FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

H20 cooling

Post Date: 2013-01-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
davissc9 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote davissc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: H20 cooling
    Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 5:25pm
Ok so I'm sure this will be a stupid question to many of you, but the computer I'm going to have DS build next month will be my first foray into the world of PC gaming, so I'm not all that informed on everything yet. My question for you all regards the DS cooling solutions. I'm building a Hailstorm with a 3770k and stage 1 OC and am torn between either the H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler or the AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance. Some people have told me the Noctua is just as good as the liquid cooler and will last longer while others have told me that the H2O cooling solution is my best bet.

So that brings me to ask you all a few things about these two:

1. What maintenance could I expect with either?
2. I know it's called an "H2O" cooler, but is it really just water DS fills it with, and, if not, what is it?
3. Is there a risk of leaking with the H2O cooler and how likely is it? If it DOES leak, will it damage my computer?
4. Is there any difference in the durability and longevity of these components longterm. That is, how long will they both effectively cool before they begin to degrade or wear to the point of being ineffective or breaking?
5. LASTLY, any other pros and cons of each along with which you'd recommend. For pros and cons I'm largely thinking of things like noise, effectiveness, etc.

Thanks guys!
DomTheBomb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 5:46pm
1) Both coolers are zero maintenance. That means all you would have to do would be to clean the dust out of the fans and radiators every so often.

2) The closed loop liquid cooling systems don't use water, they use some sort of thermally conductive fluid that doesn't evaporate.

3) There is always the risk of those coolers leaking, but they are very reliable. I would guess that it is extremely unlikely for leaks to occur. IF it did leak, it would probably damage the motherboard, and maybe the video card if the fluid leaks onto it.

4) If nothing fails (fans, pumps), they would both cool effectively until you replace the computer entirely, as long as you keep proper maintenance of the parts.

5) From what I've heard, the Vortex unit cools more effectively, while the Noctua is more reliable. Haven't heard much about noise, but since they both use two 120mm fans the noise will probably be the same.
Once again, it's not very likely that either system would fail, but since the Noctua unit is just fans and metal fins as opposed to a pump, fluid, radiator, and fans, there is much less that can go wrong with the Noctua cooler. Additionally, a failure of the Vortex unit could be more catastrophic to your system.

I would still recommend the Vortex unit since the probability of failure is so low, and the cooling is better. However it's really up to you if you think that even the small probability of failure is worth it.
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
i7 3720QM (2.6GHz/3.6GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:57am
The Vortex 240, as shipped, can be noisy because it comes with the fans on high.  If you go with it, ask DS to install the resistor wire pac that slows the fans to medium for alot less noise.  The Noctua and the Vortex 240 on low to medium fan rpm are about the same noise level from what I have read and others here have reported.  The Noctua migh be a little quieter. 

davissc9 View Drop Down

Quote davissc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 8:25am
Originally posted by bprat22

The Vortex 240, as shipped, can be noisy because it comes with the fans on high.  If you go with it, ask DS to install the resistor wire pac that slows the fans to medium for alot less noise.  The Noctua and the Vortex 240 on low to medium fan rpm are about the same noise level from what I have read and others here have reported.  The Noctua migh be a little quieter. 

How would you say the vortex's cooling on medium compares to the noctua? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like a lot of people are saying the noctua is just as effective at cooling, quiet, and doesn't risk damaging my system making this seem like sort of a no-brainer.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 8:34am
The Noctua d14 is always my pick. Drooling  It's quiet, cools great and leaves little to go wrong.  A big block of cooling fins is pretty reliable. 

As far as cooling, the Vortex 240 on medium settings and the Noctua will both keep the cpu safe.   The Vortex is popular because its alot smaller in the mobo cavity and pretty relaible.  The small sealed units like Vortex, H100, etc are here to stay. 

I agree with your second sentence.   Why risk it when the Noctua does it all.

I'm trying to find the bench tests that compare the two.  When I find it I'll post here.

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Jan 2013 at 8:36am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 11:29am
We started to wire the Vortex fans on the ODE to the fan control knob on the top of the system. This will allow you to control fan speeds.
davissc9 View Drop Down

Quote davissc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Alex

We started to wire the Vortex fans on the ODE to the fan control knob on the top of the system. This will allow you to control fan speeds.

Getting the opinion of an employee would be pretty valuable. What are your thoughts on the vortex and noctua for a stage 1 oc of either a 3770k or a 3930k (I haven't decided on which processor I want to go with yet)?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 11:53am
Stage 1 is fine for Vortex or Noctua (both CPUs).

I prefer the Vortex, it does not get in the way of memory modules like the Noctua due to it's sheer size and does not put any stress on the motherboard due to it being not being as big and heavy as the Noctua.
davissc9 View Drop Down

Quote davissc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 12:03pm

Stage 1 is fine for Vortex or Noctua (both CPUs).

I prefer the Vortex, it does not get in the way of memory modules like the Noctua due to it's sheer size and does not put any stress on the motherboard due to it being not being as big and heavy as the Noctua.

I appreciate your input, but I do have one last follow-up. In your experience how likely are things like leaks for the vortex. I'm sure it's low but what with this being my first foray into liquid cooling the whole water+electronics concept takes some adjusting. Also since the liquid used by the vortex is a thermal liquid, is it actually damaging to components? I know pure water does nothing, it's only the reaction with ions that can cause damage, so I was just curious if the liquid you guys use poses less of a risk if leaks occur.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 12:04pm

Not a bad idea, Alex.  It doesn't do a whole lot with ODE's slower fans but the faster fans on the Vortex  rads would make a difference.   
mgmetro View Drop Down

Quote mgmetro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 12:56pm

"We started to wire the Vortex fans on the ODE to the fan control knob on the top of the system. This will allow you to control fan speeds."

Alex, I recently received my ODE and was wondering if DS can provide the instructions so that I could connect my Vortex fans to the fan control.  I do have the resistor pack which does reduce the speed and fan volume but I would like to be able to vary the fans when needed.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 4:32pm
@davissc9, the fluid used is non-conductive and should have no issues. The chance of a leak is very, very low. The Vortex is a zero-maintain system, so there is nothing you have to do.

@mgmetro, sure! Corsair has a great guide which shows what it exactly is. You just need to route the fan wires to the fan controller's inputs on the chassis. Here is their guide: http://www.corsair.com/blog/how-to-identify-your-graphite-series-600t-fan-controller-cables/
 Post Reply Post Reply