. What to do?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 1:38pm
I have the Vanquish 7 level 1, with an RX 580 graphics card installed. It's a 500w, so there's no problems there. It has worked PERFECTLY until last night. I was playing an older (about 9 years) game on max settings, when my computer shut down. I was not able to turn it back on. Today, I unhooked my RX 580 from the power supply, and the computer was able to turn on.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 2:05pm
Sounds like you have a defective graphics card.    Is there a warranty on the graphics card? If so, you’ll need to go thru them for replacement.

Just to be sure, plug your monitor into the video port on the motherboard, with Graphics card removed, and see if everything works.    Plug the card in again just to double check.   If it fails to turn on again, then a bad graphics card.

breed25 View Drop Down

Quote breed25 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Sounds like you have a defective graphics card.    Is there a warranty on the graphics card? If so, you’ll need to go thru them for replacement.

Just to be sure, plug your monitor into the video port on the motherboard, with Graphics card removed, and see if everything works.    Plug the card in again just to double check.   If it fails to turn on again, then a bad graphics card.

I went ahead and did this. With the graphics card removed, my system does turn on. The bootup screen will show, and then my monitor will go blank. It's not turning off, but displaying a "lit blackness".
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE
The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:18pm
So you're not progressing past the boot-up screen even when the monitor is hooked up to the integrated motherboard graphics and with the dedicated graphics card (RX 580) completely removed? 
breed25 View Drop Down

Quote breed25 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

So you're not progressing past the boot-up screen even when the monitor is hooked up to the integrated motherboard graphics and with the dedicated graphics card (RX 580) completely removed? 

yes
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:37am
It could be the pc is booting to Windows but the display is the problem.   To help tell, after booting, wait a couple of minutes and hit the caps lock, num lock buttons and see if they light up. If they do, you’re booting to Windows, justno display.   This is with graphics card completely removed.   

I would turn off the pc, unplug it, wait a minute or so, plug back in and restart.   Taking the graphics card in and out might’ve confused the motherboard settings.

After that, if still no display, try a different monitor cable if you have one and try a different graphics port if you have an adapter.    Then, call DS for help.    

breed25 View Drop Down

Quote breed25 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by bprat22

It could be the pc is booting to Windows but the display is the problem.   To help tell, after booting, wait a couple of minutes and hit the caps lock, num lock buttons and see if they light up. If they do, you’re booting to Windows, justno display.   This is with graphics card completely removed.   

I would turn off the pc, unplug it, wait a minute or so, plug back in and restart.   Taking the graphics card in and out might’ve confused the motherboard settings.

After that, if still no display, try a different monitor cable if you have one and try a different graphics port if you have an adapter.    Then, call DS for help.    

I did your second recommendation, and it actually worked once. After restarting it, it stopped working for me. Once I tried to do the second recommendation again, it didn't work. The num lock and caps lock buttons do light up, and I have tried another cable. It's looking like I'll need to call DS.

Edited by breed25 - 20 Mar 2019 at 4:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply