FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gtx 970 ssc heat/ fans issue...

Post Date: 2016-10-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jimjb66 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jimjb66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: gtx 970 ssc heat/ fans issue...
    Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 3:24pm
Please help ... received my V5L2 back in March, and the GPU jumps right to 80+ Celsius, when I play high end games. I`ll start one of the games listed below... after a few mins and those fans kick in and are loud as all hell. the division , Crazy Machines 3 , Crysis 3, Unreal Tournament {NEW} and Everybody`s gone to the Rapture.   anyone have any ideas ????   

Edited by jimjb66 - 25 Oct 2016 at 3:26pm
information is critical. keep it accurate.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 4:40pm
Starting with general suggestions, is the system clean of dirt, lint etc.? No new magazine. piece of paper or book on a vent? Could be that it is not getting enough air. If all clean  and free of obstructions please tell us the gpu you have so that smarter members can give you better ideas. Good luck.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 25 Oct 2016 at 4:41pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:07pm
I would think the 970 SSC would run a few degrees cooler than that and quieter than reference cards, assuming you have the ACX 3.0 cooler.   But, every rig and situation is different.   Check that the case front and rear fans are running.

80c isn't bad and perfectly safe, but the card does start ramping up the rpm around that temp.

After checking for dust like hoserator said, remove the side panel and see if the thermals drop. If they do then your case just can't get all the heat out.   That card with dual fans does dump the heat into the case..

My MSI 970 gamer 4 with dual fans is very quiet under load and never goes above 75c. My case is the ODE 600t with larger fans. It also isn't overclocked as high.

I'd be more concerned about the noise if it's unreasonable. Temp isn't bad.

jimjb66 View Drop Down

Quote jimjb66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 7:42pm
Thanks for responding .... i am not overclocked as far as i know. i asked for no o/c on card and board when i ordered. all fans are running w/no obstructions and/or dust build-up. high end games just a few mins in .... the fans roar. i tried the EVGA X precision and curved the fan speed, to go to 30% ... but that did`nt work.   wow... when they kick in they are loud.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 2:20am
Without knowing which card you have it's tough to say.   The SSC card is overclocked from the factory. You can use Precision to check the clock speed under load , compare it to a stock setting of that card and adjust it if you want.

Overclocking does drive the temps up but the fans shouldn't be excessively loud .
Some cards are louder than others. Noise is so subjective I can't say what's normal for you.   
jimjb66 View Drop Down

Quote jimjb66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:54pm
its a GTX 970... purchased with the Vanquish 5 Level 2 last Feb. Hav`nt used it much due to illness.   do you know of a good load test.... and the stock settings ?   i can find things online but i`d rather trust you. thanks for replying.
jimjb66 View Drop Down

Quote jimjb66 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by jimjb66

its a GTX 970... purchased with the Vanquish 5 Level 2 last Feb. Hav`nt used it much due to illness.   do you know of a good load test.... and the stock settings ?   i can find things online but i`d rather trust you. thanks for replying.
   also... can i use EVGA tweak ???
 Post Reply Post Reply