FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HAF in a box?

Post Date: 2008-12-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
unbalanced View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote unbalanced Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HAF in a box?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 1:37pm
Does anyone else have a desk where your PC sits out of sight in a cabinet? The one under my desk is big enough (22" high x 21" deep x 31" wide) that I can get the HAF932 case in there (sideways), but once I close the doors I know it's going to get mighty warm in there unless I add some venting fans.

I have to close those doors to minimize noise and to keep out the ~1.2 pounds a week of dog hair that my Siberian Husky sheds. We're talking tumbleweeds here. :)

There are two cabling holes in the top front and top back of the desk that I can put some fans in front of (one pointing in, one pointing out) to keep the air moving. But how can I power those fans if they're outside of the case? I seem to recall seeing a PSU years ago with external plug ports, but maybe I'm misremembering.

1) Anyone have any suggestions, howto's?

2) Is it dumb to go with the HAF case in a situation where it's going to live inside a larger box with just this limited incoming airflow? Would any other case be better?

3) Is liquid cooling pretty much a must-do in this situation? I will probably be asking DSO to overclock the CPU and memory of whatever I end up buying.

Thanks again, everyone!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 1:43pm
I have a husky, my PC is in the open, I vacuum it once a week cause that hair is not playing around.

putting your case in a closed area is just a bad idea period.

so:

1. keep your case out in the open and give it as much airflow as possible.

2. actually HAF is your best bet cause it has the best air flow, unless you want to LC the whole system.

3. don't OC the memory, LC the CPU and GPU, if you gonna LC, but it will cost you an extra $$$
jtspectra2 View Drop Down

Quote jtspectra2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 5:23pm
liquid cooling the GPU's is stupid. makes upgrading a pain
Q9650 @ 4.2Ghz( Liquid Cooled), 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3, GTX280 SLI, VRaptor,HAF 932
 Post Reply Post Reply