Expectations:
5 years

Usage:
Gaming

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: 4130964

Specifications:
Buying my son a new gaming computer. Have to be honest not sure what to get. I chose the below and looking for opinions on the configuration. He is online all the time so I am worried about overheating. Monitor will be 4k
Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i9-10900X (10-Core) (Boost Up to 4.5 GHz)

Motherboard: MSI X299 PRO (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3600MHz HyperX Fury RGB <br><strong></strong>

Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Optical Drive: - No Thanks

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong>

Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 870 EVO) <br><strong></strong>

Storage Set 3: - No Thanks

RAID Config: - No Thanks

RAID Card: - No Thanks

Internet Access: Wired PCI-E ASUS XG-C100C (10 GbE) (1x RJ45 Connector) <br><strong></strong>

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback) <br><strong></strong>

HPC Processor: - No Thanks

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Airflow Control: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

LaserMark: Option Not Available

Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)

Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)

Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

Office: - No Thanks

Mouse Pad: - No Thanks

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: - No Thanks

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: EVGA X17 Gaming Mouse <br><strong></strong>

Branded Gear: - No Thanks

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 3:53am
Nope. Good thing you asked! Your config is a somewhat behind-the-times heavy number cruncher for scientific endeavor or data crunching. You've overspent and it's not suitable for gaming.

How 'bout I save you around $1150 and recommend a cutting-edge gamer with no weakness?Try this:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?
id=4132290

It's EVERYTHING he'll need for high framerate gaming on Ultra or High settings for at least 5 years on a 4K monitor.

AMD has surpassed Intel over the last couple of years in many areas. The 5800X is NOT a compromise. If you must have Intel, here's your rig:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4132299

I don't like this one as much, because the only motherboard upgrade available here for Intel gaming is overkill. But it sure has a cool name.

Either one is a killer rig. The CPUs are very nearly the same performance. 32GB of RAM Is more than needed right now, but assures no worries well into the future. An 850W power supply is more than enough. The 1 TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe SSD is both faster and cheaper that the Firecuda. The 870 EVO is a fine selection for secondary storage.

The RTX 3080 Ti is cutting-edge and the premier GPU for 4K gaming. You picked it, I kept it, but it only has about a 10% edge over the 3080 but costs ~44% more. NO ONE says it's worth it. If the 4K monitor is a 60Hz model, the 3080 Ti is a waste. Up to you. The 3080 will do great, and there are new GPUs coming out next year, that will outperform both of them, hopefully at reasonable prices. You do know GPUS are all selling at 2-2.5 times MSRP right now, yes?

The Velox is a highly respected case, but the window is on the right side, so the motherboard is mounted upside down and the video card name/logo will be upside down. The Lumos is also a very good choice with glass all around, and looks great with RGB fans in it. They both have great airflow for lower temps.

Questions?   
Anthon94 View Drop Down

Quote Anthon94 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:56am
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate you spending the time to get me in the right direction.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 10:28am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 4:03am
It's a pleasure.

Your set-up would have worked, but had several problems. Besides wasting some cash, probably the most glaring problem is that the CPU class you picked is over two years old, and on an obsolete Peripheral Connect Interface express (or PCIe) interface. PCIe Generation 4, is twice as fast as the older one, and obviously the future of PC operation.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 7:52pm
Cretae,

I have had a chance to read several of your recommended configurations. You have certainly taking a lot of effort to help your fellow Digital Storm Forum members!

You did me right especially after I have reviewed the many reviews on the components in my new beast you helped me create!

Digital Storm should pull out a Digital Storm Performance T-Shirt from their time capsule and send you one as a way to show thanks.

You ain't getting mine! My black performance Digital Storm T-Shirt is still performing like my 12 year old DS computer build. I wear it all the time and it is a real conversation starter! Surprised it is not in threads by now but it was a DS quality build!

I sure miss DST4ME but you have definitely covered his absence with your excellent config advice. People don't realize how serious Digital Storm staff are to insure a solid machine that runs for years. Of course they have people like you & me that have become their disciples because of their excellent product & service.

Digital Storm has the best Forum members who truly care about the folks they interact with.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 5:04am
Thanks for the kind review.

When I first came around in early 2010, there certainly was a thriving and active community here. DST4ME led the way with his knowledge and technical expertise. However he had an abundance of help. There was justin.kerr, the competitive overclocker, Dragoonseal, the SSD expert, AndydViking, Onkel_Ken, !Ender_, and those two wonderful youngsters, ahblahblah and Bullseye. Remember? It was a great time.

About mid-summer 2010, DST was in a motorcycle accident, and just couldn't participate daily anymore. I found him so inspiring that I tried to step in and recommend systems the way I thought he would. !Ender_ helped fill the gap as well, and the others were around for support. IIRC, when DST4ME could come back strong, I just drifted away. Like you recently, I came back in 2017 to ask about a new rig to replace my 2010 model. I was amazed to find DST4ME still here, giving occasional great advice, while bprat22 was the main player, and clearly had been for a long time with over 19000 posts.

This time, I met Tidgxor, over 10000 posts, hoserator my pal with over 5000 at the time, Snaike, our terrific moderator, 8000+, and some regulars from the past that were no longer fully engaged, but dropped by, like Dax and Meller, Forrest and oldlady RPGer. I wanted to be a part of this great group again. Sadly, DST4ME and bprat22 wandered away, and I am apparently the guy, but with a lot of help from my friends. It's a role that I take very seriously. There is a mantle here that has kind of defaulted to me, and I have admired those others I've mentioned so much that I do all I can to maintain their legacy. I strive to stick pretty close to the facts, and just tell it like it is.

It gives me a lot of pleasure to educate, and especially to help folks get the most out of their budget. That's my story, and I deserve no special thanks for just following the pattern. DST4ME with over 37000 posts, and bprat22 with over 19000, are the Greats.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:17am
Cretae,

Thank you for filling me in on the what has been happening over the years. The last few years before I retired I was working stressful 12 hour shifts that occasionally ran into 36 hours on more than one occasion sitting in front of the computer.

After that I just felt like running screaming away from computers after a shift and didn't get on my computer for fun for a long time. Since I have retired I play on my computer everyday doing this & that but hadn't stopped by the DS Forum in years.

It has been enjoyable reading and participating on the forum again. I have been spending a lot of time reading component reviews and comparisons on the internet too.

To have a Digital Storm computer for 12 years and only repair has been replacing the CPU fan within the Coolmaster V8 big cooler is more amazing than I give it credit. DS builds are quality and simply just keep on running for years on end.

Glad to be back among the DS family again!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 3:03am
We are glad to welcome you back!

I don't have much of a tech background, just a long history. Recently, we've had a lot of help in that regard from GrandesBollas, MrCheetah, Nomad1970, fwfdfireman, and JamesAstro. I hope they will stay engaged. I hope you may be able to add some expertise from time to time. It works best when we all chip in. Thanks for your interest.    
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:14am
I chip in when I feel qualified, which isn't that often. There are quite a few here that have more in depth knowledge of the components out there and how they work together than I. I can attest to what I have, some gaming info and provide links to things I have read. BUT..... I am always checking and reading in these forums.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:45am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 3:42am
fwfdfireman, your input has been very welcome. You have our thanks.   
 Post Reply Post Reply