FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GTX 570 or Radeon hd 6970

Post Date: 2011-03-25

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fil1p View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
  Quote fil1p Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GTX 570 or Radeon hd 6970
    Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:48pm
Hi guys,
 I have narrowed down my choice to a gtx 570 or a hd 6970.
Which one is better? I will be using a 22 in. 1080p display.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm
sli 570 for power/performance point of view at that res.
Back to Top
fil1p View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
  Quote fil1p Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 7:01pm
i cant go sli id be close to or over the limit for how much my psu can take, i only have 750w, plus I am kinda on a budget. So i want a single card, I read tons of benchmarks, but it is a really close call for me. I only will use 1, max 2 monitors, so I don't care for amd's ability for a gazillion monitors. However I am currently in favor of the 6970, if you think the gtx is better, please tell me why exactly.

Edited by fil1p - 25 Mar 2011 at 7:01pm
Back to Top
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 14 Aug 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1514
  Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 7:06pm
gtx is more user friendly, has better updates and supports cuda encoding.
it also uses more power (no more than 750w but still) and costs more
the amd 6970 is a better card without a insane aa with insane aa its even. it uses less power and it has a more advanced control pannel allowing you to tweak more but its also more complex to use. It also is cheaper. They update drivers frequently to optimize for new games.
The updates occasionally break things where you will need to roll back the driver.

thats a few pros and cons.

edit: also with the 6970 you get more dedicated memory 2gb opposed to 1.2gb and that will make it more future proof with games graphics getting better they need more memory.

Edited by maxyme - 25 Mar 2011 at 7:07pm
Steam:pcmaster160
Back to Top
venom View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 0
  Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 7:52pm
I'd go for the 6970.  But there's always the 6990, which should be fine on a good 750w (Corsair, Seasonic).
Back to Top
jacko View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
  Quote jacko Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 5:52pm
I was going to jettison my Haf 922 rig in favor of simplifying and freeing space with a DS laptop. After running the numbers on a DS laptop that would give me similar desktop capability, broke the bank and discovered that I can't live with out my Truck(as Steve Jobs refers as desktops).

I am keeping the truck. My AMD 5570 GPU is not cutting it anymore. I need a GPU that handles multimedia well and some light gaming. I am looking at the Nvidia 560 and the AMD 6950 with 2GB. Leaning towards the AMD. Pro and or con?

BTW: I will need a laptop anyways by summers end and have narrowed it down to XM17 Level 2. What a bargain and no crapware hopefully. Why does DS keep this bargain a secret? A MacBook Pro 17 starts at $2499.

Back to Top
fil1p View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
  Quote fil1p Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 8:17pm
Well, I myself had trouble deciding between the gtx 570 and a 6970, but now I am leaning towards a gtx 570. However my question is a bit more becasue  tricky cuz both the cards perform similairly. However jacko if you go with the 6950, you will get better performance, because you can flash the 6950 to a 6970 (6950 and 6970 are the same card, except the 6950 has some shaders, ect locked) if you flash it you can unlock them to the performance of a 6970. Also I am not sure but I think the 6950 is a bit more powerfull (find some benchmarks to compare the two)
Back to Top
jacko View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 31
  Quote jacko Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 10:28pm
I will go with the 6950 2GB.

I have a 3-4 yr 650 watt Antec TruePower power supply I salvaged from a previous build. The current one has been revised, so I hope my PS will be compatible.

I was advised that when upgrading to a significantly new GPU, that you should wipe the HD clean to avoid previous remanent video card drivers that could conflict with the current one. Any truth to that?

Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 2:19am
Keep in mind ocing the 6950 to get 6970 performance is not that easy and it will null your gpu warranty.

As for wiping your HD, if you are talking about formanting, then whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about.

all you do is uninstall the gpu drivers and use Driver Sweeper to get rid of anything left over.

then you install the new drivers.

I like to uninstall, run sweeper and then install drivers in safe mode.

Edited by DST4ME - 30 Mar 2011 at 2:20am
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.1323242 seconds.