FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard drive light stays solid

Post Date: 2009-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mam1744 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mam1744 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hard drive light stays solid
    Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:08pm
hey all ,

recently installed windows 7 on my machine went with a lean install on a fresh drive ...windows install went great ..  old drive was a 10k raptor 300 gig  drive..new drive is a 10 k raptor 300 gig ... i plug in myold raptor to get some files and will probably use it for storage...

what i did notice is the drive access light stay's  solidly lit now... periodically the drive when i would use it as a boot drive would do the same thing .. i go a week  it would stay solid then the following week if would flash....

is the drive going bad ???? or is there  a setting i need to adress

thanks

marc
it's better to be lucky then smart
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:20pm
There a number of things could point to, however, considering you've just installed a new OS, it could very well be that W7 is just indexing and it's taking a long time to do it.  Other issues could be wiring, bad HDD, multiple tasks in the background running, antivirus program, spyware program.  Go to your Reliability and Performance program and look to see if you have an uncommonly high spike of activity.  Open Task manager and see what programs are running and if they are legitimately active.

Edited by EdH63 - 16 Nov 2009 at 12:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply