FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard drive space

Post Date: 2018-02-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
death2consoles View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote death2consoles Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hard drive space
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:47pm
Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted since I got my PC. Everything has been running smoothly, absolutely loving not playing on very low graphics lol.

Anyway for my question, my hard drive is full thanks to my Steam library. I was wondering if/how I would go about getting more space? I have the Vanquish 5 level 1, with the "Digital Storm VANQUISH 5 (Black Edition)" chassis. Would I just need to pop something in, or buy a new case or what? Also the chassis is the case right?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong area

I don't know how to use spoiler tags heres my stuff;

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VANQUISH 5 (Black Edition)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz (Codename Skylake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel H110 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 2133MHz
Power Supply: 500W EVGA/Corsair
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Edited by death2consoles - 21 Feb 2018 at 5:11pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 2:00am
You can just buy another HDD, slide it in to an empty HDD sled/holder and then run a SATA cable from HDD to SATA port on motherboard, then plug in an empty power connector from the power supply.   Should be extras within the cabling.   One psu cable probably has 2 or 3 plugs chained into the same cable.

You’ll probably have to go into Disc Management and format to initialize it.   Some drives might be formatted already, but still need to be initialized. Right click it’s box in Disc Management and select from menu.

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Feb 2018 at 2:02am

Quote death2consoles Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by bprat22

You can just buy another HDD, slide it in to an empty HDD sled/holder and then run a SATA cable from HDD to SATA port on motherboard, then plug in an empty power connector from the power supply.   Should be extras within the cabling.   One psu cable probably has 2 or 3 plugs chained into the same cable.

You’ll probably have to go into Disc Management and format to initialize it.   Some drives might be formatted already, but still need to be initialized. Right click it’s box in Disc Management and select from menu.

Shew I guess thats not too bad, just the technical terms a little over my head lol. Will any HDD work or is there strict compatibility for my case and/or set up?

Also I think it was you who helped me last time, you really are a trooper lol, thanks man!

Edited by death2consoles - 22 Feb 2018 at 3:25pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:56pm
My pleasure.    You can use any brand HDD. Western Digital Black isn’t the cheapest but is one of the most reliable.     
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 5:02am
Yeh, jargon!   

The good news is that when you get in there, it will be pretty obvious what goes where from looking at your current wiring. Like bprat said, you will probably see that the cables have extra plugs bundled together, perhaps with cable ties. You may have to clip one of those to loosen up a plug to go where you need it. Not too hard!

Good luck.

Quote death2consoles Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by bprat22

My pleasure.    You can use any brand HDD. Western Digital Black isn’t the cheapest but is one of the most reliable.     

I was thinking about ordering the same type it came with for simplicity sakes, I assume that will work and/or be the easiest for me to install lol

Originally posted by Cretae

Yeh, jargon!   

The good news is that when you get in there, it will be pretty obvious what goes where from looking at your current wiring. Like bprat said, you will probably see that the cables have extra plugs bundled together, perhaps with cable ties. You may have to clip one of those to loosen up a plug to go where you need it. Not too hard!

Good luck.

I sure hope so! Your confidence in me is quite the moral booster! But I would say expect to hear back from me about it   

Again thanks to both of you!

Edited by death2consoles - 26 Feb 2018 at 8:18pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 12:34am
In my system (Oct 2014 build), the empty cages were prewired. All I did was insert the hdd in one and a ssd in another and voila. Before you start snipping away, check to make sure the cages are not wired already.
Smile
jaydebnilson View Drop Down

Quote jaydebnilson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:53am
"my hard drive is full thanks to my Steam library. I was wondering if/how I would go about getting more space?"

Why don't you try to free more space, there are a lot of programs for this, I am using DuplicateFilesDeleter. Cheers
elijahbrock View Drop Down

Quote elijahbrock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by jaydebnilson

"my hard drive is full thanks to my Steam library. I was wondering if/how I would go about getting more space?"

Why don't you try to free more space, there are a lot of programs for this, I am using DuplicateFilesDeleter. Cheers

Yes this works, thnx
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 8:50am
You can buy external Seagate 8TB enclosures from Amazon and Newegg for $149.99.  Then simply open the enclosure when you get it, remove the hard drive, and install said hard drive into your PC.  Just make sure you have a SATA cable laying around. 

I've been buying these 8TB's and putting them into my unraid server personally.  People have been reporting that they get Barracuda Pro drives in theirs, though I've only been getting Seagate Barracuda's in mine.  still 7200 rpm, 256mb cache... 8TB for $150.  Amazing price.

You can also find WD Easystore 8 TB's go on sale for as low as $120.  They are sold exclusively through BestBuy.  They contain either WD Red's or White Labels.  Only problem with white labels (which are essentially red's) is their 3.3v.  So if you have an older motherboard/power supply that has trouble with the 3.3v you'll have to put some electrical tape on the power connector to fix it.  If that sounds too advance for you, just buy the Seagates at $150 and remove the drives from the enclosure.

**Disclaimer** you do void your warranty when you do this so 1.) Test the drive before you remove from the enclosure and 2.) understand if the drive fails after a few months or a year, you can't return it because you shucked it.

On that note, I haven't had a single Seagate fail on me in years.  Ever since that 3TB bad batch incident that happened, Seagate has drastically fixed themselves. 

Also to note, they use PMR instead of SMR, but I highly doubt that's something you'd ever notice in your normal gaming use.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply