FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GTX 1080 temp on laptop

Post Date: 2018-03-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
d2b4m View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote d2b4m Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GTX 1080 temp on laptop
    Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 6:04pm
Hello!

I purchased a laptop from Digital Storm with the following specs:

GTX 1080
i7-6700

What I am noticing is that the graphics card is running at 90-91 degrees all the time in games.

I checked the fan settings in the Control Center where the Fan Speed setting is set to "Overclock". That and "Maximum" seem to do the same thing when running games, just blast the fans as high as they can go. This thing sounds like a damn jet engine!

Even with the fans at full blast the graphics card is running at 90-91 according to the GPU overclock software that came with the laptop and I have downloaded a few other temp programs and they read the same. I have not overclocked the GTX 1080 at all.

Any ideas if this temperature is normal? It has been this way for a while but system seems perfectly stable, no issues really. Just loud and hot :)

I tested my processor but that all seems fine. RealTemp score was 1680 whatever that means. Processor stays around 37 to 38 when not in game and 59-67 while gaming.

Not sure what other information I should provide. The laptop is always plugged in of course. Room temp is 69-70.

Is 90 degrees normal on the laptop 1080 GTX?

Thanks all!

Edited by d2b4m - 18 Mar 2018 at 10:52pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:01am
Laptops do run hot but 90’s might be a few degrees more than normal.    Did you check temps when it was new to compare ?

It could be dust buildup in the fans and vents.    Laptops don’t take much dust to effect temps considering the tight spaces, etc.   Get a can of air and blow out the vents, fans, removing bottom cover if possible.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:28am
My first idea was as bprat22 stated, check air flow by making sure all is clean. Make sure there is space around it for air to move in and out. Good luck. Big%20Smile
d2b4m View Drop Down

Quote d2b4m Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Laptops do run hot but 90’s might be a few degrees more than normal.    Did you check temps when it was new to compare ?

It could be dust buildup in the fans and vents.    Laptops don’t take much dust to effect temps considering the tight spaces, etc.   Get a can of air and blow out the vents, fans, removing bottom cover if possible.

Yes it has run this way since new. I messaged the tech support team and they told me it was normal. EVERYTHING I read online and forums say otherwise though. I wish I would have pushed back more when I purchased it or maybe even sent it back to have them re-evaluate it. 90 just seems very hot to me.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 2:10am
Most of what I read about gaming laptops, and experience on this forum, is temps running in the 80’s to 90’s , where a similar desktop would be 60’s to 70’s.    I don’t game on a laptop but would also hate to see temps that high.   I think it’s the nature of a laptop with their marginal cooling.   When you compare the much larger coolers on a desktop’s cpu and graphics card to the much smaller ones in a laptop it kinda makes sense, but would still concern me.

IBS-victim View Drop Down

Quote IBS-victim Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 6:29am
I have a DS equinox with 1070 and it doesn’t get that hot.
My CPU on the other hand does. i7 8750h. It seems to run at full speed all the time. Is that normal? I tried changing the power setting and that didn’t work either. As soon as I turn on the PC the fan is running at 100%. I check the processes and they seem normal. Check for a virus got nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply