Gulftown, six-core Intel comes in 2010

Post Date: 2009-03-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gulftown, six-core Intel comes in 2010
    Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 5:32am
Gulftown, six-core Intel comes in 2010

The next generation refreshed Nehalem core, which is part of the Westmere 32nm generation, codenamed Gulftown, will come in 2010. Intel was not sharing many details but they were quite public about the fact that such a CPU is in development and that it will come in the future.

This CPU naturally supports hyperthreading and in Task Manager you will see 12 hyperthreaded cores listed in the Task Manager.

Clarksdale 32nm with 45nm graphics is the first to come to market, and this CPU should end up in production in Q4 2009, with possible shipments in Q1 2010. Gulftown six-core CPUs come later, and they will come with a few new instructions and generally slightly faster performance per core, if you compare them to 45nm Nehalem generation cores.

hotcakes22 View Drop Down

Quote hotcakes22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 5:16pm
Hi DST4ME and whoever else who may have the answer,

I have a question. It seems that in recent years core speed has become somewhat less important, and number of cores has become more important. Games seem to be catching up to this trend, perhaps slowly.

Do you think that in the near future of gaming, the main issue CPU-wise will be whether one has a 4 (or more) vs. 2 core computer , and will take precedence for a while over invididual core speed?

Perhaps number of cores will keep shooting up rapidly, and number of cores will eventually and permanently matter just as much as core speed...?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 5:33pm
hotcakes22, about 2003 intel wanted to put out p4 4.0GHz, at some point they realized that they have hit a barrier where the 4.0GHz put out too much heat and it was not possible to do that, thus from that point everybody started looking at multiple cores instead.

what you have to remember is that the speed of the cores is always important but unfortunately it has barriers. Multi-core I'm sure is the way for near future and talks of 100 cores has been around for a year now.

so soon enough programmers will start taking advantage of multi-cores and it will play a much bigger part then it is now.

right now the i7 platform has shown improvement in games and other things vs the dual counter part

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Mar 2009 at 5:34pm

Quote hotcakes22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 5:54pm

Thanks. Part of me is wondering whether my Q9300 at 2.5 GHz will have more lasting value than computer parts often do, because game developers are now starting to take advantage of more than 2 cores.

The 6 core processor seems to be perhaps something I will upgrade to in a few years.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 6:05pm
in a few years six core will be history I'm sure we are going to be at 8 cores or more by that time
tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 7:32pm
This sounds pretty awesome, only a year away!
Statman11 View Drop Down

Quote Statman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:40am
im with ya there hotcakes22, i have a Intel Q9300. I enjoy mine. I don't plan on upgrading my CPU for at least a few years.

Quote hotcakes22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 1:21pm
Hopefully the Q9300 will get the job done for a while.

Any ideas/guesses on the core speed of this six-core processor?
 Post Reply Post Reply