FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HAF 932 Case Concerns

Post Date: 2009-03-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
keithwc View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote keithwc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HAF 932 Case Concerns
    Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 10:30pm

I received my new PC 2 days ago and I am absolutely lovin' it!  Before I get too far into this post, let me begin by saying that I'll have my review and pics posted sometime in the next day or two.  Anyway... on to my questions...

I have two questions about my case (HAF 932 case).  The first is easy in that it concerns the top two LED indicator lights (Power and HDD activity).  The HDD activity light on my PCs in the past are normally blinking with activity, but this one doesn't.  It is no big deal (think very minor and almost not worth mentioning), but they are very bright to begin with and I didn't know if this was normal (basically acting like 2 power lights).

The 2nd one is more in depth a tad:  The HAF 932 case (using the Stage 2 Air cooling method) was upgraded with the airflow upgrade chassis with antec blue LED performance fans (up to 6 fans) along with the default blue lighting.  This option only seemed to upgrade just the one side fan with 4 smaller fans, but none of the others.  I was totally expecting the front red fan to be blue with this upgrade, but it wasn't so that is a little disppointing.  Anyway... when I was using the configurator to design my system it showed (and currently shows) the following image for the HAF 932 case:

As you can see from the image above, it shows air coming from the front and also air coming in from the top.  The front fan on my system is blowing in as designed, but the top is blowing "out" (and not "in" as the image shows above).  I can't help but wonder which is correct?  I can think of 3 options here:  either 1) I am misreading the image above (which is always possible), 2) the image above is incorrect and the top fan should indicate air blowing out or 3) the top fan on my system was built wrong and it should have been blowing in.  If it is in fact blowing the wrong way, would you recommend that I switch it (I haven't even looked yet to see how easy/hard it would be) or leave it alone?  Since I am using only air to cool the system (the Stage 2 Air upgrade is great by the way), I want to make sure I am able to give the system the air it needs.

Anyway, sorry for the length... you can blame it on my many years as a Help Desk Tech Support person and I got in the habit of making sure the users got all the details they needed (even though they would always call back and ask the same questions).

Thanks for the help as always!

e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 10:42pm
First it looks like the fans on the top should be blowing in so I would say that yours are backwards.  As far as the front fan being red, I would have thought they would have changed that for you to blue since you got the upgraded lighting package. I did not get the fan upgrade but I did buy the blue light for the front so that all lights are blue, I got it from Cool Master, I just think they made a mistake on yours. I would call them Monday and ask about it.  
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 10:42pm
I am aware of the HDD light issue as it was discussed in the following thread:

Someone else will have to help with the other issues.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 10:46pm
Also take a look at this picture, it shows the fans blowing in on the top, look at the direction of the blades.

keithwc View Drop Down

Quote keithwc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 10:51pm
Very interesting information definitely (all of the above info)!  Thanks also for the HDD light topic... I missed that one somehow).  I will contact DS on Monday to ask about these issues and get their thoughts.  Thanks big time for the quick responses!
e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 10:54pm
Onkel_Ken, which way does the top fan blow on your HAF 932?
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 11:12pm
The top fan blows in on mine as well as the front and side.  Only the rear is an exhaust that blows out.

Reference the image above, the standard 932 comes with 230mm fans on top, front, and side that blows into the case and a 140mm that blows out the rear as exhaust.  The picture above has two fans on top which isn't the standard configuration.

Another little quirk will occur if you get the internal media reader.  If you get it with the HAF 932 case 2 of the USB ports on the HAF front panel will not work.  But you do get one back on the media reader itself.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 07 Mar 2009 at 11:15pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 12:55am
is your top fan a 230mm fan?

any chance you can give a pic of the inside of your rig while its on?

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Mar 2009 at 12:55am
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:01am

Well Keith, I would actually prefer the top fans blowing out on my case.  If you look at most of the top high end cases, the top fans are for blowing out.  Think of it this way.  Your side fans blowing in, cool just aboiut every square inch of your mobo as well as GPU area.  The front massive 230mm fan cools the hard drives as well as provideing more air to the back of the GPU.  If your top fans were intaking more air into the case, that leaves a lonely ole 120mm at the back to exhaust all of the hot air.  with all the fans blowing in and only 1 blowing out, seems you would be removing less heat than you should.  Not gonn matter too much with all the cool air coming in i guess, but you are much better off having it blow outwards to eliminate the heat generated from the components.  I would imagine tempss would be better with outwards on the top.  Will give better circulation of fresh air into the case, with heat being expelled out the top.  With the top blowing in i would think you would get slightly high temps. 

