FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Has anyone had a positive PC VR experience?

Post Date: 2021-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Has anyone had a positive PC VR experience?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 10:26pm
Hey Folks,

I keep hearing about how great PC VR gaming is, and during the last 3 years I tried the Oculus Rift S, the Oculus Quest, and more recently the Valve Index. I had the same issues with all of them:

• The resolution is terrible. You can easily see the pixels.
• Aliasing is terrible too. Straight edges are full of crawling pixels.
• The focus is terrible as you look away from the center of view.
• Internal reflections cause huge amounts of glare.
• Text is barely legible in older games.
• The number of true VR games is limited.
• You can play some older games, but only by purchasing extra software like VorpX or Virtual Desktop.
• Getting games to work is a chore. For example, Star Wars Squadrons is supposed to support VR. However, out of the box it is unusable. After doing some some online research I discovered that you have to edit a text file in the program folder, find the entry for disabling HDR, and toggle that value before the game will be playable in VR. I had similar experiences with other games.

I'm just curious: Has anyone here purchased a VR headset for use with their PC, and used it for more than a month or two before going back to playing on a 2D monitor? I just don't get it. The quality is sooooo much higher when playing on a monitor.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 8:03pm
James,

That was a real buzz kill about VR!

I have glaucoma with a 3rd operation on 28th of Oct so I am lucky to do 1080 and still enjoy it. That is why I held off on getting the 3080 or 3090 and stuck with the 3070.

I was thinking about VR but it doesn't sound like there are a lot of positive reviews so far.

I remember the old View Master 3D travel series slides as a kid that made you feel like you were in all these exotic places.

Maybe VR will be improved, I just hope if VR does get good that my 3070 will still support it at 1080.

I appreciate and respect your input by the way!

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 12:56am
Sorry for the buzz kill. :)

Here is a video that shows what I'm talking about in regards to glare. This is because most VR headset use Fresnel lenses:

https://youtu.be/n6seDmtwWMQ?t=454

I was shocked by how bad the Valve Index was. It's considered by many to be the best VR headset, and it costs $1000, so I was expecting $1000 worth of optical quality. Instead, I put the headset on, saw all the glare, could barely read the menu text in games, and honestly thought I had a buggy unit. As it turns out, it's just a regular Valve Index, and most VR headsets have this problem.

Next I'm going to try the HP Reverb G2 and see how that goes. It has far less glare, and has a much higher resolution display. However, I hear it has some controller tracking problems. That doesn't concern me so much, because I'll be playing Star Wars Squadrons and MS Flight Simulator, which don't use hand controllers. I'll report back later, and let you know how it goes.

In the mean time, I'm waiting for someone to build a VR headset with high quality lenses. There is always the Varjo VR3, but it costs $3200, and requires a subscription. No thanks. However, at least it shows that high quality VR is possible. I'm sure in a few years this quality will cost $1000 or less, and I'll finally be happy. Here's another video that talks about the Varjo VR3.

https://youtu.be/2Ah1faUUCwI
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:03am
James,
Thanks for the info and especially the review links. I didn't realize that the images would have glare that bad. VR will have to be on the back burner for a while.

I have a big Sony 3D TV that has great 3D but there is little good quality 3D produced and when a movie uses 2D to 3D after production it just isn't the same to real filming done in 3D. The Sony does work quite well in 2D but I wouldn't have bought it if I thought 3D was just a fad that I bought into as regards TVs at the time.

Thanks again for relating your VR experiences.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 3:14am
Jeez, I had the same experience! When I saw a couple of 3D movies in theaters several years ago, I was so impressed, I wanted to bring that home. It worked well, as you say when the movie was in 3D originally. I thought it was great quality, and very realistic.

I guess they just didn't sell enough units of either the TVs or the DVDs. Drat! It was very good IMHO.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:39am
I have a ROKU but places that say they have 3D never seem to be working. I need to find a free 3D source that my ROKU can connect to. 3D is awesome when watching a real 3D movie.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm
VR doesn't seem like it will be anything I will be doing for a while either. Cool concept and may be really functional some day unless it becomes like 3D TVs.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:03pm
I think VR is here to stay. It's a really cool idea, and some of the games are amazing. However, I think we have a long way to go before it becomes anything close to mainstream. We need MUCH higher resolution displays, no cords, smaller and lighter headsets, and high quality lenses.

The current state of VR reminds me of cell phones in the late 80's. They were the size of bricks, had enormous antennas, and were really cool...but impractical. Let's hope VR dramatically improves during the next 5 years.

In the mean time, I returned my Valve Index, and my HP Reverb G2 just arrived. I haven't played with it much, but so far the visual quality seems much higher. I'll report back after I try a few games.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 4:34pm
James,

Let us know how the HP Reverb G2 works out for you. The Digital Storm Forum is the best place to get the real information on new build suggestions and review of products Gamers have actually put to the test while Gaming!
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:21pm
After watching reviews of current VR tech, I think, I'd rather have a planetarium-style dome projection display for that type of experience at this point.
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 11:32pm
Well, I have bad news. The HP Reverb G2 has all the same problems that the other headsets have. I'm finally giving up on VR.

The HP had glare, poor focus off-center, and the pixels were clearly visible. It also had the additional problem of being a Windows Mixed Reality headset. That's just another layer of complications. For example, if you want to adjust the resolution of the headset, you can do it in Windows Mixed Reality, SteamVR, or in-game. They all stack on top of each other, and it's really confusing.

Out of the box I couldn't get Star Wars Squadrons to play until I edited one of it's profiles with a text editor. And then performance was abysmal on my RTX 3090. It only got 50 FPS which looks really bad in VR. I think that means it was only getting 25 FPS per eye.

I played with it for a couple of hours, read a lot of posts online, and finally figured out how to lower the resolution to a point where I could get 90 FPS (45 per eye). I'm really shocked that a popular VR game requires all this research and editing to run properly. It drives home my opinion that VR is a gimmick at this point, and is only for enthusiasts who are willing to tinker.

I asked a few questions online about why text is so blurry. One of the responses was, "It's not too bad. You just have to remember to look with your head, and not your eyes." Ugggh. I'm not willing to play games that require me to look with my head. VR feels like a beta, or a technology demonstration at this point.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 4:00am
Sad. I think you're right that it's a work in progress that's trying hard to perfect itself to where it's more viable. It's certainly not good when you must tweak things just to get near acceptable.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
James,

With that Beast of a system you have I would have hoped that the VR experience would have been like those alluded to in movies where you literally feel like you are there.

Obviously the VR technology just isn't ready for prime time and if it wasn't an amazing experience on your well equipped machine it would be absolutely awful on what the average Gamer might be using.

This really is an important thread and hopefully it will be updated by others with more input as time goes by. You have provided technical details of the situation that will be valuable for people to consider before venturing into VR.
 Post Reply Post Reply