Maybe im wrong, but i don't think so in this case.  Like i said, look at other top tier cases and see how they go.  I would leave yours like they are.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 1:59am
actually I think we did a test here while back where somebody compared their temps with the top fan blowing in and top fan blowing out, blowing in got a the better temps but the difference was very little.
Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 2:02am
I stand corrected then..lol

Either way, with the air flow the HAF has, i don't really think its worth the hassle for him to remove and reverse them.  If his temps ae fine, he's GTG.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 3:06am

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Mar 2009 at 3:07am
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 11:59am
On my HAF the front and side blow in (both 230mm); top (230mm) and back (140mm) blow out.  Temps fine.   My HDD light is fine and only comes on during activity.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 12:09pm
my top fan blows out also,    maybe they changed  how they fans blow  since that pic of the fans airflow  was done
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 12:13pm
question  do you by chance have the stage 1 water cooling ?  if so I bet this has something to do with the air flow not matching the pic   if you have stage 1 like I do  the rear fan was replaced with the radiator and its cooling fan, figure this is the reason for the top fan to blow out  possibility anyway .
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 12:16pm
On my TJ9 I have the two top 120's blowing out.  I've tried both ways and the temps are lower with the top fans exhausting out the top.  I'm sure the location you have your rig will make the difference whether it lowers your temps, or not.  My rig is under my office desk and confined within its own exhaust, so exhausting the air out the top makes the difference for my specific set-up.  
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 12:26pm
I would say that testing here is not always going to replicate your specific scenario, especially for this situation.  Your location is going to make a difference.  Because people have tested this both ways in their locations doesn't mean that you'll get the same results.  The good news is, the fans easily pop out and all you need to do is invert them and see what result you get.  I have mine blowing up for the same reason HM has his blowing up.  Hot air rises.

Edited by EdH63 - 08 Mar 2009 at 12:29pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 2:52pm
I do want to give an official response:

It depends on your configuration honestly on how the fans will push or pull air. Our testing staff monitors temperatures because we have set idle and load limits, and when they don't reach their marks, the testing technician will reverse the fan and fine-tune the machine.

@keithwc, are you having overheating issues? If not you don't need to worry about this at all. Your system has been designed and tested to work well the way it shipped from our facility. Also, in regards to the HDD LED light issue, we are aware of this situation, and Cooler Master is sending us replacement top modules which we can send to customers to resolve it. Please give us a call on Monday so we can take care of you.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 3:14pm
Alex to the rescue again!!

Ermm
keithwc View Drop Down

Quote keithwc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 4:59pm

Thanks to literally everybody for their quick replies!  I may be a new guy in the DS family and these forums, but I can definately say that these forums really rock!  Tons of info can be received from anybody at a moments notice from people who have very similar (if not the same) setups!

sidenote here:  speaking of cooling, I am definitely glad that I had DS replace the side fan with 4 smaller fans (with the fan upgrade option).  When comparing the all of the fans with the system on, it really seems to me that I get more air than the 1 big fan.

Anyway, sidenote over... back the the point:

@DST4ME - I know I am late in responding, but... I don't have a pic of the top with the system on, but here's one with it off in case it helps:
HAF932%20Case%20-%20Looking%20up%20at%20the%20top%20fan%20with%20the%20system%20powered%20off.

@Mezzeron, @harleyman, @edH63 - All of you make excellant points about the fan blowing out and hot air rises.  Since I am not having any overheating issues at the moment, I will keep the fan where it is.  But it is good to know that it easily changable.

@Htoler - I am using the Air stage 2 cooling (the cooler master v8).

@Alex - I am currently not having any overheating issues at all yet.  Although I still need to do more testing, but at the moment things appear fine.  If overheating does become a problem, I can always switch the fan to see if that helps.  Also thanks for the official update on the HDD light issue.  I will be calling on Monday to get on the list for a replacement.

Thanks again everybody for your information and help - all were extremely helpful!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 5:51pm
I just love the HAF 932 case and the pictures posted of it with the cover off.  Great case that is a real conversation piece when people drop by.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 7:38pm
THX keithwc, I was trying to see if you have 6 led fans or not. honestly I got nothing to add to what Alex said, cause he said it all.

the case is setup for best cooling, if you reverse it the most difference you might see is like 2c-4c degrees which as I stated earlier is nothing.

If your system temps are below 85c then you are good to go and should not worry about which way the fan it
keithwc View Drop Down

Quote keithwc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 11:12pm
DST4ME, Actually the 6 LED fans you mention are another thing that I am going to ask DS tomorrow (Monday) when I call them.  The configuration upgrade option I purchased says "up to 6 fans" so I am not sure how many I should have.  The rear fan is blue LED and they definately switched out the big side fan for 4 smaller ones that are blue LED also, but that's it.  The front fan is still red and I was expecting this would be changed to blue also since I got the upgrade and it specificaly stated blue LED.  It may not in the list of fans that they will switch with the upgrade, but I was expecting it.  Other then that, I have no other LED fans to speak of.  I'm lovin' the case either way, but I have to admit that it is a little confusing to be for sure as to what the case was gonna look like once received.  I have read that a lot of others were also confused about the red fan on the front and wasn't expecting it.  You posted a link in one of your other messages (in a different topic) about a replacement fan for it so I know there are options in case I do want to switch the front fan out somewhere down the line.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 12:44am
Perhaps the tech forgot to change the front one or something
keithwc View Drop Down

Quote keithwc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 5:23pm
I just got off the phone with DS concerning my questions stated here so I thought I'd post the update for anybody who is curious...

Concerning the front fan still being red even with the fan upgrade option:  the fan upgrade that I purchased said up to 6 fans, my case only had 5 fans swapped out (4 on the side and 1 on the back).  He said that DS normally does not swap out the red fan, but they offered to send me one out.  The thing is the front fan is current a 230mm fan and the one they are sending me (and what they would have switched out with) is a 120mm fan, but blue LED.  I took them up on the offer because at least I will have the option.  If anybody else is wanting the red front fan swapped out and they don't mind the smaller size, it sounds like it would be recommended to request that the front red fan be swapped out as well in the configurator.

Concerning the HDD activity light on front being constantly on:  they are going to send me the replacement top module that Alex referred to above.  The bad news is that it requires A LOT of work and rewiring to complete and replace.  They are going to send me out the replacement so I can see just how hard it is to replace.  Even though it is minor, it would be nice to have it functioning.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 5:31pm
I have a thread here about getting a 230mm blue fan for the haf
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 8:15pm
DST4ME,

Where? 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 1:24am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the update DST4ME.
pwcorgi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote pwcorgi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 5:43pm
I just wanna say that I love the HAF 932 industrial look. I only have to decide whether I want blue, red or green lighting when the time comes.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

Thanks for the update DST4ME.

My pleasure sir
Caymus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caymus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2009 at 11:49pm

I have the tripple rad radiator with the top fan blowing out. temps are great. Also my box sits under my desk in a defined space similiar to what another posted above. Pics show this in my review.

What do / did you mean by a the header was faulty HD?

keithwc View Drop Down

Quote keithwc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 4:42pm
Very kewl to hear harleyman...I get the replacement from DS this week so it is encouraging to note that it shouldn't be that bad of a process.  And yes, the HAF does have a lot of working room which is so nice!
bassacwards View Drop Down

Quote bassacwards Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 4:10pm
Hey everyone.

I am just building the HAF 932 with the V8 cooler on an Asus P6TD Deluxe with an i7 950. Quick question for you, did anyone power the HAF 932 fans from the motherboard plugs to take advantage of any BIOS temp control automation? Or are you using PSU plugs and maybe a fan controller?

I appreciate any insight into the best way to power those bad boys.
i7 950
Asus P6TD deluxe
Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Series DDR3 6GB
Stuka1939 View Drop Down

Quote Stuka1939 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2010 at 12:50pm
Just curious if anyone who has the HAF 932 has had any of their blue led front case panel lights go out; either the power or the hard drive activity? I have had my HAF 932 case for a week and the power blue LED went out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>